What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: red solo cup on March 05, 2015, 09:04:30 AM
A Movable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. His account of Paris in 20's. It has all the usual suspects. Pound. Fitzgerald. Elliot. Joyce. Gertrude Stein. Even though it was early in his career, by his own account he was already putting away enormous quantities of alcohol.

I need to read that one.   If I could time travel, Paris in the 20's would be my first place to visit.  Rose colored glasses and all.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

Parade's End, by Ford Madox Ford. Anybody read it?
My Lord and my God.

Jacob

I am reading the transcripts of the lectures from one of the Open Yale Courses, SPAN 300: Cervantes' Don Quixote.  I'm reading a lecture per day and am up to number three.  I read Don Quixote the summer before last and have learned a lot so far.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

piabee

zork

Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

red solo cup

On the recommendation of fellow posters, I've just finished God's Battalions by Rodney Stark. Quite an eye opener.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Spera In Deo

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 11, 2014, 02:50:31 PM
How is removing the blindfold?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Guess what?  I was reading too many things at once, never finished it.  Now it is waiting to be unpacked with all my other books.  I will have to get back to it.

My first impression was that it is a more densely written book than what I am used to.  I can not read large doses of it.

I liked Abp Lefebvres "They Have Uncrowned Him".  The Abp writes with simplicity and clarity, which is rare.
"What Catholics once were, we are. If we are wrong, then Catholics through the ages have been wrong.
We are what you once were. We believe what you once believed.
We worship as you once worshipped. If we are wrong now, you were wrong then. If you were right then, we are right now".

Robert DePiante

piabee

Hemingway short stories. They talk about how great it would be to take Chesterton fishing in one.

maryslittlegarden

Patriot Games and The Hunt for Red October.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Basilios

Enders Game. Dune was amazing, hoping this also loves up to the hype.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

red solo cup

Quote from: Chestertonian on April 09, 2015, 02:27:14 PM
frog and toad are friends
Love Frog and Toad. I always read them to my kids. Great for kids AND adults.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Quote from: Basilios on April 09, 2015, 02:14:50 PM
Enders Game. Dune was amazing, hoping this also loves up to the hype.

Oooh, I loved Ender's Game. The only science fiction book on my shelves. One of the books that I wish I could read for the first time all over again.  :)
My Lord and my God.

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Baldrick

Quote from: red solo cup on April 09, 2015, 02:59:27 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on April 09, 2015, 02:27:14 PM
frog and toad are friends
Love Frog and Toad. I always read them to my kids. Great for kids AND adults.

I LOVE Frog & Toad.  Remember my father laughing so hard when he read it to me.