Water Damaged iPhone

Started by Archer, January 24, 2015, 05:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

So my wife ran her iPhone through half a cycle in the washing machine. The thing is definitely fried. I've seen water damaged phones go for parts on ebay and if possible I'd like to get some money for it. How do I make sure any stored personal data will not be recovered? Is it possible to do without being able to turn on the phone?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Akavit

Locate the data storage device in the phone and remove it.  Proceed to smash it into itty, bitty pieces.

Johnny Midnight

have you tried throwing it in the dryer?
"We are all the walking wounded in a world that is a war zone.  Everything we love will be taken from us, everything, last of all life itself."

The Curt Jester

I know a person who had her phone with her in the swimming pool and somehow didn't realize for awhile.   She stuck it in a bag of rice overnight and it worked just fine.   It wasn't a fragile iPhone.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: The Curt Jester on January 24, 2015, 07:41:45 PM
I know a person who had her phone with her in the swimming pool and somehow didn't realize for awhile.   She stuck it in a bag of rice overnight and it worked just fine.   It wasn't a fragile iPhone.

I have heard several people say this worked for them as well.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Archer

We tried drying it out with rice for 24 hours; no dice. I'm fairly certain it doesn't want to be resurrected.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Archer

Quote from: Johnny Midnight on January 24, 2015, 07:38:20 PM
LOL. Well played. And yes, I wanted to.

Gardener

Quote from: Archer on January 24, 2015, 08:44:56 PM
We tried drying it out with rice for 24 hours; no dice. I'm fairly certain it doesn't want to be resurrected.

Send it to Benny Hinn.

At the very worst he'll crack the screen when he slams his hand into it and yells, "be HEALED!"

Or send it to Joel Osteen with a note, "Dear Pastor Osteen, I was in the middle of completing a paypal transaction to donate to your ministry when my phone fell into the toilet. The phone is enclosed. If you could send me a new one so that I might have the opportunity to continue my donation, I'd be appreciative."

Or send it to Fr. Yozefu Ssemakula from that unCatholic "Healing of Families" book... tell him you once had a nokia and it broke, so obviously the brokenness has been passed on to your iPhone. If only he could assist you in healing your electronic family, you would be most appreciative.

There are many options.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Archer

LOL.  Thanks for the laugh, Jon. 

Archer

Google ain't helping much so I'm still looking for suggestions.   

Heinrich

Quote from: Archer on January 24, 2015, 08:46:00 PM
Quote from: Johnny Midnight on January 24, 2015, 07:38:20 PM
LOL. Well played. And yes, I wanted to.

That was a screen-got-spit-on LOL! Glad I didn't have a mouth full o'coffee. 
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Arun

Quote from: The Curt Jester on January 24, 2015, 07:41:45 PM

Does the rice work? I allays thought it was just from that joke, you know; if your phone gets wet put it in a bag of rice overnight.the rice will attract Asians who will fix your electronics for you.

Archer, I've had a lot of phones end up in bath tubs, washing machines, the ocean and so on and a lot of them still worked again after drying them out for like a week or longer. Sometimes it just needs longer to dry. If it still doesn't work after that it probably never will though.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Crapatalk 2

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Jacob

You might also try sticking it in the freezer.  I've read that works in a lot of cases as the water sublimates away.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Heinrich

Quote from: Jacob on January 30, 2015, 06:36:06 PM
You might also try sticking it in the freezer.  I've read that works in a lot of cases as the water sublimates away.

I wonder if sticking it in the oven works to help evaporate away the water.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.