Devotion to the Divine Wrath

Started by james03, August 14, 2021, 02:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

I've been kicking around starting a devotion to the Divine Wrath.  Too much peace, love, and mercy.  All good things, but we need something to balance it out.  How do popular devotions get started?  I'm think of creating a Litany for it.  Let Greg and clau contribute:

"Terror of sodomites, have mercy on us."

"Oh winepress of the fierceness of the wrath of God the Almighty, pour forth Thy vengeance upon the enemies of Thy Church and smite them with a mighty blow."
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Michael Wilson

James,
the problem with that is [Ecclesiastes 9:1]:
Quote"All these things have I considered in my heart, that I might carefully understand them: there are just men and wise men, and their works are in the hand of God: and yet man knoweth not whether he be worthy of love, or hatred:"
We all need God's mercy and forgiveness, for we have all sinned; and the measure that we use for others will be used to measure i.e. Judge us.

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

james03

Not convinced.  And I'm not condemning a particular person.  Sodomy is objectively evil.  Same with pedophiles.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

james03

Due to Divine Simplicity The Glorious Wrath of God IS God.  So in worshiping the Divine Wrath, you are worshiping God.

MundaCorMeum

My scrupulosity is kicking into overdrive  :pigeons:

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Ragnarok

The Divine Wrath of the kind you see in the Old Testament is a twofold type

1. To prepare for Spiritual Warfare against the Unholy Trinity - the Devil, the world, and the flesh
2. To demonstrate the reality of Hell, and the foretaste of it one can receive on Earth (e.g., being totally dominated by the passions)

The Wrath of God towards political entities or people is way less important than the Wrath of God against the Unholy Trinity and the Divine Spiritual Wrath of God against the damned - also, it's a losing battle - the world is the Devil's, not much you can do about that other than pray for the conversion of others.

Luke 18:7-8
John 18:36
Matthew 4:8-11
Revelation 13:4-8

Focus your goals on your own salvation, ignore the noise, it's all distraction. If you woke up tomorrow and found out that the West legalized cannibalism, normalized pedophilia, and forced your children to become eunuchs, what do any of those things matter if you are damned?

Matthew 16:25

drummerboy

As the Canon at the oratory I attend as stated in his sermons, Catholics don't pray for Divine Judgment because we can never be quite sure we won't be included in the punishment!

I would add that personally, while I too wonder where God's justice is, I don't want to be around when it does come.  The Scriptures and history tell us all too plainly of what it consists.....
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Kathleen

Devotion to the Holy Face and especially the Holy Face Chaplet is exactly what you're looking for!

Christ specifically told the seer that Devotion to His Holy Face is what is needed in the combatting the Communists who are His enemy!

I can post a bunch of links, if you're interested let me know. But first take a look at the chaplet below.

Arise, O Lord, and let Thy enemies be scattered!

And let them that hate Thee fly before Thy Face!

=================
Holy Face Chaplet
=================

Chaplet of The Holy Face

The Holy Face Chaplet uses a set of beads that is somewhat like a 5 decade rosary, except instead of 5 decades (10 beads) there are 5 sextets (6 beads).

The order of praying the beads is also altered in that you pray the loop of beeds first and then short string of beads last.

As with a rosary, each sextet begins with a large bead. The first sextet begins with the large bead closest to the medal.

The Large beads are "Glory be" beads, instead of  "Our Father" beads.

The Small beads are "Arise, O Lord" beads, instead of "Hail Mary" beads.

Holy Face Chaplet

ON THE CROSS

Make the Sign of the Cross with the Cross, and say:

V. "O God, incline unto my aid."

R. "O Lord, make haste to help me."

Then start the first sextet with the large bead closest to the medal.

ON EACH LARGE "GLORY BE" BEAD PRAY:

One "Glory Be"

Then the invocation: "My Jesus, mercy."

REFLECTION: On each of the Five Sextets reflect in turn on one of the Five Senses offended in Christ's Holy Face during the passion as follows: Touch, Hearing, Sight, Smell, Taste

Then go to the loop of beads.

ON EACH SMALL "ARISE, O LORD" BEAD PRAY:

V. "Arise, O Lord, and let Thy enemies be scattered"

R. "And let them that hate Thee fly before Thy Face!"

Repeat for each of the remaining sextets.

AFTER THE LOOP:

Treat this set as a trio, beginning and ending with the two large "Glory Be" beads.

REFLECTION: Honor all the wounds inflicted upon His Adorable Face!

1. Pray the 1st large "Glory be" bead as above.

2. Pray the last 3 small "Arise O Lord" beads as above.

3. On the last "Glory be" bead pray the "Glory be" 7 times in honor of the Last 7 Words that Jesus spoke on the Cross, and the 7 Dolors of the Immaculate Virgin.

CLOSING ON THE MEDAL:

V. "O God, our Protector, look down upon us"

R. "And cast Thine eyes upon the Face of Thy Christ!"

Elizabeth.2

I noticed that Sensus Fidelium has a short video on the Holy Face.  And John Venarri R.I.P. wrote a prayer booklet of Devotion to The Holy Face and its interesting history.

Elizabeth.2

Quote from: drummerboy on August 15, 2021, 12:15:07 PM
As the Canon at the oratory I attend as stated in his sermons, Catholics don't pray for Divine Judgment because we can never be quite sure we won't be included in the punishment!

I would add that personally, while I too wonder where God's justice is, I don't want to be around when it does come.  The Scriptures and history tell us all too plainly of what it consists.....
IKR??

I read about the Three Days of Darkness ages ago, way before reading the Apocalypse, read Hostage to the Devil and it scared me onto my knees and never left. 

Very wise and loving advise from your Canon, Drum.

james03

QuoteAs the Canon at the oratory I attend as stated in his sermons, Catholics don't pray for Divine Judgment because we can never be quite sure we won't be included in the punishment!

That's the sticky part.  Honoring a Divine Wrath towards a class of pure evil, not towards an individual, as we want everyone to repent and be saved (tough sometimes, but it is what we try for).  Probably not possible.

I'll check out the Devotion to the Holy Face.  Thanks.

Kathleen