St. Francis de Sales: seculars must "form holy and sacred friendships"

Started by Geremia, November 19, 2020, 06:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

Particular friendships are necessary for seculars (but not for monastics). St. Francis de Sales wrote in ch. 19 of Introduction to the Devout Life:
QuoteFor since in a well-regulated monastery the common aim of all tends to true devotion, there is no need to form particular friendships there, for fear lest, making a particular aim of that which is the common aim, they pass from particular friendships to partialities; but as for those who live in the world, and who embrace true virtue, it is necessary for them to form holy and sacred friendships with one another; for by this means they encourage one another, help one another, and lead one another on to good.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Geremia on November 19, 2020, 06:16:22 PM
Particular friendships are necessary for seculars (but not for monastics). St. Francis de Sales wrote in ch. 19 of Introduction to the Devout Life:
QuoteFor since in a well-regulated monastery the common aim of all tends to true devotion, there is no need to form particular friendships there, for fear lest, making a particular aim of that which is the common aim, they pass from particular friendships to partialities; but as for those who live in the world, and who embrace true virtue, it is necessary for them to form holy and sacred friendships with one another; for by this means they encourage one another, help one another, and lead one another on to good.

I have always believed this, and the apostolate that regards its chief patron as St. Francis de Sales seems to adopt this practice, which I find healthy.

Geremia

Quote from: Miriam_M on November 20, 2020, 12:20:02 AMthe apostolate that regards its chief patron as St. Francis de Sales
What is this apostolate called?

Christe Eleison

It is most likely, the Institute of Christ the King. :pray3: I love them!

Quote from: Geremia on November 20, 2020, 12:02:47 PM
Quote from: Miriam_M on November 20, 2020, 12:20:02 AMthe apostolate that regards its chief patron as St. Francis de Sales

Christe Eleison

"The Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest is a Society of Apostolic Life of Pontifical Right whose goal is the honor of God and the sanctification of priests in the service of the Church and souls. Its specific aim is missionary: to spread the reign of our Lord Jesus Christ in all spheres of human life. Our work is carried out under the patronage of the Immaculate Conception, to Whom the Institute is consecrated."

https://www.institute-christ-king.org/

Recognizing the importance of a deep harmony between faith, liturgy, life, and the power of beauty in attracting the human senses to the things above, an integral part of the Institute's charism is the use of the traditional Latin Liturgy of 1962 for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and the other sacraments. Great care for a solemn liturgy, complete fidelity to the doctrine of the Church and the Holy Father, and awareness of the central role of Grace, especially Charity — these are essential elements of the Institute's spirituality,

which is drawn from its three co-patrons, St. Benedict, St. Thomas Aquinas, and

***St. Francis de Sales. Our motto, taken from St. Paul, is "Live the truth in charity."***

Geremia

I used to be an Institute parishioner. Yes! They really fostered my devotion to St. Francis. I was so impressed by Introduction to the Devout Life when a trad priest and friend of an ICRSS canon recommended it to me years ago. Now that I've learned more about St. Francis (especially his beautiful relationship with St. Jane de Chantal), I am re-appreciating this great Doctor Caritatis. I want to read his Treatise on the Love of God at some point.

Maximilian

Quote from: Geremia on November 20, 2020, 06:03:30 PM
I am re-appreciating this great Doctor Caritatis.
I want to read his Treatise on the Love of God at some point.

Yes, please do. It is well worth the time invested. I highly recommend it for everyone. Rather than Doctor Caritatis maybe he should be Doctor Claritatis since his writing is so clear and readable.

I started to read Treatise on the Love of God on-line, but it was so good that I stopped and bought a real book.

Miriam_M

Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest.