Chat FAQs and Tips

Started by TerrorDæmonum, February 08, 2013, 08:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

The link for the Chat at the top of the page leads to a page where a chat session will load. You can choose a name, or use the one provided (based on your forum name), and chat away on most devices without any plugins or extensions.

However, the chat is much better than that, and for those interested, here are some tips and FAQs and their answers.

Why is my name...whatever it is?

The name is automatically filled in using a very simple algorithm: it is your forum name plus "sd". If your forum name, such as my own (Pæniteo), contains the dreaded forbidden characters, you get a random enough name.

How do I change my name?

If you do not enter another name when entering the chat, you can change your name with an IRC command. To change your name to "Nemo", type the following command in the chat:

/nick Nemo

If this name is registered by another (or you), you will be notified (not necessarily in the tab you entered the command), and you should change it again. You can change your name like this at any time.

How do I register my name?

To associate your name with a password and an email address, you can follow the instructions here: http://wiki.mibbit.com/index.php/NICK

What is "tab completion"?

This is a very important tip: this chat allows you to automatically type names by typing the first characters (from one to all but the last) of a name and then pressing "tab". This is better than using nicknames aside from the channel names, as when a users name is used, that stands out to that person. So, do not type "kk", but type "k" and then press tab to reference Kaesekopf.

How does the chat work?

It is a Mibbit IRC channel. It is not part of the forum. The forum interface is only one (convenient) way to connect to it. You can use any IRC client. Web browsers such as Google Chrome and Firefox have extensions for using IRC through the browser, and Opera has an IRC client built in. The forum's modification does not have all the IRC features, such as timestamps next to every line.

How private is it?
Channels can be logged, however, only the admin has access to those logs. One gets a list of people in the channel who can see what is going on. Normally, people do not see what occurred before they entered. You do not need a forum account to use the channel. More private chats can be done through personal chat sessions.

Does it support any video chat?

No. IRC is text only.

Does it cost anything?

Chatting, registering, and the forum modification have no charge.

Kaesekopf

Thank you for writing this up!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 08, 2013, 08:48:34 AM
Thank you for writing this up!

It can be copied and added to as needed, if you want to add it to a sticky (or sticky it).

If anybody has any questions, or if I see questions frequently asked, I will add them.

Kaesekopf

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

I added a picture of the PM function.  It is pretty cool. 

I've noticed some people haven't quite noticed it's use in the IRC channel, so I thought it instructive to post here.  :)

Older Salt

I am trying to put an image on my profile here at SD.

Can anyone please tell me how to do this from my Photobucket account?

[sorry if this has been already covered]
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Older Salt on May 24, 2013, 07:12:11 AM

Here you go:
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Gottmitunsalex

Just   highlight the following line and click on the photo icon above.

http://www.virgo-maria.org/images/Eveques%20FSSPX/Bishop-Williamson.jpg
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Jayne

Quote from: Older Salt on May 24, 2013, 07:12:11 AM

I could not do it when I tried.  I got one of my children to do it for me.  But I can tell you that GMA is just messing with you and not giving real advice.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

ADMG

It would be neat if the chat made some small noise to alert one when a new user logged on. It would make it easier to have open in the background.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: ADMG on November 23, 2013, 04:55:13 PM
It would be neat if the chat made some small noise to alert one when a new user logged on. It would make it easier to have open in the background.

If anyone can find a free chat program that will do this, PM me and we can work on it.

ADMG

Kaesekopf

Quote from: ADMG on November 28, 2013, 03:23:53 PM
Are you sure you couldn't do it with Mibbit?

I honestly didn't know that.

I'll try to get that supported by our client/channel this weekend. 

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

ADMG