Ideas for Shrimp Recipie?

Started by bedtimeprayers, March 11, 2022, 05:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedtimeprayers

I'm making shrimp for our family dinner tonight. However, there are four of us, and I find that shrimp is never enough.
We usually cook enough for my parents to take to work the next day. I find that if I make shrimp and rice, even jumbo shrimp, there's not enough left for both of them to take to work, and since its saturday tomorrow, for me and my sister to eat it as well.
Shrimp only lasts when we make it with pasta. But I don't want to make shrimp pasta every time.
Does anyone know what else I could add to the shrimp and rice that would make it more filling and last more?
Behold, the Handmaiden of the Lord, let it be done to me according to Thy Word.

red solo cup

Make gumbo. Fry sausage or kilbasa. Saute peppers and onions. Add diced tomatos, cumin, cayene, bay leaf, 4 cups of chicken broth. Simmer for half an hour then add shrimp.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Maximilian

Quote from: red solo cup on March 11, 2022, 05:39:45 PM
Make gumbo. Fry sausage or kilbasa. Saute peppers and onions. Add diced tomatos, cumin, cayene, bay leaf, 4 cups of chicken broth. Simmer for half an hour then add shrimp.

Not on a Friday, especially in Lent, especially on an Ember Day.

bedtimeprayers

Quote from: Lynne on March 11, 2022, 07:48:22 PM
https://www.camelliabrand.com/recipes/cafe-reconciles-white-beans-and-shrimp/

(I haven't tried this yet but it looks good)
This is actually a very good idea, thank you. I've always liked white beans but have never made them. Now I have an incentive to do it :D
Behold, the Handmaiden of the Lord, let it be done to me according to Thy Word.

james03

Shrimp and Crab Gumbo:

Onion, Celery, Bell pepper
Chicken Bullion (exclude during abstinence days, use vegetable bullion)
Garlic powder
Bay leaves
REFINED coconut oil
flour
Shrimp
Canned crab.
Salt, pepper, cayenne powder.  Easy way, buy Tony Chachere's seasoning (green can), otherwise 75% salt, 25% black powder, 25% cayenne.  Add to heat level desired.  About a Tablespoon or two
Sliced okra if you like it.  I don't like it and don't use it.

Make a roux.  First, and critical, cut up vegetables 1/3,1/3, 1/3 and fill a 4-cup measuring cup.  Set close by the stove.  I have started using REFINED coconut oil for the fat.  Taste it before using.  It should have zero taste.  If you taste coconut, you bought the wrong stuff.  2/3 cup flour and 1/2 oil.  Med high heat.  Mix it in and it should cover the bottom of your pot and look light tan.  When the fat starts bubbling, start mixing with a wooden spoon.  Mixing is the key.  Once it "goes", it browns fast and looks like "crumbs".  You want a red brown look to it.

Don't waste time, once the color is right, dump in the vegetables and mix in vigorously with the roux.  This quenches the process and keeps you from burning it.  Turn heat to medium.  Fill up the measuring cup to 4 cups water.  Give vegetables a stir, wait a few seconds, then dump in the water.  Vegetables should have been lightly softened.

Add bullion (2 cubes), bay leaves, teaspoon of garlic powder, and tablespoon or 2 of the pepper/salt mix.  Stir it in.

Add shrimp and 1-2 cans of crab.  Crab is just for taste, so you can use the cheaper flaked canned crab (Chicken of the See brand or equiv.)  Lump is better, but not necessary.

Simmer for 4 hours.  Stir it occasionally.   Serve over rice.

To store, mix in the gumbo with the rice and store in the refrigerator.  Note you'll get a hard crust of coconut oil on top the next day and the rest will be really thick.  It returns to stew consistency after you nuke it.  If you make a bowl, make sure to break some of the hardened coconut oil up and throw it in the bowl with the rest of the gumbo.  Microwave.  Gumbo is always a lot better the next day.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

queen.saints

Shrimp curry stew is a very good and filling Lenten meal, especially since shellfish can be eaten following even the strict Eastern fasting rules.

You fry off red curry paste in the bottom of the pot, add coconut milk, fill the whole pot with chopped up vegetables, and add enough water to boil the ingredients, but not too much, as the vegetables add their own water. Once that is cooked down enough to add space to the pot, add in the shrimp. It can simmer on the stove for as long as you need and the flavor only improves over the next few days, so it good for leftovers and lunches. There is no need for rice or anything if you add in potatoes with the vegetables.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

moneil

A couple of days after the fact, but perhaps useful for the future.

The first thing I thought of "Is there a side dish?", and a salad comes readily to mind.  I realize that fresh produce and salad greens are more expensive this time of year unless you have a greenhouse, but a favorite is a quinoa and arugula salad with vinaigrette dressing.  In the winter this can be more economical than a Caesar or other green lettuce salad as the bulk is quinoa rather than fresh greens.

You will find lots of variations on this salad with a search, and one can do a lot with it.  Sunflower seeds, cashew pieces, almond slices, a grated or shredded hard cheese (such as parmesan), and many other things can be toppings.  If a vinaigrette dressing is too tart for one's palate that can be toned down with some honey.  Fresh spinach can be added to or substituted for the arugula.  Other additions could be scallions, tomato slices, sliced olives, bell peppers, feta or mozzarella cheese bites, the list could go on.

Besides a side dish the other thing that came to mind is to bulk up the shrimp dish with a green vegetable such as broccoli, which also adds color.  Frozen broccoli bites and pieces are fairly economical as compared to florets.