Microsoft Word download

Started by drummerboy, November 28, 2014, 07:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

So what's the deal with these free Microsoft Word downloads I find on search engines?  Are they legitimate or just asking for a virus?  My computer only has OpenOffice, which isn't good when you need to email work to people.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

LausTibiChriste

If it's not from the Microsoft site itself I'd bet a lot of money it's virus-laden. Can't OpenOffice send in .docx?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Daniel

Even if they don't contain malware, they're surely pirated.

Is there no alternative?  E.g. depending on the document you need to send, maybe you could send it as a text file (.txt) or rich text file (.rtf)?  (Microsoft Word can open both of those.)  Or as a PDF?  (Most people can at least view PDFs, but I'm not sure if OpenOffice can export them...).  Or if you have Gmail, you could use Google Drives (which lets you download as .docx)...

Prayerful

There's an MS Word reader and demo version available from the MS site. Anything else is crap that will fill the browser with popup causing adware. Open Office will do a decent job for anyone on a budget.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

drummerboy

I figured they were either virus or pirated. Thanks.

It seems OpenOffice can send in .docx.  I tried it on a relative's computer and it couldn't even read the file, but on my parents' computer it works fine.  I don't know sometimes...
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

james03

QuoteI figured they were either virus or pirated. Thanks.

It seems OpenOffice can send in .docx.  I tried it on a relative's computer and it couldn't even read the file, but on my parents' computer it works fine.  I don't know sometimes...

There are a couple of formats you can save to.  If docx is not compatible, use plain .doc.  This is identified as 2000/XP.  Worst case, use .rtf.

Note the older versions of .doc are available, so use the most recent.  Just go through the list and find the latest .doc version, which should be XP/2000 vs. using Windows 95 version.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Greg

I save all my open office documents in XP format.  Nobody has ever complained.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.