"Spiritual contract"?

Started by Daniel, May 16, 2021, 02:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

I think that's what it's called... I know that Fr. Ripperger has spoken of it before (and I came across a similar concept elsewhere). I think it's a means by which you can add intentionality to stuff. Basically, you enter into a sort of contract with God such that whenever you do some particular agreed-upon physical action, God counts it as if you've said some particular agreed-upon prayer (I don't think He gives you the full effects of the prayer, but He does count it for something). Am I understanding this right? Has anyone here done this before?

One thing I'm wondering is, after we draw up the contract then how do we know whether God accepts the terms? Contracts are supposed to be two-sided, not just one person making up rules and binding the other person.

Come to think of it, is this even a legitimate practice? It seems kind of magical, as if we are imposing our will on God rather than submitting ourselves to God's will. I hope I'm not grossly misconstruing this.

Insanis

Misuse of any devotion, prayer, and sacramental can be done in a way that is superstitious, so if you are not understanding this sort of practice, ignore it.

Instead, why not have a short prayer or a pious gesture that you make a habit of doing in the presence of certain events. I cross myself in front of churches with the blessed sacrament in them, pray for the dead when I see or hear of a person dying, pray a certain prayer when I see certain vices in public, etc.

No contract needed and no questions about the goodness of them.

One thing I'm wondering is, after we draw up the contract then how do we know whether God accepts the terms?

You would get a notarized copy in triplicate. You read it over and sign it, and then keep the top one and send the pink copy to the diocesan registrar, and send the other back to God.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Daniel on May 16, 2021, 02:11:09 PM
I think that's what it's called... I know that Fr. Ripperger has spoken of it before (and I came across a similar concept elsewhere). I think it's a means by which you can add intentionality to stuff. Basically, you enter into a sort of contract with God such that whenever you do some particular agreed-upon physical action, God counts it as if you've said some particular agreed-upon prayer (I don't think He gives you the full effects of the prayer, but He does count it for something). Am I understanding this right? Has anyone here done this before?

One thing I'm wondering is, after we draw up the contract then how do we know whether God accepts the terms? Contracts are supposed to be two-sided, not just one person making up rules and binding the other person.

Come to think of it, is this even a legitimate practice? It seems kind of magical, as if we are imposing our will on God rather than submitting ourselves to God's will. I hope I'm not grossly misconstruing this.

Daniel, I've heard Fr. Ripperger's and Fr. Phil Wolfe's sermons on this topic.  I don't think there's anything "illegitimate" about it, but I do not recommend it for you because I think it invites too many doubts and too much fixation on technicalities such as "intentionality" -- a big temptation for you to dwell on. 

Although I am not scrupulous, it is not a practice that appeals to me because it is far too "mechanical" for my taste, and I want my heart and mind consciously disposed to God whenever I pray for even the kind of regular intention both of these priests are talking about.  JMO, of course.

Just because a practice is "allowed" or "legitimate" does not mean it is equally beneficial for every Catholic.

Daniel

I see, guess I won't try it then.

It's just that I had an idea of setting up one of these contracts in order that I could successfully pray the Rosary. As it is now, I cannot pray the Rosary, because (for me personally) the vocal prayers get in the way. But I figured, if there were some way to cut out the vocal prayers--perhaps by setting up a contract--, then I'd actually be able to pray the Rosary. Guess it's not going to work though.

Insanis

Quote from: Daniel on May 17, 2021, 03:54:54 PM
It's just that I had an idea of setting up one of these contracts in order that I could successfully pray the Rosary. As it is now, I cannot pray the Rosary, because (for me personally) the vocal prayers get in the way.

What do you mean the "vocal prayers get in the way"?

Daniel

Quote from: Insanis on May 17, 2021, 03:59:03 PM
What do you mean the "vocal prayers get in the way"?

I'll start a new thread. (Probably best to keep this one on the topic of spiritual contracts, in case anyone wants to keep discussing that.)

edit - here