Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Quote from: Archer on October 01, 2013, 09:48:39 PM
Quote from: Larry S. on September 27, 2013, 04:15:48 PM
One of my all time favorites! To me, this and VERTIGO where the peak of Hitchcock's career. I know many people love PSYCHO and THE BIRDS, but to me they aren't anywhere near as entertaining as Hitchcock's late fifties films(even though they are excellent films in their own right).

Vertigo was pretty good.  I confess that I haven't seen Psycho or The Birds yet.  My favorites (in no particular order) are Rear Window, Spellbound, To Catch a Thief, Dial M for murder, Notorious, and I Confess.

I like all of those. Strangers on a Train is another good one if you haven't seen it. I Confess is an underrated gem.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Larry

I watched the original version of THE FLY last night with Vincent Price to start my October scary movie fest. It was on Blu-ray, and the color and Cinemascope photography looked outstanding.

Archer

Quote from: Larry S. on October 01, 2013, 10:17:38 PM
One of my all time favorites! To me, this and VERTIGO where the peak of Hitchcock's career. I know many people love PSYCHO and THE BIRDS, but to me they aren't anywhere near as entertaining as Hitchcock's late fifties films(even though they are excellent films in their own right).

Vertigo was pretty good.  I confess that I haven't seen Psycho or The Birds yet.  My favorites (in no particular order) are Rear Window, Spellbound, To Catch a Thief, Dial M for murder, Notorious, and I Confess.

I like all of those. Strangers on a Train is another good one if you haven't seen it. I Confess is an underrated gem.

I just looked up Strangers on a Train on IMDb and will definitely have to check it out.  Thanks for the recommendation!
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Larry

Quote from: Archer on October 02, 2013, 09:43:54 PM
Quote from: Larry S. on October 01, 2013, 10:17:38 PM

I just looked up Strangers on a Train on IMDb and will definitely have to check it out.  Thanks for the recommendation!

It may be my favorite Hitchcock picture, as it was the first one I saw as a kid on television. I won't give anything important away, but all the scenes at a small town carnival are unforgettable. Oh, and the villain of the piece is definitely supposed to be a pervy homosexual. Politically incorrect by today's standards.

Larry

I watched THE EXORCIST tonight as part of my October horror film festival. I should probably stick to the more fun horror flicks like the classic Frankenstein movies. Don't get me wrong, it's one of the best pictures ever made. But it's not fun at all, and the evil portrayed is very real, and very frightening. There was one line I didn't remember from previous viewings. The young priest, Fr. Karras, who is questioning his faith, asks the older and wiser priest Fr. Merrin why the devil would choose an innocent little girl to possess. Fr. Merrin's answer: "He wants us to despair. He wants  to reduce us to believe that we are base and inhuman animals, and make us believe that God could never love us". Profound stuff. I so wish Hollywood would make more movies that take our Faith seriously.

Larry

Murders in the Rue Morgue(1932) with Bela Lugosi. Lugosi is great, and so is the art direction. But the dialogue and supporting cast almost sink the movie. Almost.

Bonaventure

Runner Runner. Moral of the story: don't make money in a sleazy way.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Larry

The Walking Dead, not the AMC series, but the original movie of that title with Boris Karloff from 1936. Another great morality tale, disguised as a horror picture. The last line of the film: "The Lord Our God is a jealous God".

Elizabeth

The House on Telegraph Hill  Not bad at all, and my little girl liked it, too.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bonaventure

Quote from: Elizabeth on October 07, 2013, 10:30:26 AM
The House on Telegraph Hill  Not bad at all, and my little girl liked it, too.

I've been on that hill many times.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Elizabeth

Quote from: Bonaventure on October 07, 2013, 02:21:29 PM
[

I've been on that hill many times.

Me, too.  The very fondest memories I have are of SF.

voxxpopulisuxx

Gravity

Great great 3d movie...but Ironically barren of any gravitas. not sure the 24 bux was worth it...but its good for teenagers and familys.( no sex/nudity...just some language stuff) ..great space geek stuff....the physics seem spot on and extremely realistic looking.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

LouisIX

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on October 14, 2013, 04:00:26 PM
Gravity

Great great 3d movie...but Ironically barren of any gravitas. not sure the 24 bux was worth it...but its good for teenagers and familys.( no sex/nudity...just some language stuff) ..great space geek stuff....the physics seem spot on and extremely realistic looking.

I was originally hoping it'd be philosophical in a nod to 2001, but it appears that the movie isn't really like that.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: LouisIX on October 14, 2013, 04:11:42 PM
Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on October 14, 2013, 04:00:26 PM
Gravity

I was originally hoping it'd be philosophical in a nod to 2001, but it appears that the movie isn't really like that.
thats the way they hyped it..but no deal. There are obvious nods to previous space movies like 2001 and many others..even Wall-e....but no real mystical stuff. Just awsome effects
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.