Trump and the Neo-Con National Security General Flynn

Started by King Wenceslas, November 17, 2016, 12:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisIX

I ask this in all sincerity: what do those of you who support Trump think of his reneging on his promise to prosecute Hillary Clinton?
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Greg

He hasn't exactly reneged on it yet.  He's not the President till Jan 20th.

Nor did he exactly promise it either.  He suggested he was thinking about it in one of the debates, and certainly a lot of people (his supporters) were calling for it.  Locking Clinton up was not part of his manifesto.

I reckon Trump will do it.  But he's canny and he's gonna to find a way to lock her up without it reflecting badly on him.  He's certainly not going to telegraph his intention to have her prosecuted.

Give the man a chance.  If he hasn't begun a prosecution by 2018 then we can speculate it probably won't happen, but if he's looking for fresh crimes and fresh evidence it could take at least a year for his new DOJ to prepare a case and lodge charges.

Either way, I don't really care, because any President has to be judged on the totality of what he achieves.  I don't care if he doesn't build the wall or if he builds it but Mexico don't pay for it.  If he appoints very conservative Supreme Court judges and lowers taxes massively and kick starts the US economy by bringing jobs back then I'll consider that a relatively successful presidency.  If by 2023 America has 10,000 miles of repaved roads and renewed bridges and other infrastructure that will be more than any other President has delivered for decades.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

LouisIX

You're wrong both about his saying that he's not going to do and that he didn't say that he was going to do it for sure. See below.

Trump flips, now opposes prosecution for Clinton

By David Wright and Z. Byron Wolf, CNN
Updated 8:08 PM ET, Tue November 22, 2016

During the presidential campaign, President-elect Donald Trump pledged to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Hillary Clinton, would join crowds of his supporters in chants of "lock her up!" and said to her face during a debate that if he were president, "you'd be in jail."

But now that he actually will be president, Trump says he won't recommend prosecution of Clinton, who he told New York Times reporters has "suffered greatly."

What's more, he said the idea of prosecuting Clinton is "just not something I feel very strongly about."

The quotes come from the tweets of New York Times reporters Mike Grynbaum and Maggie Haberman, who attended a meeting between the President-elect and reporters and editors at the paper.

Source

"I don't want to hurt the Clintons, I really don't," Trump said, according to the tweets. "She went through a lot and suffered greatly in many different ways."

It's a stunning departure from the campaign rhetoric, which could come as a shock to some of the President-elect's most ardent supporters. The Times characterized one exchange as extending an olive branch to Clinton supporters.

"I think I will explain it that we, in many ways, will save our country," he said.

Source

Source

The about-face on his formal rival and suggestion that the Trump administration will not pursue further investigations of Clinton related to her private email server or the Clinton Foundation first came Tuesday morning from Trump's former campaign manager Kellyanne Conway, who said it would send a message to other Republicans.

"I think when the President-elect, who's also the head of your party, tells you before he's even inaugurated that he doesn't wish to pursue these charges, it sends a very strong message, tone and content" to fellow Republicans, Conway said in an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

At the second presidential debate in early October, Trump threatened Clinton, saying that "if I win, I am going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/22/politics/conway-no-clinton-charges-donald-trump/
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Elizabeth

Quote from: Greg on November 28, 2016, 03:54:21 PM
https://www.rt.com/usa/368406-trump-foreign-governments-clinton-foundation/
My impression of Trump saying "they're good people, I'd hate to hurt them" sounded promising for throwing criminals to the mercy of other bad people.  ;D

Prayerful

I honestly am a bit untrusting of the NYT and what it has to say on a key Pres-elect Trump crowd rouser, and partial promise. Foreign governments and his own AG and law officers are to take a look when the time allows. HRC could be awkward and disruptive at this point in the transition. Her likely support of the Stein troll effort is annoying enough. That in itself might make Trump more receptive to chasing HRC. She is coming really close to reneging on a deal on election that one side would concede.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Heinrich

Comrad Walty,

What's the guy you voted for doing to make America great again?

Thanks!

--H
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

LouisIX

Quote from: Greg on November 28, 2016, 03:54:21 PM
https://www.rt.com/usa/368406-trump-foreign-governments-clinton-foundation/

That's all well and good but Trump himself stated in the above interview that he isn't going to do what he specifically promised that he would do, namely get a special prosecutor from the DOJ look into her case.

Am I wrong in stating that he said that and that he's now saying that he's not going to do it anymore?

LouisIX

Quote from: Heinrich on November 28, 2016, 08:16:10 PM
Comrad Walty,

Thanks!

--H

Get some new material.

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: Aquila on November 19, 2016, 07:54:16 AM

Thanks for proving my point. I doubt you'll ever understand that you've been played by a con artist. That would require actual thinking, instead of emoting.

Not to mention a crystal ball. Where'd you get yours?
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Habitual_Ritual

" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

LouisIX

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on November 29, 2016, 06:46:16 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on November 29, 2016, 04:27:40 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on November 28, 2016, 08:16:10 PM
Comrad Walty,

Thanks!

--H

Get some new material.

Walty??

For some reason, Heinrich refuses to call me by my forum name.

Heinrich

I will refer to you as LouisIX from now on. I didn't intend to be disresprectful by using a former nom de plume.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Prayerful

Walter is named I'd associate with a Protestant farmer. :lol:
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Jayne

The name Walter makes me think of Walter Pidgeon, an actor with a career from 1920s to 1970s. He did everything. Broadway, silent films, early talkies, musicals, dramas, TV.  He won a bunch of acting awards. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.