Neo-Con Priest on Vatican II

Started by Bonaventure, December 29, 2012, 12:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

A very telling interview:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8j24FBRgrA[/yt]

He notes one difference between Concilium and Communio as the "more progressives" wanting changes in clerical celibacy, women's ordination, and sexual ethics. We know that the world and even most Novus Ordinarians consider opposition to these three things as a sign of "arch-conservatism," but this is not the case.

Rev. Barron as says that there were two camps during the Council, with men like Cardinals Felici and Ottaviani representing the "old fashioned" side, and Congar, de Lubac, Ratzinger, Kung, Schillebeeckx and Wojtyla opposing them. We know which side won out.

Interestingly enough, this conversation can be found in the comments section:

Youtube Commentator: "They would have represented that somewhat, you know, old fashioned, very scholastic, defensive form of Catholicism"
Father, I enjoy about 90% of what you teach. You are a powerful speaker, and a great Priest, and I have no doubt that God is using you powerfully. But to speak in such a dismissive, disrespectful way toward the character of some 900 years of Latin Catholic Sacred Tradition is? just endemic in the Roman Catholic Church.

Rev. Barron: wordonfirevideo 2 months ago
Not so! As you probably have gathered from my videos and books, I am? an ardent advocate of the thought of Thomas Aquinas. I have absolutely no quarrel with Thomas and the great tradition that flows from him. What I and many others find more problematic is a form of theologizing--really pseudo-Thomist in spirit--that took hold around the mid-nineteenth century and endured to the mid-twentieth century. That's the only "tradition" that I would dispute.

So, what is problematic. "Pseudo-Thomist theologizing" from the papacies of Pius IX to Pius XII. Surprised?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

dust

I think i would gladly accept pseudo-Thomism over pseudo- Cromwellian-masonic-modernist Vatican-II speak. By their Fruits!
"The Truth is still the Truth, even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it." ++ Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen
"Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris"

JoyfulMother

Haven't had much respect for Father Barron's teachings since I read a post by Msgr Charles Pope, discussing how hell is real and Fr Barron is teaching a soft universalism about hell will probably be empty!

See here:http://blog.adw.org/2012/12/hurts-and-hopes-regarding-the-recent-debates-on-hell/