Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

Quote from: Gardener on April 10, 2014, 04:52:35 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 10, 2014, 04:21:16 PMIf "the wages of sin is death," then why would a sinless woman suffer death or decay?

That passage (Romans 6) is primarily speaking of the eternal death.

She did not suffer decay, as according to Tradition she was assumed following her temporal death before the necessary time elapsed to make her ritually unclean under Jewish law.

Well, both beliefs are permissible to hold (that Our Lady suffered bodily death, or that she did not) until something dogmatic is declared about this.  By "decay," however, I was referring to the decay of aging while she lived, and not the bodily decay of a corpse, since I don't believe that she died.

Do you think Our Lady aged past the most perfect bloom of her adulthood?  Do you think her body was subject to the vicissitudes of growing old?  I do not.  I believe that, being free of sin, she was given the gift of immortality that God had originally given to the sinless Adam & Eve, but which they spurned.  Remember, the fruit of the Tree of Life was not forbidden in Eden—it was put there for them to eat thereof, and to "live for ever"; it's just that the first pair opted to take from the Tree of Knowledge instead.

erin is nice

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 10, 2014, 06:09:53 PM
Well, both beliefs are permissible to hold (that Our Lady suffered bodily death, or that she did not) until something dogmatic is declared about this.  By "decay," however, I was referring to the decay of aging while she lived, and not the bodily decay of a corpse, since I don't believe that she died.

In the movie, Our Lady is shown to be in her late 40's, and at that age, healthy people have not experienced the 'decay of aging'.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: erin is nice on April 11, 2014, 06:53:32 AM

In the movie, Our Lady is shown to be in her late 40's, and at that age, healthy people have not experienced the 'decay of aging'.

You say that now...  don't lie to yourself!  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Mono no aware

But of course they have.  I'm in my 40s; I should know.  A person at 42 does not look the same as they did at 22.  The aging process is a curve, not a plateau.

erin is nice

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 11, 2014, 08:56:46 AM

But of course they have.  I'm in my 40s; I should know.  A person at 42 does not look the same as they did at 22.  The aging process is a curve, not a plateau.

Do you think it's all about looks?

Mono no aware

Quote from: erin is nice on April 11, 2014, 10:03:20 AM
Do you think it's all about looks?

No.  Wisdom, for example, is frequently accrued with age, and that is certainly a positive benefit of the process.  But this discussion is about whether the Blessed Virgin Mary was physically preserved in the perfect bloom of her adult beauty; she who, speaking of wisdom, is the Seat of Wisdom herself: "for she is more beautiful than the sun, and above all the order of the stars: being compared with the light, she is found before it."

I believe that she was physically preserved in her perfect bloom, because I believe that being free of sin, she did not suffer the physical decay of the body which is the curse of death wrought from Original Sin: "for dust thou art, and into dust thou shalt return."  Aging is, physically speaking, a curve: you're born, you grow up, you reach the peak of your bloom (the state Adam & Eve would've kept eternally had they not sinned), and then it's all downhill from there.  We're all slowly crumbling back into dust.  It's just a hard fact of life.  Everybody knew what David Bowie meant when he sang, "we live for just these 20 years / do we have to die for the 50 more?"

maryslittlegarden

Stage Door

Edited to correct title
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Larry

Cecil B. Demille's 1927 King of Kings. One of the best movies about Our Lord ever made.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Mono no aware

Larry

The first half of Jesus of Nazareth.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Gardener

Tried to watch the new G.I. Joe: Retaliation on Netflix.

It was sufficient, but most definitely inefficacious.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Michael Wilson

Thor The Dark World; very well made, I enjoyed it.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

MilesChristi

Quote from: red solo cup on April 18, 2014, 05:17:52 AM
The Usual Suspects

Awesome movie.

Enviado desde mi SCH-I545 mediante Tapatalk

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.