Knife discussion

Started by Melkor, May 18, 2021, 05:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melkor

I have had flippers before and I thought they were ok for edc. I would probably still carry my Para2 everyday though.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on May 19, 2021, 01:59:40 PM
I have had flippers before and I thought they were ok for edc. I would probably still carry my Para2 everyday though.

They are fine for most things, but they have a "failure mode" which tends to present itself when it is least convenient (or safe). It is situational.

I carried this knife for a long time and it is quite wonderful. It is probably smaller than you are looking for, but for an every day urban use (and a little rural), it was great. They did have a very limited edition big model like it, which I had once too as well, but never carried.

It is, however, a framelock flipper, and without being able to hold it right for deployment, it is impossible to deploy, and ball bearings and no thumbstud or hole means that if conditions aren't ideal...what I wrote before.

I don't know Canadian laws or restrictions (or culture). All I know is the money is very weird. Importing from W&W results in a price that is almost exactly the same for me as buying domestically, so if people are out of stock here, buying from up there gets me the MSRP and fewer Canadians buy knives so they tend to have stock when everybody else is out.

And the package that comes is red themed (I like it, it is like some sort of "special" mail, which is associated with blue in the USA), but has an intolerable inclusion of French translations of everything for some reason.

Melkor

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Insanis

Heinrich

Quote from: Insanis on May 19, 2021, 10:33:17 AM
Quote from: Melkor on May 19, 2021, 10:18:41 AM
I always wanted to go for a knife fighting class,

The legal and moral realities of "knife fighting" means it is assassination, not "self defense" or any sort of moral action. The times in real self-defense where it would be legally or morally justified wouldn't be "fighting".

Violence aside, as a tools, if you want to use a knife for any critical purpose though, do not get a flipper at the very least: they require ideal circumstances to work.

This is why I stopped using framelocks and flippers: they tend to cause issues when you really need it to work, which is rarely an ideal circumstance. In my case, it is with occupied hands, dirty or wet hands, etc. It is all fine and dandy flipping away for fun, but when real work needs to be done, you have a knife that tends to fail to lock up or even fail to deploy at all (ie, grip on the frame lock).

They are nice designs, but treat them like a stiff slipjoint knife for actual use. The flipping action and lock up tend to be less reliable when the situation is when you'd actually need it to work. And the blades tend to be a liability when they are not locked and not in the detent, as they flop around.

The primary way and least reliable way of deploying a flipper is by flipping it. The secondary and most reliable way is by grabbing the top of the blade with the other hand and manually putting it in position and testing the lock. It is, in practice, like a locking blade that sometimes becomes a terrible slipjoint.

I disagree with your assessment here. I do apologise for assuming this was about self defense EDC knives.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Insanis

Quote from: Heinrich on May 19, 2021, 05:28:13 PM
I disagree with your assessment here.

I am judging framelocks and flippers by my personal experiences with them. I realize there is some diversity, but they are not designs I will carry anymore. Their designs don't hold up in certain circumstances and I have experienced those circumstances.

QuoteI do apologise for assuming this was about self defense EDC knives.

I understand. I'm used to knife forums where knives as weapons are usually forbidden or relegated to a specific area. The legal ownership and carry of every day knives is complicated enough for most people.

Tennessean

What's a good, NONFIXED knife for cold, wet/icy conditions and you only have one, gloved hand to open the blade?

Heinrich

Quote from: Tennessean on May 19, 2021, 07:04:59 PM
What's a good, NONFIXED knife for cold, wet/icy conditions and you only have one, gloved hand to open the blade?

I have a SOG Trident. Seems to work well for basic things in the conditions you mentioned.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Melkor

Spyderco Paramilitary2

Insanis

Quote from: Tennessean on May 19, 2021, 07:04:59 PM

What kind of glove?

A big thumbstud or disc is what I'd use with plenty of room.

What legal restrictions do you have? Are you in TN?

EDIT: And what is your budget? (You can come into chat to discuss this if you want too.)

Bernadette

My uncle used to make custom switch blade knives. I don't know much about them. I used to carry an Infidel, which he helped design.
My Lord and my God.

Melkor

@Bernadette that is pretty cool. Infidel is a wicked knife, I'll never have one cause I live in Canada.

Melkor

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on May 20, 2021, 07:15:33 AM
https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Zero_Tolerance/Zero_Tolerance_ZT357BW_20CV_Blackwash_Black_G10_Assisted_Opening

Insanis do you have any experience with 20cv? I don't want to get another s30v knife.

ZT does a good job. Don't pay too much attention to the steel: one can look at the general characteristics, but the end performance comes from how it is treated by the manufacturer.

I'd say it is very good based on its base performance and ZT should use it well.

Melkor

Welp, just pulled the trigger on the ZT 350. I can always sell it if I don't like it.