My indult Mass experience

Started by A. W. Pugin, August 16, 2015, 04:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Lynne on August 17, 2015, 11:51:08 AM
At the diocesan TLM that was close to my house, I saw it every week. It wasn't most parishioners but it was several. The women in the pew in front of me were able to kneel, stand, kneel, stand etc. during the Low Mass and then went up to receive Communion, standing, with their hands out.

Okay. I don't know what to say to that, alas. The rubrics for the 1962 Missal are to administer on the tongue while kneeling, and in one kind. The only exception is if the person is physically unable to kneel. Also, the Precious Blood can be given to people who have a wheat allergy or can't consume solids, but it's still one kind only.

The standing/kneeling at low Mass is immaterial because there are no rubrics for the laity on posture. At least one liturgical author has made a good case that the postures for sung/solemn Mass should be applied to low Mass as well, and that the directions found in those little red booklets are completely arbitrary or even invented wholecloth.

Lynne

Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 17, 2015, 11:58:16 AM
Quote from: Lynne on August 17, 2015, 11:51:08 AM
Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 17, 2015, 08:22:51 AM
At the diocesan TLM that was close to my house, I saw it every week. It wasn't most parishioners but it was several. The women in the pew in front of me were able to kneel, stand, kneel, stand etc. during the Low Mass and then went up to receive Communion, standing, with their hands out.

Okay. I don't know what to say to that, alas. The rubrics for the 1962 Missal are to administer on the tongue while kneeling, and in one kind. The only exception is if the person is physically unable to kneel. Also, the Precious Blood can be given to people who have a wheat allergy or can't consume solids, but it's still one kind only.

The standing/kneeling at low Mass is immaterial because there are no rubrics for the laity on posture. At least one liturgical author has made a good case that the postures for sung/solemn Mass should be applied to low Mass as well, and that the directions found in those little red booklets are completely arbitrary or even invented wholecloth.

I only mentioned the standing/kneeling to indicate that they were physically capable of moving reasonably well.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Prayerful

Every Sunday after the Gospel is sung the priest at the Indult Mass always says: 'in this form of the Mass* Communion is received on the tongue. You should kneel unless physically unable to do so.' I sometimes have found kneeling hard, and walking for that matter after an accident, but I can receive Communion correctly. People should be more aware. Some places, in particular the UK, specifically England and Wales, had a fairly wide Indult, although that might not have meant many more Masses.

*The Bugini service is no Mass, while this Indult Mass is of a high standard. The robed choir is off for two months, but the choir they have, is excellent. Welcome OP and blessings.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Older Salt

One of the first 'indult" Masses, in the state I live in, was offered by an Benedictine priest who came to the chapel before Mass in a sweatshirt, shorts and sandals.
Before Mass he announced that we could receive either in the hand or on the tongue.
Several people left at this point.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Prayerful

Sandals are suitably monkish, but otherwise, that's a bit poor.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Kaesekopf

Get involved with the chapel/parish/group and help clean them up, or go to the SSPX. 

Maybe they're too ignorant to figure out what to do and how to do it.  Maybe the priest needs some help getting a proper catechesis rolling.

You never know.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 18, 2015, 01:27:51 PM
Maybe the priest needs some help getting a proper catechesis rolling.

"Maybe."  Almost guaranteed.    ;)

GeorgeT

I have been going to so called indult Masses for 22 years. Not once have I seen Holy Communion in the hand.
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

dymphnaw

It sounds like most of your problem was in your own head.

A. W. Pugin

Quote from: dymphnaw on August 19, 2015, 05:28:11 AM

Yes, probably. But I have been treated pretty abysmally by some non-SSPX Catholics and it has left me bruised and paranoid. As faithful Catholics, we are a minority, but to be a minority of a minority constitutes a trail for a lot of us.

Miriam_M

Quote from: A. W. Pugin on August 19, 2015, 06:52:59 AM
Quote from: dymphnaw on August 19, 2015, 05:28:11 AM

Yes, probably. But I have been treated pretty abysmally by some non-SSPX Catholics and it has left me bruised and paranoid. As faithful Catholics, we are a minority, but to be a minority of a minority constitutes a trail for a lot of us.

Treated absymally as you described at the indult Mass experience, or elsewhere?