Polyglot Problems

Started by Fleur-de-Lys, July 25, 2021, 02:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleur-de-Lys

11 Things Only Polyglots Will Understand

[yt][/yt]

Vetus Ordo

I can especially relate to #5 and #7.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on July 25, 2021, 02:20:54 PM

[yt][/yt]

This looks interesting, FLEUR!
Thank you :)

God bless!

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Christe Eleison on July 27, 2021, 08:48:27 PM

[yt][/yt]

God bless!

It's just a bit of humor that anyone who speaks more than one language can relate to.  :)

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 25, 2021, 06:21:20 PM
I can especially relate to #5 and #7.

#8 happened to me just this morning!  :D

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on July 28, 2021, 10:37:45 AM
Quote from: Christe Eleison on July 27, 2021, 08:48:27 PM

[yt][/yt]

God bless!

It's just a bit of humor that anyone who speaks more than one language can relate to.  :)

Finally, got around to watching this. I loved it! It is so funny!  ;D
Hey, I know a little of this, a little of that, I think that should add up to another language, right?  ;)

Thanks for posting it, FLEUR!

Fleur-de-Lys

9 More Things Only Polyglots Will Understand

[yt][/yt]

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on August 11, 2021, 05:07:27 PM
9 More Things Only Polyglots Will Understand

[yt][/yt]

Funny video! Thanks for sharing it with us, Fleur! :thumbsup:

I loved the example of someone calling themselves a Polyglot because they knew how to say something in 20 something languages  :D See it adds up  ;)

Fleur-de-Lys

I am intrigued by the question, "Does your personality change with each language?" I don't think mine does. I definitely change my tone of voice, facial expressions, and gestures. But those are just the nonverbal aspects of another language, and adopting them is part of proficiency. It might look like a dramatic transformation, especially when it occurs suddenly while switching languages, but I think the change is really just a superficial one. I think my basic attitudes and opinions remain the same across languages. But I'm curious as to whether others have a different perception. Vetus?

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on August 12, 2021, 01:43:29 PMI am intrigued by the question, "Does your personality change with each language?" I don't think mine does. I definitely change my tone of voice, facial expressions, and gestures. But those are just the nonverbal aspects of another language, and adopting them is part of proficiency. It might look like a dramatic transformation, especially when it occurs suddenly while switching languages, but I think the change is really just a superficial one. I think my basic attitudes and opinions remain the same across languages. But I'm curious as to whether others have a different perception. Vetus?

I think that's a common phenomenon when speaking a foreign language, especially if you get immersed into their culture. You tend to mimic those around you to a certain extent.

I don't think I adopt specific American mannerisms when speaking English but I'm definitely influenced by them.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on August 13, 2021, 11:00:58 AM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on August 12, 2021, 01:43:29 PMI am intrigued by the question, "Does your personality change with each language?" I don't think mine does. I definitely change my tone of voice, facial expressions, and gestures. But those are just the nonverbal aspects of another language, and adopting them is part of proficiency. It might look like a dramatic transformation, especially when it occurs suddenly while switching languages, but I think the change is really just a superficial one. I think my basic attitudes and opinions remain the same across languages. But I'm curious as to whether others have a different perception. Vetus?

I think that's a common phenomenon when speaking a foreign language, especially if you get immersed into their culture. You tend to mimic those around you to a certain extent.

I don't think I adopt specific American mannerisms when speaking English but I'm definitely influenced by them.

No, you don't. Your mannerisms remain charmingly Portuguese.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on August 13, 2021, 11:06:53 AM

However, you have a certain gravity in speaking Arabic that I don't often see in you when you're speaking other languages. Of course that could be because you primarily use it in discussions of scholarly matters.

queen.saints

I'm not a polyglot, but I find that my personality greatly changes when speaking different languages. It can be a fun experience, but also unsettling.

https://www.britishcouncil.org/voices-magazine/few-more-myths-about-speakers-multiple-languages

"Myth: Multilingualism causes identity problems

Bi- or multilingualism was once seen to cause emotional instability, split personalities and even schizophrenia. ...
...Language and identity are inextricably bound. Identity is embedded in the functions of language, and individuals manipulate language to choose, affirm and assert an identity. Identity is multiple, dynamic and shifting; it constantly evolves as individuals negotiate identity positions in their interactions with other people.

Language also encapsulates the cultural and historical experience of a group of people over centuries. Most importantly, language reflects an individual's internal mental and emotional state."

This article disagrees with the idea that learning several languages causes identity problems, while also stating that it does cause you to have multiple identities. The main point of disagreement seems to be whether or not it's a problem to have multiple completely different, often opposing, cultural and historical world-views as well as mental and emotional states.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: queen.saints on August 13, 2021, 01:38:26 PM
I'm not a polyglot, but I find that my personality greatly changes when speaking different languages. It can be a fun experience, but also unsettling.

Can you give us an example, queen.saints?

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on August 13, 2021, 11:35:33 AM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on August 13, 2021, 11:06:53 AM

However, you have a certain gravity in speaking Arabic that I don't often see in you when you're speaking other languages. Of course that could be because you primarily use it in discussions of scholarly matters.

Yes, my Arabic is strictly koranic.

There's an inescapable gravitas about it.