What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Just finished From the Holy Mountain by William Dalrymple. The author retraces the footsteps of John Moschos a Byzantine monk who in 587 AD visited
various holy site and monasteries of Eastern Christendom. Moschos wrote a book about his experiences called The Spiritual Meadow. Among the places
visited by Dalrymple were the Fishponds of Abraham in Edessa Turkey. These are ancient and were considered sacred first by pagans then Jews. Then Christians and finally Moslems. The lore of these ponds says that when Abraham smashed the idols, King Nemrut (Nimrod) had a large bonfire kindled and
had Abraham tossed in. But God took pity and turned the fire into water and the wood into fish.
Another spot was the Convent of Seidnay , north of Damascus. Here the Syrian Church has an icon of Notre Dame that muslims believe can cure childlessness. Women who want children sleep on the floor in front of the icon and even eat the burnt wicks of the candles lit there. Who would have thought.
Another place was the Greek Orthodox monastery of Mar Saba north of the Dead Sea. Here, with the exception of two weeks in 614 AD when all but a few of
the monks were slaughtered by Persian raiders, Divine Office has been sung every morning for 1,380 years.
All in all this was an excellent read
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jacob

Previously I got through The Yellow Admiral and now I'm working through The Hundred Days.  Then just two more and I'm done with Jack and Stephen!  It will be a sad day when i finish 21 though.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

LausTibiChriste

More Catholic Than the Pope: A Critique of Extreme Traditionalism by Patrick Madrid...because, yenno, I felt I needed more mortification in me life (it's the shittiest critique ever...but that's not too hard to imagine when you're trying to critique Catholicism)

and

The $100 Startup...because to hell to working for The Man.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Lynne

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 22, 2014, 12:19:43 AM
More Catholic Than the Pope: A Critique of Extreme Traditionalism by Patrick Madrid...because, yenno, I felt I needed more mortification in me life (it's the shittiest critique ever...but that's not too hard to imagine when you're trying to critique Catholicism)

and

"Extreme Traditionalism" - attending the TLM?  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Jacob

All the President's Men by Woodward and Bernstein.  I really got sucked in last night and stayed up until after 1am.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Lynne on December 22, 2014, 05:03:58 AM

and

Tell me about it. The book is childish, illogical and as unacademic as they come. If they're right than being a Catholic pre 1960 is extremism
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 22, 2014, 08:50:46 PM

and

Tell me about it. The book is childish, illogical and as unacademic as they come. If they're right than being a Catholic pre 1960 is extremism

I paged through it at a store in my FSSP days...

Even then it seemed silly!  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

maryslittlegarden

I read it a few years ago.... meh. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

AngloFalcon

The Scorch Trials (sequel to the Maze Runner). It's relatively entertaining but probably not especially well written. Easy read.

Jacob

Before Christmas, my library book was All the President's Men.  Still got that on the table.

At Christmas, I got two Calvin and Hobbes books and another book about a reporter looking for a lost expedition into the Amazon.  I read one of the C&H books.  Very interesting how Watterson talks about his work and why he wouldn't compromise on licensing.
--Neal Stephenson

red solo cup

The book about the lost expedition. Was that the Lost City of Z?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

I just finished The Help, by Katherine Stockett (again).
My Lord and my God.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Jacob on December 28, 2014, 09:36:15 AM
Before Christmas, my library book was All the President's Men.  Still got that on the table.

At Christmas, I got two Calvin and Hobbes books and another book about a reporter looking for a lost expedition into the Amazon.  I read one of the C&H books.  Very interesting how Watterson talks about his work and why he wouldn't compromise on licensing.

i love calvin and hobbes my son has a stuffed hobbes we got him when he q was a baby
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Chestertonian

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 22, 2014, 09:02:46 PM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 22, 2014, 08:50:46 PM

and

I paged through it at a store in my FSSP days...

Even then it seemed silly!  :lol:
you were a seminarian?
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Kaesekopf

Lol no, just when I attended only FSSP masses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.