Recent posts

The Bookstore / Re: Normandt' Catholic Meditat...
Last post by Normandt - Today at 04:38:20 AM
143. The Lord is with us

Jesus Loves us, he doesn't force anyone and he sets us free. Jesus accepts what we want and he will not give more than we ask. Freely, if our request is not precise, we risk finding ourselves with very little.

Sometimes we ask, but we don't believe in it. Sometimes we want to follow Christ, but there are too many things or people who hold us back, or we aren't vigilant enough.

Sometimes the Lord will take his time, because we are not in a hurry to change lanes. Sometimes asking something from the Lord will lead us where we would not want to go. It helps us to grow in faith because we have to learn to adjust to God as true disciples. Let's check carefully whether our requests really lead us to the house of the Father, through the Son, in the Spirit.

God can do anything and everything is offered to us. But it is still necessary that we accept what comes from him. When the priest says, at the beginning of Mass: "The Lord be with you," the Lord is already with us, but he always leaves us free to answer, to want God present with us.

This does not mean: "The Lord may be with us." We know that the Lord is always with us, but do we still want him with us, again and now? That's the question. At each mass, we are free to answer.

The new American Bible, 2011-2014
Book: ... for Love, Normand Thomas
The Coffee Pot / Re: Catholic Memes
Last post by clau clau - Today at 04:01:29 AM
The Coffee Pot / Re: Catholic Memes
Last post by clau clau - Today at 04:00:01 AM
General Catholic Discussion / Re: Follow-up on N.O.M.
Last post by queen.saints - Today at 02:17:42 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on April 30, 2024, 05:26:34 PMAfter all, aren't these things just exactly what caused the Pharisees to reject Jesus and to call down destruction upon themselves and on their children? They wanted to win the argument with Jesus rather than to focus on the Truth.

Yes, such a good point.

Faith is the one and only way out of this. There was no way out of the argument with Jesus for the Pharisees than to believe the unbelievable: He was God.

Perhaps the something good that has happened to Miriam is an increase in this virtue. I was told she is the one who posted this excellent and practical Examination of Conscience which starts off with "Faith".

https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=28009.msg576039#msg576039

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/thechurch/sacraments/adults.htm

Though, sometimes it happens that we begin with the best of intentions and it turns into an argument, because of our weaknesses. Imagine if one of the Pharisees -the youngest and stupidest- came to the synagogue one morning and said,

"Guess what, everyone?! Great news! Jesus is God! Isn't that so lovely and wonderful? Now we can stop arguing and leave everything and go follow Him and be happy together forever and ever."

It probably wouldn't go over very well.

It would start a big fight and even more arguing.

He'd probably even get stoned.

But the little Pharisee hadn't stopped being stupid, just because he'd become less "perfidious" and would be angry and upset at this negative reaction to what he had expected to be joyful news.

Which is why we need Hope and Charity as well if we want to be like St. Stephen and have even our arguments with Pharisees yield fruit a thousand fold, instead of "profiting nothing."

https://www.drbo.org/chapter/51007.htm#:~:text=58%20And%20they%20stoned%20Stephen,fell%20asleep%20in%20the%20Lord.
Quote from: Miriam_M on Today at 12:51:41 AMOh, it's about popes renouncing their own authority.

Exactly, because it's not their own authority, they didn't make themselves Pope, they don't make themselves infallible etc it was given to them by God by virtue of Christ's promise to St Peter and his successors, it's not theirs to renounce.

Quote from: Exodus 4:10-1110 Moses said: I beseech thee, Lord. I am not eloquent from yesterday and the day before: and since thou hast spoken to thy servant, I have more impediment and slowness of tongue. 11 The Lord said to him: Who made man's mouth? or who made the dumb and the deaf, the seeing and the blind? did not I? 12 Go therefore and I will be in thy mouth: and I will teach thee what thou shalt speak.

We cannot have two Popes, I know the seat was vacant and Pope Benedict XVI was validly elected as St Peter's successor, thus receiving the keys and authority promised, I know of no such thing when it comes to Bergoglio, nobody came down from Heaven to remove the keys from Pope Benedict XVI and thus call another conclave and Pope Benedict XVI, being a Divine Institution, not originating from himself, does not have that authority. The keys are not his to give and renounce at will, they belong to God who gives them to St Peters successors. 

God Bless
Oh, it's about popes renouncing their own authority.
Quote from: Miriam_M on Today at 12:26:41 AMI've read your other posts on this page, but I'm not clear on what you mean by "renouncing" in this case. Which popes are renouncing what or whom?

Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Celestine V renounced their positions, which is a Divine Institution, thus not for them to reject once appointed as valid successor and given the keys and authority.

The whole 'resignation' clause was drafted by Boniface VIII who 'succeeded' (usurped) Pope Celestine V, then immediately imprisoned Pope Celestine V where he died, then Boniface VIII formalized this falsehood.

Aaron spoke for Moses and Aaron's rod budded and Christ called St Peter the 'Rock' upon which He would build the Church, both Aaron and St Peter had a line of successors, but it was not in their power to 'resign' or 'reject' that office which was given to them by God. Moses may have chosen Aaron to speak for him just as the College of Cardinals chooses St Peter's successor, but God put His Divine seal on it so to speak and when God is involved, it is out of their hands. 

When the College of Cardinals come together and elect a valid successor to St Peter after the previous one has died, then we have the protection of the Holy Spirit by virtue of Christ's words to St Peter, but there is no such protection for 'resignations'.

Did Pope Benedict XVI or Pope Celestine V receive some kind of 'sign' to renounce their authority and office as successor to St Peter? They either never were the successor to St Peter or they were the successor to St Peter until death and therefore good or bad, nobody has the right to supplant them.

God Bless 
josh,

I've read your other posts on this page, but I'm not clear on what you mean by "renouncing" in this case. Which popes are renouncing what or whom?
General News and Discussion / Re: Simping for Eva
Last post by Greg - April 30, 2024, 11:30:19 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 28, 2024, 08:06:55 PMShe's been on the right-wing commentary sphere since 2019.

She married yet and started making babies? 

:shrug:

She is married.  No babies yet, but can't judge her for that. She seems the type to want babies.  I can see her punditing 8 months pregnant.  In fact it adds to her 'great replacement' brand she spoke about at CPAC.
General Catholic Discussion / Re: Mission of Divine Mercy re...
Last post by josh987654321 - April 30, 2024, 10:46:32 PM
Also just a side note, we the faithful are expected to stick with the Vicar of Christ through the ups and downs, yet they themselves can supposedly just renounce it at will? Talk about double standards.

The Vicar of Christ is not God, his authority comes from God therefore he cannot use this authority to renounce such authority because it's not his to renounce.

Quote from: Exodus 4:10-1110 Moses said: I beseech thee, Lord. I am not eloquent from yesterday and the day before: and since thou hast spoken to thy servant, I have more impediment and slowness of tongue. 11 The Lord said to him: Who made man's mouth? or who made the dumb and the deaf, the seeing and the blind? did not I? 12 Go therefore and I will be in thy mouth: and I will teach thee what thou shalt speak.

God Bless