Previous topic - Next topic

Maximilian

Quote from: Clare on February 26, 2014, 09:26:35 AM
Quote from: Clare on February 11, 2014, 05:58:22 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on February 10, 2014, 04:29:29 PM
Quote from: Clare on February 10, 2014, 02:52:00 AM
That Hideous Strength

Be sure to let us know your reaction.
Will do. It was you who piqued my interest in this book in the first place, Max! :D
Well, I've finished it now. What a remarkable book! I think I was a little disadvantaged by not knowing a great deal about King Arthur's story.

To tell the truth, I kind of faded out when it got to the Merlin part at the end. It was the earlier parts of the story that I found insightful. Lewis tried to tack on a happy ending. I'm afraid the real life analogue of the story does not have a positive outcome.

Bonaventure

The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England, 1400-1580

by Eamon Duffy
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 02, 2014, 03:17:16 AM

by Eamon Duffy

How is it,?  I have it and have been meaning to get to it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

red solo cup

The Judgement of Paris: The Revolutionary Decade that Gave the World Impressionism by Ross King
non impediti ratione cogitationis

maryslittlegarden

The Elusive Pimpernel via Librivox
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bonaventure

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 02, 2014, 01:03:00 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on March 02, 2014, 03:17:16 AM

by Eamon Duffy

How is it,?  I have it and have been meaning to get to it...

For a history, it's outstanding. Well written and not dry, excellently sourced, sufficiently thorough.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Kaesekopf

Sweet.  That is exciting.

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on March 02, 2014, 05:38:38 PM

Is that different than The Scarlet Pimpernel (which I liked)?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Lynne on March 02, 2014, 07:23:57 PM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on March 02, 2014, 05:38:38 PM

Is that different than The Scarlet Pimpernel (which I liked)?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Yes - there is a whole series of Pimpernel books.  Librivox has a lot of them, web archive might have a print version of them. I think most of the sequels have been out of print for awhile. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Lynne on March 03, 2014, 08:16:14 AM
Oh boy!

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Yeah, I love the Pimpernal stories.  (Monarchist that I am :) :) :) )

Michael Wilson

I just finished reading "A Family of Brigands" by: Marie de Sainte-Hermine.  This is the story of two sisters who lived in the Vendee during the period of the uprising against the Revolutionary government in Paris.  The story is chronicled by Marie, the youngest, as the family goes from a tranquil existence of a noble family in the province; to the uprising of the Vendee, and the struggles that lead to the loss of much of that happy life.  Through it all, the faith of these noble people, both peasants and aristocrats shines through.  I highly recommend it to anybody who would like to read a rousing and gripping  Catholic adventure story; I and several of my family who have read it, have really been edified by the tale of these Crusaders and Martyrs for the faith.  Five Stars. 
Ps. This is a true story.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Michael Wilson

A Commentary on the Gospel of St. Matthew; St. Thomas Aquinas; trans. By Fr. Paul Kimball.
I'm currently reading this excellent commentary on the Gospel of St. Matthew by St. Thomas; it is very interesting to read the depth of meaning that so many verses of the Gospel have, and which St. Thomas brings to light by his weaving together the commentaries of so many of the Church Fathers.  If you want to increase in your knowledge of the faith and of the Gospels, then I would highly recommend this book.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Michael Wilson

On the recommendation of my friend Maximilian, who advised me to buy anything written by Fr. Faber. I decided to follow his advice;  Fr. Frederick Faber, is the well known English spiritual writer of the 19th C. and the book I'm reading is  "Growth in Holiness".  I have only advanced to the third chapter, but I had to write that what Fr. Faber has been saying in the first two chapters is worth the price of the whole book.  His chapters on "Kindness" and "Kind Thoughts", are a must read for any Catholic who is serious about making progress in the spiritual life.  There is enough material in those two chapters to keep me busy in examining and  reforming my own exterior and interior behavior for the rest of my life.  Five stars.
Ps. This will not be the last Fr. Faber book I will purchase.
Pp. Ss. Thanks Max!

Lynne

Quote from: Michael Wilson on March 07, 2014, 09:23:55 AM
On the recommendation of my friend Maximilian, who advised me to buy anything written by Fr. Faber. I decided to follow his advice;  Fr. Frederick Faber, is the well known English spiritual writer of the 19th C. and the book I'm reading is  "Growth in Holiness".  I have only advanced to the third chapter, but I had to write that what Fr. Faber has been saying in the first two chapters is worth the price of the whole book.  His chapters on "Kindness" and "Kind Thoughts", are a must read for any Catholic who is serious about making progress in the spiritual life.  There is enough material in those two chapters to keep me busy in examining and  reforming my own exterior and interior behavior for the rest of my life.  Five stars.
Ps. This will not be the last Fr. Faber book I will purchase.
Pp. Ss. Thanks Max!

I'm reading this for Lent. I agree, it's very good...