Anglican Nuns Recieved into the Catholic Church

Started by poche, January 09, 2013, 03:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poche

A group of 11 Anglican nuns who were recieved into the communion of the Catholic Church were lauded for their response to the Holy Father's summons to unity at their mass of reception.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/anglican-nuns-praised-for-joining-catholic-church/

The Harlequin King

I wonder what sort of Anglican upbringing would be compelling enough to make one join an Anglican religious order, anyway. The very notion of being a "hardcore Anglican" seems ludicrous in the 21st century, but I suppose they must exist..... somewhere out there.

poche

Quote from: The Harlequin King on January 09, 2013, 08:30:13 PM
I wonder what sort of Anglican upbringing would be compelling enough to make one join an Anglican religious order, anyway. The very notion of being a "hardcore Anglican" seems ludicrous in the 21st century, but I suppose they must exist..... somewhere out there.
I think this is part of the movement back to the Catholic Church. I think we should give them a nudge to help them along and support them when they get here. Remember, the Catholic church is the true home of all the Christians.
:) :) :) 

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: The Harlequin King on January 09, 2013, 08:30:13 PM

Oh, among the handful of Anglo-Catholic groups out there, there are enough "hardcore Anglicans"--read Anglo-Catholics and Anglo-Papalists--to sustain a few small religious orders.  They are mostly Anglicans who model themselves after pre-V2 Roman devotional and liturgical practices.  They use the Anglican Missal, pray the Rosary, hold Our Lady in extremely high esteem, believe most (if not all) the Roman dogmas, etc.  They were a relatively small group in the first place, and I imagine they're much smaller now because of Anglicanorum Coetibus.

This quotation from the article illustrates the mentality rather well:
QuoteWe believe that the Holy Father?s offer is a prophetic gesture which brings to a happy conclusion the prayers of generations of Anglicans and Catholics who have sought a way forward for Christian unity,? said Sister Winsome, who had been superior of the Community of St. Mary the Virgin.

(Sr. Winsome!  What a lovely name.  :D)  Most Anglo-Papalists are such because they desire to work within Anglicanism for the reunification of Anglicanism (or at least some part of Anglicanism--not the CofE or ECUSA, which are lost causes) with Rome.  They accept the Magisterial authority of the Holy Father and believe in the indefectibility of the Roman Church.  Whether that is an intelligible position or not, it's out there and goes back to the early twentieth century. 

Anyway, good on them.  Many prayers that they will prosper within the Church!
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: The Harlequin King on January 09, 2013, 08:30:13 PMI wonder what sort of Anglican upbringing would be compelling enough to make one join an Anglican religious order, anyway.

Those raised within Anglo-catholic circles. You can consider that the Newman legacy.

QuoteThe very notion of being a "hardcore Anglican" seems ludicrous in the 21st century, but I suppose they must exist..... somewhere out there.

That's true if you think of Anglicanism just as social club with a slight religious veneer. In that sense, it's always ridiculous to be "hardcore" about such a thing.

The continuing anglican movements, however, can be considered "hardcore" in a more meaningful sense: faithful to the ecumenical creeds, anglican confessions (39 articles), traditional BCP and classical anglican theology, especially as expounded upon by the Caroline divines which can be considered "reformed catholic."
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

poche

Just remember. the Catholic Church was founded by the Jesus Christ. The Anglican Church was founded by an act of the English Parliment.