What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GopherBroke

St. Thomas the Apostle, pray for us.
Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, pray for us.
Our Lady of Guadalupe, pray for us.
St. Vibiana, pray for us.
Father Bl. Junipero Serra, pray for us.
St. Francis de Sales, pray for us.

Bernadette

Just started The Glories of Mary last night. Haven't read it for about six years, and I'm really enjoying it.
My Lord and my God.

dymphna17

Since lightening took out our TV, internet, and telephone for a few days, I got some reading done.  Have any of you ever read "The Anatomy of Revolution", by Crane Brinton.  It was written in 1938.  It takes and dissects the French Revolution, the Russian Revolution, the English Revolution,  and the American Revolution and finds their commonalities.  I can see how Vatican II was plotted, this stupidity with Ukraine and Russia, and how the ME is coming to power after reading this book.  I'm 2/3 the way through and would be interested to hear others thoughts about it.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

GeorgeT

In the Shadow of His Wings by Fr. Gereon Goldmann. A great read. The obvious work of Providence in this man's life was amazing.
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

red solo cup

Eleanor of Aquitaine by Amy Kelly
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Sbyvl36

Quote from: dymphna17 on August 27, 2014, 09:02:52 PM
Since lightening took out our TV, internet, and telephone for a few days, I got some reading done.  Have any of you ever read "The Anatomy of Revolution", by Crane Brinton.  It was written in 1938.  It takes and dissects the French Revolution, the Russian Revolution, the English Revolution,  and the American Revolution and finds their commonalities.  I can see how Vatican II was plotted, this stupidity with Ukraine and Russia, and how the ME is coming to power after reading this book.  I'm 2/3 the way through and would be interested to hear others thoughts about it.

Who are the ME?
My blog: sbyvl.wordpress.com

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

"That the Conciliar Church is a schismatic Church, because it breaks with the Catholic Church that has always been. It has its new dogmas, its new priesthood, its new institutions, its new worship, all already condemned by the Church in many a document, official and definitive."
--Archbishop Lefebvre

Heliocentricism is idiocy.

dymphna17

Quote from: Sbyvl36 on August 28, 2014, 04:36:59 PM

Who are the ME?

The Middle East.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Sbyvl36

Quote from: dymphna17 on August 28, 2014, 05:00:51 PM

Who are the ME?

The Middle East.

Ah, for a second I though you were referring to the MeMes.
My blog: sbyvl.wordpress.com

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

"That the Conciliar Church is a schismatic Church, because it breaks with the Catholic Church that has always been. It has its new dogmas, its new priesthood, its new institutions, its new worship, all already condemned by the Church in many a document, official and definitive."
--Archbishop Lefebvre

Heliocentricism is idiocy.

dymphna17

Quote from: Sbyvl36 on August 28, 2014, 05:02:15 PM
Quote from: dymphna17 on August 28, 2014, 05:00:51 PM

Who are the ME?

The Middle East.

Ah, for a second I though you were referring to the MeMes.

Yeah, their revolution was something else!   :lol:
?

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Angelorum

I'm reading this for a Medieval political theory class - it's pretty interesting.

"All men naturally desire to know, but what does knowledge avail without the fear of God? Indeed an humble peasant, that serves God, is better than a proud philosopher, who neglecting himself, considers the course of the heavens." - Thomas à Kempis, Imitation of Christ

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Angelorum on August 31, 2014, 04:47:51 PM
I'm reading this for a Medieval political theory class - it's pretty interesting.

How far into are you? Can you give us a brief synopsis of his political thoughts?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Rose

Quote from: GeorgeT on August 27, 2014, 10:05:12 PM
In the Shadow of His Wings by Fr. Gereon Goldmann. A great read. The obvious work of Providence in this man's life was amazing.

That's an amazing book! If it's the same one I'm thinking of. It's about a seminarian in the SS?
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Angelorum

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on September 01, 2014, 11:32:14 PM
Quote from: Angelorum on August 31, 2014, 04:47:51 PM

How far into are you? Can you give us a brief synopsis of his political thoughts?

I haven't entirely finished it, but here a few nuggets of wisdom:

• The end of politics should be for the common good of all.
  • Man is by nature a political and social animal.
  • Not all vices ought to be criminalized, unless without their prohibition human society could not be maintained.
  • The best form of government is a monarchy, after that a aristocracy.
  • All theft leads to mortal sin, regardless of intention.

"All men naturally desire to know, but what does knowledge avail without the fear of God? Indeed an humble peasant, that serves God, is better than a proud philosopher, who neglecting himself, considers the course of the heavens." - Thomas à Kempis, Imitation of Christ