Miraculous Medal Latin Inscription

Started by drummerboy, March 05, 2024, 09:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

I have a few Miraculous medals with a Latin inscription on them, but it doesn't seem genuine.  It reads: "Resina Sine Labe Originali Concerta O.P.N."  This doesn't seem like Latin, and "Maria" is nowhere to be found (I can read that much Latin at least).
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Maximilian

Quote from: drummerboy on March 05, 2024, 09:44:37 AMI have a few Miraculous medals with a Latin inscription on them, but it doesn't seem genuine.  It reads: "Resina Sine Labe Originali Concerta O.P.N."  This doesn't seem like Latin, and "Maria" is nowhere to be found (I can read that much Latin at least).

It looks like just a couple letters of misreading -- "Regina Sine Labe Original Concepta O.P.N."

Translated as "Queen without Original Sin Conceived, Pray for Us."

drummerboy

Thank you!  That's a bizarre inscription, not heretical of course, but definitely not an authentic medal of the Immaculate Conception. I'll take a metal snips to them, it's unsettling.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: drummerboy on March 05, 2024, 12:33:30 PMThank you!  That's a bizarre inscription, not heretical of course, but definitely not an authentic medal of the Immaculate Conception. I'll take a metal snips to them, it's unsettling.

"Queen conceived without original sin" is a pretty normal reference to Our Lady.  Shows up in a lot of litanies.  What is unsettling?
this page left intentionally blank

Maximilian

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on March 05, 2024, 01:26:31 PM
Quote from: drummerboy on March 05, 2024, 12:33:30 PMThank you!  That's a bizarre inscription, not heretical of course, but definitely not an authentic medal of the Immaculate Conception. I'll take a metal snips to them, it's unsettling.

"Queen conceived without original sin" is a pretty normal reference to Our Lady.  Shows up in a lot of litanies.  What is unsettling?

Yes, here is the Litany of the Blessed Virgin in Latin with just that wording.

https://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/BVM/Laurentanae.html

Regina sine labe originali concepta,
R. ora pro nobis.

I guess there remains the question whether those 2 letters were genuinely incorrect or whether it was just misread, perhaps due to the font used, for example.

drummerboy

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on March 05, 2024, 01:26:31 PM

I'm not arguing her title, but how badly the maker of the medal in question screwed up.  They didn't use the correct prayer and misspelled several words.