Church teaching regarding living wills

Started by Acolyte, December 02, 2015, 07:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acolyte

I went to my new primary care doctors office today and he gave me something to look over regarding living wills. So I was wondering what church teaching is on the matter.

Is the current church teaching the same as pre VII ?

In Christ,
Charles

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Penelope

Paging Pheo. Pheo knows all about this and can refer to sources. There have been other threads about this in the past and Pheo has provided great input. If you do a search for 'living wills' or some related terms, you might be able to track down the threads yourself, too.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Penelope

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Chestertonian

confused.. if rescucitaying involves extraordinary means does it?mrsn you can have a dnr

if you are already in bad shape
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Acolyte

Thanks for that link to the thread with the audio sermon. I'll listen to it tomorrow.

From what I gather after reading resources on the web after I posted here, living wills are out of the question.

It seems an advance directive where an orthodox priest is named as ones agent is the only sensible alternative.

In a perfect world anyhow.

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

dymphna17

There is a 'Catholic" living will.  Is that covered in that thread?  I guess I should just look for myself, eh?  hahahaha
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica