Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

LouisIX

I saw Django Unchained tonight which rounds out all of the Oscar noms for Best Picture for me.  I think it was a weak year.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Bonaventure

Quote from: LouisIX on February 24, 2013, 02:27:20 AM
I saw Django Unchained tonight which rounds out all of the Oscar noms for Best Picture for me.  I think it was a weak year.

Do you recommend it?

If its between Lincoln and Argo for best pic, I have to go with Argo. Lincoln was great but it's just like a left wing history some Ivory Tower commie would make me read.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Gottmitunsalex

And of course, everyone forgot about For Greater Glory...
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Bonaventure

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on February 24, 2013, 02:29:36 AM
And of course, everyone forgot about For Greater Glory...

I was never even taught about the Cristeros in 13 years of expensive "Catholic" schooling.

Christknight104

Argo. A good film, which felt very American and patriotic at times :). The audience literally clapped at the end at the theater.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Christknight104 on February 24, 2013, 02:52:50 AM
Argo. A good film, which felt very American and patriotic at times :). The audience literally clapped at the end at the theater.

Haha.

Bonaventure

LouisIX

Quote from: Bonaventure on February 24, 2013, 02:28:38 AM
Quote from: LouisIX on February 24, 2013, 02:27:20 AM

Do you recommend it?

If its between Lincoln and Argo for best pic, I have to go with Argo. Lincoln was great but it's just like a left wing history some Ivory Tower commie would make me read.

I thought Argo was one of the weakest movies nominated.  Django was one of the better ones but ended up feeling even too Tarantino for Tarantino.  I was also uncomfortable with the degree to which the movie intended to be some racial catharsis with a black man killing every white guy in the movie.

Amour was my favorite, hands down.  The only problem was that a major event in the movie revolves around an act which the Church condemns.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Ben

Quote from: Bonaventure on February 24, 2013, 02:19:39 AM
Die Hard 5. Two thumbs up!

Ironically enough I checked out IMDB and I see it was directed by John Moore, the guy who directed Behind Enemy Lines.

Here are his credits:

2013 A Good Day to Die Hard

2008 Max Payne

2006 The Omen

2004 Flight of the Phoenix

2001 Behind Enemy Lines

I've seen all of these except Die Hard 5 and the only one that was halfway watchable was Flight of the Phoenix. I see people asking in the comments section if he's the worst major film director.

I think I'll pass on Die Hard 5!  ;D

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Ben on February 24, 2013, 02:10:02 PM

Ironically enough I checked out IMDB and I see it was directed by John Moore, the guy who directed Behind Enemy Lines....

....I think I'll pass on Die Hard 5!  ;D

I had to watch it, Die hard fan.. Not nearly as many cuss words as Die Hard. No Sex scenes.
But I was duped by the film trailer into believing it would have part of Beethoven's 9th Choral movement. What a sham! I am still waiting for it.

Other than that, it was entertaining a la mission impossible.

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Ben

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on February 24, 2013, 02:13:40 PM

Ironically enough I checked out IMDB and I see it was directed by John Moore, the guy who directed Behind Enemy Lines....

I had to watch it, Die hard fan.. Not nearly as many cuss words as Die Hard. No Sex scenes.
But I was duped by the film trailer into believing it would have part of Beethoven's 9th Choral movement. What a sham! I am still waiting for it.

Speaking of Mission, I recently saw the one with Seymour Hoffman. That guy should play a villain in action films more often!

tmw89

I've seen all of these except Die Hard 5 and the only one that was halfway watchable was Flight of the Phoenix. I see people asking in the comments section if he's the worst major film director.

I'd think that distinction would go to either Michael Bay or Uwe Boll...
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

tmw89

Quote from: Ben on February 24, 2013, 02:16:28 PM
Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on February 24, 2013, 02:13:40 PM

Speaking of Mission, I recently saw the one with Seymour Hoffman. That guy should play a villain in action films more often!

Ever seen Synecdoche, New York, Ben?  Saddest movie ever... and of course, it stars PSH.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!