Catholic vocations stories novels?

Started by Geremia, August 19, 2020, 04:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

What are some Catholic novels that tell vocations stories?

Non Nobis

"Come Rack! Come Rope!" Msgr. Robert Hugh Benson. Young Catholic man and woman probably would have married but the events of the persecution of Catholics during the English Reformation revealed God had other plans for them.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Santantonio

Mariette in Ecstasy - Ron Hansen
None Other Gods - Robert Hugh Benson
The Altar Steps, Parson's Progress, Heaven's Ladder (trilogy) - Compton Mackenzie
My New Curate - Patrick Augustine Sheehan
Mass Appeal (play) - Bill C. Davis
The Edge of Sadness - Edwin O'Connor
The World, the Flesh, and Father Smith - Bruce Marshall
To Every Man a Penny - Bruce Marshall
Diary of a Country Priest - Georges Bernanos
The Power and the Glory - Graham Greene
The Nun's Story - Kathryn Hulme
The Monastery, The Abbot - Sir Walter Scott
The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
The Seven Storey Mountain (non-fiction)- Thomas Merton
Becoming a Nun in the Age of Aquarius (non-fiction) - Helen Reynolds

note. some of these are about trying times and changes during a priest's life, discernment when already a priest.

Geremia

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

A Few Lines to Tell You, by a Carmelite nun. This focuses more on daily life within the monastery, rather than the vocation process.
My Lord and my God.

nmoerbeek

The Saga of Cieteaux are all novelized accounts.

The Three Religious Rebels (Founders of the Cistercians)
The Family that Overtook Christ (St. Bernard and Family)
These Women walked with God
Burnt out Incense
"Let me, however, beg of Your Beatitude...
not to think so much of what I have written, as of my good and kind intentions. Please look for the truths of which I speak rather than for beauty of expression. Where I do not come up to your expectations, pardon me, and put my shortcomings down, please, to lack of time and stress of business." St. Bonaventure, From the Preface of Holiness of Life.

Apostolate:
http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Contributor:
http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/
Lay Association:
http://www.militiatempli.net/