Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...

Started by LausTibiChriste, May 17, 2018, 12:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LausTibiChriste

...it has been 2 weeks since my last confession. However, in all my confessions I have failed to mention my greatest sin, which I only realized within the last couple days.

I have sinned by spending the last 10 years bashing Apple.

In my arrogance I constantly berated them, looked down on those who praised them, and in my heinous pride thought I knew better. Yet through God's Providence, and the MacBook I got from work, I have seen the light. Praise be to God for Mac's are amazing. I will never, ever bash Apple and for penance, I will smash my P.O.S. Acer laptop and burn a Windows 10 disc.

Amen.

But seriously - Macs are amazing. My iPhone took some getting used to admittedly; I like it a lot. but this MacBook...man oh man. Apple should pay Acer a 10% commission on every Apple product I buy until I'm dead.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Gardener

Apple is great... until it does have a major issue. And then it's kinda awful for repair, etc. One of the guys I used to work with was a "Genius Bar" tech. Said it was usually something very simple or "umm, so, this machine is permanently dead sir." Very little in-between. The secret is the Apple OS is based on a Unix architecture, which is notoriously stable.

It's not unusual to see server admins, and other various infrastructure guys running Apple/Mac machines w/ VMWare to run the Windows stuff they need.

A few years ago I asked a buddy, a security engineer (now an architect) why he runs a Mac when he could run a Windows machine and fix literally anything which were to break.

He replied, "I spend all day fixing broken stuff. When I get home, I just want it to work."

My big problem with Apple is the cost and custom parts.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

LausTibiChriste

Cost is an issue, I agree - but you get what you pay for imho. Knowing what I know now, I would happily drop $1800 on a nice MacBook Pro...even if I spent the same money on a Windows laptop I wouldn't be as confident.

I mean, the style, the beauty of it all. The thing is solid, metal, yet still light. And my p.o.s acer is a plastic piece of crap.

If I remember correctly, back in the day a big sticking point was you couldn't use Windows programs on Macs (unless you were some kinda computer genius). Now, Google, games, virtually every program can be used on both. I love it.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Archer

I love Apple; we have apple everything. Once you get used to the operating system its very simple. And, like Jon said, it all just WORKS.

You get what you pay for.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

martin88nyc

You rarely get a virus on Apple computers.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Gardener

Quote from: martin88nyc on May 17, 2018, 02:30:57 PM
You rarely get a virus on Apple computers.

That's due to the Unix architecture underneath the hood. Most viruses/malware are coded to execute on Windows OS since that's the most prevalent OS. But they're not the only method of infection. Linux/Unix-based OS's are like being a Swede in a South African brothel -- it's not that you don't come in contact with AIDS so much so that the virus cannot "execute" due to the genetics of its host.

If you're wondering about the analogy: https://www.wired.com/2005/01/genetic-hiv-resistance-deciphered/

But if someone catches a "sunburn.gz" virus, all bets are off for the Swede. ;)

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/mac-viruses-malware-security-3668354/

https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/understanding-the-different-types-of-mac-malware/
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe