Homeschooling recommendation for math

Started by Jayne, February 21, 2022, 02:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

I am currently homeschooling my 5 yo granddaughter (although her parents intend to put her back in school in September).  I thought my homeschooling days were done, but here I am.

I have discovered a new math program that I am really enjoying, so I thought I would share.  It's called Life of Fred.  It is not for everybody but was a good match for our situation.  My granddaughter was starting to think that she does not like math.  This program teaches math concepts through a very silly story about a boy named Fred.  This story is so much fun that we have to limit it to one chapter a day or she we go through the whole thing at once.  It was exactly what we needed.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

diaduit

Jayne

Here's a page with links to sample pages:  https://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/31samplepages.html

We are currently on the first book.  This is a pdf for the first 20 pages: https://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/lof%20EA%20sample%20pages.pdf

This is enough to get a feel for how it works.

bedtimeprayers

Behold, the Handmaiden of the Lord, let it be done to me according to Thy Word.

Christina_S

That's awesome! I couldn't stand Life of Fred when I did it for pre-algebra, but I'm glad she's having success with it. It can be a dangerous thing when kids start to think that they're inherently bad at math or that they hate it.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

OzarkCatholic

We have the whole series! My wife has taught Mathematics at the university level for 15+ years, so we have a litany of resources available. But with our 6 year old, Life of Fred is a favorite.

We also had to limit Life of Fred to one chapter a day, for what it's worth!
Feels like Groundhog Day again.

MundaCorMeum

We have the first two books in this series.  We don't use them for formal math studies, but I really like it as a supplement.

Jayne

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on February 27, 2022, 08:57:10 PM
We have the first two books in this series.  We don't use them for formal math studies, but I really like it as a supplement.

Yes, I'm using it as a supplement along with MathUSee.  While this is not as much fun as LoF, my granddaughter seems to like it after all.  We were doing a superhero themed craft the other day and needed to put a name on our "hero".  She decided to call him Mr. Demme, the name of the teacher on the instructional videos.

I think I am on the right track if she thinks that math teachers are super heroes.   8)