Catholic smartphone apps

Started by Kaesekopf, December 27, 2012, 03:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

I'm glad they finally got a decent port of iPieta to Android.  I'll have to pick it up.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Greg

Is the missal available on android?
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Kaesekopf

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

Daniel

If anyone has a good idea for a non-existent iPhone/Android app then let me know.  I could try making it.

Parresia

Quote from: Daniel on September 28, 2014, 05:04:50 PM
If anyone has a good idea for a non-existent iPhone/Android app then let me know.  I could try making it.

If you can write for Windows and Windows Phone, send me a PM. 

Bernadette

Quote from: Parresia on September 28, 2014, 05:26:15 PM

If you could do this, you'd be my tech-hero.  :P I can't download the Fulton Sheen app now, because my iPad is out of date. :(
My Lord and my God.

Daniel

I could do Windows/Windows 8 but I can't currently do Windows Phone.

The way I'd be making these apps would be, instead of me writing them in a native language, I'd be writing them in a program called GameMaker.  GameMaker is intended to be used for making computer games but it can be used to make other stuff besides games.  So I can make regular apps without much problem (except there are a few limitations, e.g. I don't think GameMaker can be used to write a program that uses the phone's camera or microphone).  Anyway, I've been using GameMaker for several years so I'm pretty familiar with it.  And one of the features is that once I make the app in GameMaker then I can export it to Windows and Mac and iOS and Android and Windows Phone and whatever other platforms GameMaker lets me export it to without really changing the code much.  However, I have never actually exported a GameMaker project to any of the mobile devices before, so I'll have to experiment a with exporting it and see if I can get it working on the various platforms.  (Which is why I said I can "try" to make it, but I really can't guarantee I'll be able to.)
The reason I cannot currently export to Windows Phone is because each of the platform-export things costs extra and I haven't yet paid for the Windows Phone export (the regular Windows and Windows 8 exports come with it and I've already paid for the Android and iOS exports).  Maybe I will eventually purchase the Windows Phone export but maybe I won't (I'm really not a fan of Microsoft).  Either way, I don't currently have it so I can't make stuff for Windows Phone at the moment.

Parresia

Quote from: Daniel on September 28, 2014, 08:48:09 PM

I could do Windows/Windows 8 but I can't currently do Windows Phone.

The way I'd be making these apps would be, instead of me writing them in a native language, I'd be writing them in a program called GameMaker.  GameMaker is intended to be used for making computer games but it can be used to make other stuff besides games.  So I can make regular apps without much problem (except there are a few limitations, e.g. I don't think GameMaker can be used to write a program that uses the phone's camera or microphone).  Anyway, I've been using GameMaker for several years so I'm pretty familiar with it.  And one of the features is that once I make the app in GameMaker then I can export it to Windows and Mac and iOS and Android and Windows Phone and whatever other platforms GameMaker lets me export it to without really changing the code much.  However, I have never actually exported a GameMaker project to any of the mobile devices before, so I'll have to experiment a with exporting it and see if I can get it working on the various platforms.  (Which is why I said I can "try" to make it, but I really can't guarantee I'll be able to.)
The reason I cannot currently export to Windows Phone is because each of the platform-export things costs extra and I haven't yet paid for the Windows Phone export (the regular Windows and Windows 8 exports come with it and I've already paid for the Android and iOS exports).  Maybe I will eventually purchase the Windows Phone export but maybe I won't (I'm really not a fan of Microsoft).  Either way, I don't currently have it so I can't make stuff for Windows Phone at the moment.

PM Sent

Prayerful

While at Mass I noticed an older lady with a smartphone atop her missal. It had the notes of whichever hymn choir was singing at that point in the mass. The interface looks vaguely like iMass, except it had the text and notes of hymns.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

mara

iBreviary and the1962 missal (by Lux Aeterna) are two I was able to get for android free on Google play.

Armor of Light

I would love iPieta for BlackBerry!
I have it for my android, but I only use that phone for an alarm clock these days..
If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned.

Thomas à Kempis

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Prayerful

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 10, 2013, 02:38:44 AM
Quote from: Greg on February 10, 2013, 02:32:50 AM
Is the missal available on android?

As an app? 

I think this one has it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.livemass.iMass&feature=search_result

I find this a bit unstable at times, but it is the Mass text, not the Mason NO text.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.