What arts and crafts do you do?

Started by OCLittleFlower, January 28, 2013, 04:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCLittleFlower

See title.   ;)

I'm a paper crafter -- scrapbooking, cards, some home decor projects.  I'm totally addicted to my Cricut machine.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Eliza

I've had fun decorating gift baskets lately. I love baskets.
Making/decorating cards.
Making bows.

These are just the things I've been doing as of late. I go through crafting phases. A few months from now I will be making other things, I'm sure.

Penelope

My friend just taught me to knit (and perl!), so if I had time, I'd like to do more of that. I used to be really into scrapbooking, but I stopped taking as many pictures as I used to, so I ran out of things to scrapbook. I also ran out of time to scrapbook, so this has actually worked out okay. Over Thanksgiving, I made a bunch of Christmas ornaments using an idea I found on Pinterest, and they turned out great, so I gave them away as Christmas gifts. Right now, the most crafty thing I have time for is replacing buttons or stitching up ripped seams. I miss being able to do crafts. I have this fantastic dream that once I'm no longer teaching, I'll have all the time in the world to craft. It's really a pipe dream, though; I don't know many mothers of small children who have time to do crafts that don't involve macaroni and glitter glue.

Bernadette

I go through phases, too. I taught myself to do backstrap weaving a while ago, but decided that it was probably going to be too expensive in the long run, and I didn't like it as much as some of the other crafts, so I gave it up. I knit, crochet, make bears and cloth dolls, and, of course, the quilt. I'm planning to do some leather-working, and hopefully some woodworking too, as soon as some of my other projects are finished. Right now, I'm working on this doll: http://judisdolls.com/dahnia.html I'm only making the body, in order to replace the body of a reproduction ball-jointed doll, which arrived broken. I have high hopes for it, even though it is pretty time consuming!
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

You know, Penelope, it's surprising the amount of knitting that you can cram into odd moments.  ;) Especially with "circular needles," which you can fold up and stuff into a smaller bag than straight needles.
My Lord and my God.

OCLittleFlower

Penelope -- A lot of the mom crafters I know work on the grownup stuff alongside the kids.  Set them up with the penne and the yarn but make scrapbook pages and cards right next to them.   :)  As long as they're supervised and occupied, it can be done, or so I hear.

I think it depends a lot on what crafting "means to you."  If you truly love it and find it a way to unwind, etc, you'll find yourself doing it instead of reading or watching tv or playing piano or whatever else.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Penelope

Well, I find it to be a rather enjoyable way to avoid the things I really ought to be working on, like grading papers. I also find posting on this forum to be a great way to avoid grading papers... Okay, back to work now.

piabee

Counted cross-stitch is the only crafty thing that has really stuck with me over the years. I do a lot of birth/wedding announcements to give away because there are only so many framed needleworks that you can hang on your walls. I did make two Rosaries for Christmas presents last year. It had been a loooooooong time.

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 28, 2013, 09:29:30 PMI think it depends a lot on what crafting "means to you."  If you truly love it and find it a way to unwind, etc, you'll find yourself doing it instead of reading or watching tv or playing piano or whatever else.

I cross-stitch while I'm watching tv. :D This job skills test thing that my boss made me take said I am highly tactile and need to keep my hands busy. I've found that it does calm me down when I have a project to work on (unless I am ripping out stitches because I miscounted. haha).

maryslittlegarden

I crochet, cross stich, and play around with scrapbooking/paper/rubber stamp crafts.  I'm trying to figure out how to knit and I'd like to lear how to sew. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

erin is nice

I knit-- all the time. I do a lot of different kinds of hats, but I can follow almost any pattern and have made a lot of sweaters, lace scarves, etc. I know how to knit socks, but I hate it and will never knit one again.

poche

phnuggle

Just knitting, and not very well at that.  I keep meaning to take a proper class.  I want to make socks so badly, but right now all I can make are lumpy scarves.   ;D

stitchmom

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 28, 2013, 09:29:30 PM
Penelope -- A lot of the mom crafters I know work on the grownup stuff alongside the kids.  Set them up with the penne and the yarn but make scrapbook pages and cards right next to them.   :)  As long as they're supervised and occupied, it can be done, or so I hear.

I think it depends a lot on what crafting "means to you."  If you truly love it and find it a way to unwind, etc, you'll find yourself doing it instead of reading or watching tv or playing piano or whatever else.

I often hear from other mothers "wish I had time" when they see me with a craft project. They are sitting there for the same amount of time I am.  ???

kayla_veronica

I've just learned to knit properly this past fall. I can make scarves, hats and fingerless gloves. I've been trying to make real mittens but my kitchener's stitch closing always comes undone for some reason. At some point I want to start a small blanket/throw.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

kayla_veronica

Quote from: phnuggle on February 07, 2013, 07:40:32 AM
Just knitting, and not very well at that.  I keep meaning to take a proper class.  I want to make socks so badly, but right now all I can make are lumpy scarves.   ;D

Youtube videos work really well if you are trying to learn different stitches, I haven't bought a book or took a class but I learned several stitches that way.

May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.