Author Topic: What’s the deal with dancing?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline MaximGun

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Trad Catholic
Re: What’s the deal with dancing?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 09:18:49 AM »
The Second Plenary Council of Baltimore (1866) warned against dances as “at present carried on” not because ballroom dancing is intrinsically wrong. It is those dances that “are revolting to every feeling of delicacy and propriety,” not ballroom dances necessarily, let alone dancing in general.

Some groups of Protestant Christians categorically ban dancing, not the Catholic Church, though the Church warns against the moral perils of some types of dancing, including because of the immodest clothing of the participants.

Offline ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

• Vizekorporal
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 09:31:00 AM »
Actually in the right social context it is extremely similar.

When waltzing for example it is appropriate.  That is how the waltz is waltzed.

When riding on public transport touching a woman on her shoulder or arm in an inappropriate or uncalled for way could get you done for assault or molestation.

Grabbing her by the hips to stop her walking out in front of a bus would probably get you a kiss or even a medal.

Putting suntan lotion on your best friend's sister's shoulders is probably going to arouse your ardour.  Tearing a stranger's clothes off after a Muslim throws acid on her is not even if she is darned sexy when not covered in acid.

I don't see an argument here.

Tearing clothing off in an emergency justifies sensual touch during a dance?  There's nothing relating the premise and the conclusion.

Offline MaximGun

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 09:45:47 AM »
It is not sensual touch, unless you are a pervert or sexually immature.  You know the kind of person that seminaries and convents try to filter out as unsuitable for a vocation.  Or used to.

It is just a pleasant way for men and women to dance and enjoy themselves.  Some people enjoy singing, some dancing.

I've been to many a ballroom dance and it has never led to anything.

They are not holding hands in this one, but they are Muslim by culture.

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 10:00:08 AM »
It is not sensual touch, unless you are a pervert or sexually immature.  You know the kind of person that seminaries and convents try to filter out as unsuitable for a vocation.  Or used to.

It is just a pleasant way for men and women to dance and enjoy themselves.  Some people enjoy singing, some dancing.

Not buying it.  A man who can dance with an attractive stranger and not have the wrong thoughts cross his mind is the kind of person who should be filtered out of seminaries, if you catch my drift.

They are not Muslim by any Muslim standard.  Heavy makeup, uncovered hair, and form-fitting clothing are not Muslim.  Maybe "spiritual but not religious" who "spent 12 years in Muslim school", but not Muslim.

Offline MaximGun

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 10:02:00 AM »
You Catholic men who can never find any suitable women to marry.

Take a lady with a social media account to this dressed up like a penguin having practiced the steps and you will be beating ladies off with a stick once the first lady posts the video of the ball.  Just look at the comments.

I am a reasonably proficient dancer but I know some men who dance very well and women are queuing up to dance with them.  They always were and they always will be.

The following users thanked this post: james03

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 10:16:55 AM »
Take a lady with a social media account to this dressed up like a penguin having practiced the steps and you will be beating ladies off with a stick once the first lady posts the video of the ball.  Just look at the comments.

I see immodest attire and inappropriate touching.

Your expectations for the conduct of Catholic men are too low.

The following users thanked this post: queen.saints

Offline queen.saints

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2021, 10:23:55 AM »
This is a stupid simplification you sometimes see from Trad priests lacking common sense and plagued with scruples.  And they nearly ALWAYS come out of America, land of the prudes.

TIL St. John Vianney is a scrupulous American Trad.

Also, American traditionalists are generally the best in the world for modesty and decorum and that is a big part of why they are also the best for marrying young and having large families.

America is doing much better than England on this front, so it is Americans who are in a position to offer advice, not the other way around.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian, ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Offline andy

• Korporal
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 10:47:55 AM »

I see immodest attire and inappropriate touching.

Your expectations for the conduct of Catholic men are too low.

Well, your avatar is disgusting too.

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian, AlNg

Offline andy

• Korporal
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 10:52:54 AM »

I am a reasonably proficient dancer but I know some men who dance very well and women are queuing up to dance with them.  They always were and they always will be.

Neither my wife nor me are into dancing, although we enjoyed it several times at our friends (and our own) weddings. I deplore an idea of dancing with other women, even good friends or family.

Music and lyrics are absolutely abominable in most cases. This is were problem starts, not in a dancing as such.

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2021, 10:56:01 AM »
Well, your avatar is disgusting too.

I got a new one, just for you.

Offline MaximGun

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2021, 11:51:51 AM »
I set my expectations on the behaviour of the men and women who have the babies since that is the positive primary outcome of all of this malarkey.

Without that, dancing, not dancing, who gives a poop?

Same as I set my expectations of traditionalist priestly societies by those societies who thrive and grow because they inspire people and get the balance right between inspiration to be good and moral stricture, the carrot and the stick.

Traditional inaction = inert, small, dead.

The Pfeiffer Resistance, crazy loons who can attract nobody rational.

Bishop Williamson, retired and inert.  Smart enough to not continue what he started and embarrass himself before he dies.

SSPX - best results by far.

The following users thanked this post: Melkor

Offline james03

• Major
  • The Brutal Clarity of a Winter Morning
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2021, 02:41:43 PM »
Two cases:

1.  Trad community which had well supervised swing dancing youth groups at venues without alcohol.  Big event was a live Big-Band dance where you dressed in old fashioned clothes.  Result:  ALL* Trads from this group are now married.  ALL kept the Faith and are Trad.  Some babies already born.  One exception is one man from a bunker Trad background, late bloomer type.  He does have a serious Trad girlfriend.

2.  Bunker Trad community.  Kids were very isolated and told a lot of crazy stuff.  Result: 8 of 10 left the Trad world and even the Catholic Faith.  At least one teen pregnancy.  Kids sneaking out to smoke dope.  One boy became a priest.  One girl stayed Trad because family moved away after 9 months.

I believe Greg witnessed something similar in England with a youth group.

Swing Dancing and Contra Dancing have many advantages: no lyrics, contact is just holding hands, parents can join in, so teens don't feel like the Gestapo is watching, and teens can practice socializing with the opposite sex in a supervised environment.

Judge a tree by the fruit.  If you aren't going to provide dancing, then you better offer something else where teens can socialize in a well supervised environment.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

The following users thanked this post: MundaCorMeum

Online mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2021, 06:16:40 PM »

These are Circassians.  They are originally from the upper east side of the Black Sea, until the Russian Empire expelled them during what was called the Circassian genocide in the aftermath of the Russo-Circassian War (1763–1864).  They are mostly Muslim, but some are Christian.  They seem to try to keep their culture alive by their dance.  I have watched a few of their videos.  It's interesting how the women act so modest, humble and elegant while the men act so boisterous, macho and look at me.  I think this well trained young Circassian dance group are quite impressive.

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

Offline Clare

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Sedefluid Cafeteria Trad
    • Motes 'n' Beams blog
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2021, 05:44:04 AM »
I heard a joke some years ago.

Irish, of course!

Some young parishioners approached their parish priest requesting a parish dance, not expecting a positive answer.

They were surprised when the priest enthusiastically replied: "We'll have two!!"

Then he added, "We can have one on Friday, for the gentlemen; and one on Saturday, for the ladies!"

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

The following users thanked this post: mikemac, Lynne, MundaCorMeum, Christe Eleison, Elizabeth.2

Offline andy

• Korporal
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2021, 10:14:43 AM »
I think this well trained young Circassian dance group are quite impressive.

Impressive - yes. Is it s semi pro or pro team - most likely. Does dancing among regular Circassian looks like this - doubtful.