Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erin is nice

Quote from: Elizabeth on April 08, 2014, 04:38:10 PM
Last night we watched The Passion of the Christ; have not done so for a few years.

It is still wonderful for meditating on the Sorrowful Mysteries, but the BVM is still so wrong.

Our Lady should have been much, much more beautiful and younger with delicate gestures. 

I think she was very pretty, and how could she possibly be any younger? Late 40s is totally appropriate.

Mono no aware

Quote from: erin is nice on April 08, 2014, 05:49:43 PM
Our Lady should have been much, much more beautiful and younger with delicate gestures. 

I think she was very pretty, and how could she possibly be any younger? Late 40s is totally appropriate.

I agree with you that the actress was appropriate, but it would've been a creative and provocative choice to have a younger (and transcendentally beautiful) actress in the role, since the curse of Original Sin is death and, by extension, the decay of age.  Our Lady being conceived without sin, it's frequently been presumed that she suffered no decay of age.  In most of the traditional artistic representations, she is usually kind of "ageless" in a way: not necessarily young, but certainly not old either.  Had Mel Gibson cast an obviously young actress, it might've been too jarring for modern audiences.

erin is nice

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 08, 2014, 06:01:46 PM

I agree with you that the actress was appropriate, but it would've been a creative and provocative choice to have a younger (and transcendentally beautiful) actress in the role, since the curse of Original Sin is death and, by extension, the decay of age.  Our Lady being conceived without sin, it's frequently been presumed that she suffered no decay of age.  In most of the traditional artistic representations, she is usually kind of "ageless" in a way: not necessarily young, but certainly not old either.  Had Mel Gibson cast an obviously young actress, it might've been too jarring for modern audiences.

Even though it would be appropriate in a way for Our Lady to never age, at the same time, people would have noticed and it would have brought her a lot of attention that she never would have wanted.

Mono no aware

Quote from: erin is nice on April 08, 2014, 06:12:34 PMEven though it would be appropriate in a way for Our Lady to never age, at the same time, people would have noticed and it would have brought her a lot of attention that she never would have wanted.

Agreed.  I think Mel Gibson probably opted to cast an older woman to avoid surprising a modern audience.  He'd already filled the project with enough controversy for one movie.

The really interesting choice, I think, was Satan as a pale human androgyne: a bald female with an overdubbed masculine voice.  Considering the recent nitpicking over the Noah movie, I'm surprised some posters here don't wonder why Satan wasn't a snake, or at least a horned demon with wings.

Roland Deschain2

Last night we watched The Passion of the Christ; have not done so for a few years.

It is still wonderful for meditating on the Sorrowful Mysteries, but the BVM is still so wrong.

Still the best Christ, St. John, Pontius Pilate, and Satan and everybody else, really.  All in all, a good thing for the kids and I on a Lenten school night to cry for the love of Our Lord.

I doubt Our Lady would have stood out at all given Her humility. I'm sure she looked like your typical Jewish woman of the era. Despite our Western renderings, our Lord and the Blessed Mother did not look like blue-eyed Germans.

"To our personal enemies, according to Christ's commandment, we must forgive everything; but with the enemies of God we cannot have peace!"- Archbishop Averky

"Life is a play in which for a short time one man represents a judge, another a general, and so on; after the play no further account is made of the dignity which each one had."- St John Chrysostom

Mono no aware

Quote from: Roland Deschain2 on April 08, 2014, 06:27:32 PMI doubt Our Lady would have stood out at all given Her humility. I'm sure she looked like your typical Jewish woman of the era. Despite our Western renderings, our Lord and the Blessed Mother did not look like blue-eyed Germans.

Couldn't a beautiful person still perfectly possess the virtue of humility?

Kaesekopf

Quote from: piabee on April 08, 2014, 11:27:23 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 07, 2014, 06:21:44 PM
Quote from: Adeodatus on April 06, 2014, 12:48:34 AM
Captain America 2. An excellent film.

So good.  Very enjoyable.

I kind of want to see it again.

I might go see it tonight.

Did you see it?  What'd you think?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

piabee

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 08, 2014, 08:38:52 PM
Quote from: piabee on April 08, 2014, 11:27:23 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 07, 2014, 06:21:44 PM
Quote from: Adeodatus on April 06, 2014, 12:48:34 AM
Captain America 2. An excellent film.

So good.  Very enjoyable.

I kind of want to see it again.

I might go see it tonight.

Did you see it?  What'd you think?

It was very long. Was there another scene after the credits after the scene after the credits?

Petrie

Quote from: Roland Deschain2 on April 08, 2014, 06:27:32 PM

Still the best Christ, St. John, Pontius Pilate, and Satan and everybody else, really.  All in all, a good thing for the kids and I on a Lenten school night to cry for the love of Our Lord.

I doubt Our Lady would have stood out at all given Her humility. I'm sure she looked like your typical Jewish woman of the era. Despite our Western renderings, our Lord and the Blessed Mother did not look like blue-eyed Germans.

Agreed.  I think it's the same reason why Jesus wasn't blonde and blue eyed in Mel's movie.  Generally, Mel Gibson's movie was raw.  There was nothing about it that seemed "beautiful".  It wasn't meant to be so.
Also known as 2Vermont in case you were wondering :-)

Elizabeth

Quote from: erin is nice on April 08, 2014, 06:12:34 PM

Even though it would be appropriate in a way for Our Lady to never age, at the same time, people would have noticed and it would have brought her a lot of attention that she never would have wanted.

Ah, but Queen of Angels
            Queen of Mercy
            Queen of Heaven
            Full of Grace
            Queen Conceived Without Original Sin
            etc. etc.
I insist she is the most beautiful, radiant, resplendent physically perfect, symmetrical, glorious lady ever!  No age, no ungraceful movement, no flaw everything absolutely perfect of all.  Ageless perfection, dignified Queen of All Virtues.  Anyway, not that actress. It was her expression, reminded me of a bird of prey most of the time.

Elizabeth

Had Mel Gibson cast an obviously young actress, it might've been too jarring for modern audiences.

No no no!  Almost every statue shows the Holy Mother as beautiful.  This was a fatal flaw -- everybody loves beauty.
Veronica was more beautiful than the actress who played Our Lady.

Elizabeth

Quote from: Roland Deschain2 on April 08, 2014, 06:27:32 PM

Roland!  You are breaking my heart! For starters, the eyes are the window to the soul.  That's one reason Caveziel was so good, even with brown contact lenses.

erin is nice

If Our Lady never aged over whatever age you think she should have stopped (and who determines that, anyway?), everyone would have been talking about her and staring at her, and it would have just gotten worse every year-- Do you really think the Blessed Mother would have wanted to be the center of worldly attention like that? I think she would have been very, very beautiful, but not frozen in time because she would not have wanted it (even though she deserved it).

Elizabeth

She is too full of Grace for God to have allowed any such nonsense.  Her Son's disciples would all have loved her, and her gaze would only inspire love and purity.  She had glorious St. Joseph beforehand. 

Also, I think it's possible there were more beautiful women in those days.

Archer

I prefer Simon Peter and Pontius Pilate from "Jesus of Nazareth."
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney