need recommendations

Started by Traditionallyruralmom, September 12, 2018, 10:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionallyruralmom

I am a homeschool mom working with an '06 Mac as our only computer, it cannot be updated to the newest system, it would probably explode.
I need recommendations for a basic laptop that wont break the bank. I need it for our math, typing and handwriting generator, so it must have a disc drive. 
I also need a recommendation of a good printer that wont break the bank. I really would like a model that will print black and white, even if the color is out. My current ancient Epsom is a money sucking dud and wont work unless all cartridges are working.  We hardly ever print color, and could live without it.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Gardener

You mention handwriting generator... what exactly is this, a piece of software or a plug and play external device/tablet like a Wacom that's OS agnostic?

Do you have any software which you need, have paid for, and is not able to be installed on another system? If so, you need to factor that into budget.

Is any software you've purchased MAC/Apple specific and not found for Windows or free Linux distros?

What is your budget (break the bank is a relative statement)?

Printer - unsure. But I do understand and agree with the problem of printers that require all colors to even print b/w.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Traditionallyruralmom

The handwriting generator is just a CD program that I own that wont run on MAC.

We don't need much, except the stuff that I mentioned, and those are all CD's I already own.

No, the math is either or, the handwriting is Windows only, and the typing will be whatever I purchase after I get a new laptop.  I looked into getting a program for my MAC, and they don't make a comparable program for my operating system anymore.

I should not spend more than $300 on the laptop.  I have only ever had a relatives kickdown Mac's, I am not familiar with anything else.  But I can't afford the price tag and I am not seeing any new to me laptops being handed our way this time.

Gardener

Why a laptop? Would a desktop work too, or do you need to be able to travel and do school still?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Traditionallyruralmom

I need the children to be able to travel from room to room when it is their time to do the schoolwork they do on the computer  :) They are scattered around the house for purposes of avoiding the noise and activity of the 5, 3 and 1 year old.

MundaCorMeum

for printing needs....are you a member of HSLDA, by any chance?  And, if so, is there an Office Max near you?  HSLDA offers a discount card for members, and the printing costs associated with it are incredibly cheap (although, I've not done a cost analysis breakdown comparing that to owning your own printer and ink).  It might be more cost effective to do your printing there, instead of investing in a new printer.  Especially if you only need black and white.  Of course, I definitely understand the value of having an at-home printer, so you don't have to get out every time a print need comes up (which can happen pretty spontaneously in a homeschool environment).  I do my bulk printing at the beginning of the year at Office Max, then the smaller, daily stuff that pops up at home.   

Traditionallyruralmom

we are rural, at least an hour from Office Max.  I wish I was as organized as you where I could do it at the beginning of the year  :D  but alas, I am more of a spaz.

Gardener

Going from Mac to Windows will be a bit of a learning curve.

In that price range you are probably looking at a refurbished one.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=4294967288+40&NTX=&NR=&NTT=&NTK=all&page=1&sortby=pricehigh&SortNow=Go

You also might look at ebay.

How long do you have until you are in a "need this now" status?

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on September 12, 2018, 12:53:12 PM
we are rural, at least an hour from Office Max.  I wish I was as organized as you where I could do it at the beginning of the year  :D  but alas, I am more of a spaz.

I'm only organized, because I enjoy being so.  I'm still a spaz, don't worry  :P

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: Gardener on September 12, 2018, 03:54:15 PM
Going from Mac to Windows will be a bit of a learning curve.

In that price range you are probably looking at a refurbished one.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=4294967288+40&NTX=&NR=&NTT=&NTK=all&page=1&sortby=pricehigh&SortNow=Go

You also might look at ebay.

How long do you have until you are in a "need this now" status?

depends on how well this Mac performs with one of my daughters online classes mixed with the Math CD, they dont seem to like one another.  One wont work if the other is working.  Thank you for the link, Hubs was just saying a minute ago that we should look into a reputable dealer of refurbished Windows.

The Curt Jester

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on September 12, 2018, 10:13:51 AM
I really would like a model that will print black and white, even if the color is out. My current ancient Epsom is a money sucking dud and wont work unless all cartridges are working.  We hardly ever print color, and could live without it.

You might want to do a little research about your printer model. Some of them have hidden codes that allow you to bypass and print anyway. And then sometimes there are little tricks you can use. For instance, I put pieces of tape over the toner cartridge windows which prevented the printer from knowing that the cartridge was empty.  You might find out that there is a way to override that annoying "feature" your printer has.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Akavit

This is not something everyone would want to do but in my opinion, it's hard to beat one of the late model Epson Workforce printers combined with a CISS kit.  I installed a Cobra CISS kit on a WF-7210 and no longer need ink cartridges.  Refilling is as easy as pouring more ink into the reservoir.  But some people do experience issues with clogging if they don't use the printer often.

clau clau

I would buy a Lenovo Thinkpad Windows10 laptop.  If you could get one 2nd hand it might be better value also.  I would buy a HP Laserjet wireless printer on Amazon.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: clau clau on September 13, 2018, 03:20:15 AM
I would buy a Lenovo Thinkpad Windows10 laptop.  If you could get one 2nd hand it might be better value also.  I would buy a HP Laserjet wireless printer on Amazon.
why do you recommend this particular model of laptop?