What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on September 29, 2021, 10:44:59 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on September 26, 2021, 01:53:11 PM
El Camino. Walking to Santiago de Compostela by Lee Hoinacki.

How is it?

The Camino and more so the Via Francigena have always been on my bucket list
Very good. The author was nonpractising since childhood. While on the journey he began saying the rosary, had a profound experience and returned to the faith.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Getting ready to start The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco.
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

Quote from: Bernadette on October 04, 2021, 09:03:24 AM

It is perhaps a bit unfair on aspect of the Spiritual v Conventual Franciscan and the efforts of Bernardo Gui OP, who endeavoured to always emphasise mercy and repentance. Perhaps the film or drama recreations exaggerate it still further. Yet it is a fascinating book, and quite an outing for semiotics.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Christina_S

Quote from: Bernadette on October 04, 2021, 09:03:24 AM
Man, I guiltily enjoyed that one.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

maryslittlegarden

Rereading  In This House of Brede
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett. So far it's good.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Taking a break to listen to Lulu's Christmas Story, by Ludmilla Bollow. I love this book.
My Lord and my God.

Tennessean

The Red and The Black

"Beware, my son, of what is passing within your heart," said the curé with a frown, "I congratulate you on your mission, if that is the only reason why you despise a more than ample fortune. It is fifty-six years since I was first curé of Verrières, and yet I shall be turned out, according to all appearances. I am distressed by it, and yet my income amounts to eight hundred francs. I inform you of this detail so that you may not be under any illusions as to what awaits you in your career as a priest. If you think of paying court to the men who enjoy power, your eternal damnation is assured. You may make your fortune, but you will have to do harm to the poor, flatter the sub-prefect, the mayor, the man who enjoys prestige, and pander to his passion; this conduct, which in the world is called knowledge of life, is not absolutely incompatible with salvation so far as a layman is concerned; but in our vocation we have to make a choice; it is a question of making one's fortune either in this world or the next; there is no middle road. Come, my dear friend, reflect, and come back in three days with a definite answer. I am pained to detect that there is at the bottom of your character a sombre passion which is far from indicating to me that moderation and that perfect renunciation of earthly advantages so necessary for a priest; I augur well of your intellect, but allow me to tell you," added the good curé with tears in his eyes, "I tremble for your salvation in your career as a priest."

Julien was ashamed of his emotion; he found himself loved for the first time in his life; he wept with delight; and went to hide his tears in the great woods behind Verrières.

"Why am I in this position?" he said to himself at last, "I feel that I would give my life a hundred times over for this good curé Chélan, and he has just proved to me that I am nothing more than a fool. It is especially necessary for me to deceive him, and he manages to find me out. The secret ardour which he refers to is my plan of making my fortune. He thinks I am unworthy of being a priest, that too, just when I was imagining that my sacrifice of fifty louis would give him the very highest idea of my piety and devotion to my mission."

"In future," continued Julien, "I will only reckon on those elements in my character which I have tested. Who could have told me that I should find any pleasure in shedding tears? How I should like some one to convince me that I am simply a fool!"

Three days later, Julien found the excuse with which he ought to have been prepared on the first day; the excuse was a piece of calumny, but what did it matter? He confessed to the curé, with a great deal of hesitation, that he had been persuaded from the suggested union by a reason he could not explain, inasmuch as it tended to damage a third party. This was equivalent to impeaching Elisa's conduct. M. Chélan found that his manner betrayed a certain worldly fire which was very different from that which ought to have animated a young acolyte.

"My friend," he said to him again, "be a good country citizen, respected and educated, rather than a priest without a vocation."

I'm reading Burton Raffel's translation, I like it more, but I wanted to share this part because its so ominous to me.

red solo cup

A Pride of Lions. Joshua Chamberlain & Other Maine Civil War Heroes by William Lemke

Heinrich

Quote from: red solo cup on October 14, 2021, 06:17:22 AM
A Pride of Lions. Joshua Chamberlain & Other Maine Civil War Heroes by William Lemke

Please give some anecdotes when done.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bernadette

The Thousand and One Nights. A new translation. I''ve had these for a while, but never got around to reading them.
My Lord and my God.

Christina_S

The Ways of Mental Prayer by Fr. Lehodey.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

red solo cup

Lucrezia Borgia by Sarah Bradford. The author contends that Lucrezia's history is unfair as it was written mostly by her enemies.

Melkor

Three men in a Boat, to Say Nothing of the Dog. One of the funniest books I have ever read.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ