Swimming Apparel

Started by Mono no aware, May 02, 2014, 12:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

Quote from: erin is nice on May 02, 2014, 03:18:22 PMIt meets my requirements, but not necessarily all trads. I mean, I wear jeans every day, and most trads have a problem with that, so I am obviously a reprobate.

I clicked on the link.  It's sort of a ruffled bikini.  Floral print.  Feh.  I guess it's okay, but it does seem to show a bit of skin.  I don't think Pius XII would've approved.  Or was it Pius XI?  I can't remember.  Whichever one wrote the bit about the neckline of a woman's dress being two fingers' breadth from the throat.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 02, 2014, 03:26:53 PM
I clicked on the link.  It's sort of a ruffled bikini.  Floral print.  Feh.  I guess it's okay, but it does seem to show a bit of skin.  I don't think Pius XII would've approved.  Or was it Pius XI?  I can't remember.  Whichever one wrote the bit about the neckline of a woman's dress being two fingers' breadth from the throat.

The Pope in red, Saint Pius XIII (Siri).

Chestertonian

Quote from: erin is nice on May 02, 2014, 03:18:22 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 02, 2014, 02:31:48 PM
Quote from: erin is nice on May 02, 2014, 02:28:28 PM
I am broke but I love this suit (for the ladies to see, 'cause it's got a model in the link obviously) http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-bella-flora-floral-pleated-balconette-bikini-top/id_263740

Why is the link only for the ladies?  :huh:

Presumably the swimsuit meets traditional Catholic modesty requirements.

It meets my requirements, but not necessarily all trads. I mean, I wear jeans every day, and most trads have a problem with that, so I am obviously a reprobate.
clearly.... If you would only sew the jeans into a denim skirt you may have a chance
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

verenaerin

OP, why would you start a thread about what women wear? Wouldn't you think it would be more appropriate to start a thread about modest male swimwear- since that applies to you?

Archer

Quote from: verenaerin on May 02, 2014, 04:20:14 PM
OP, why would you start a thread about what women wear? Wouldn't you think it would be more appropriate to start a thread about modest male swimwear- since that applies to you?

Topics discussing female modesty and racism in the same day? Aren't we blessed. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

verenaerin

Quote from: Archer on May 02, 2014, 04:30:54 PM

I could fix both threads by throwing in some placentas. :P

verenaerin

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Archer

For those of you who are confused, I deleted my original meme in favor of this one.  The picture showed up better.   ;)

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Penelope

Quote from: Archer on May 02, 2014, 04:30:54 PM

There's just something about trads in the spring time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Mono no aware

Well, the OP does not really specify a particular gender, at least not as it is worded.  The title is "Swimming Apparel," which is gender-neutral, and I asked what would be appropriate for "beach-going, modesty-minded Catholics," which again does not single out any specific sex.  The picture I posted is, of course, a picture of women, but that was just a random flip of the coin.  Vintage swimsuits are interesting in both the men's and women's styles.  I could find one of men if you think it would be more equitable.  Basically, I wasn't trying to leave anyone out; I thought this should be a broad discussion (no pun intended).

Here is a picture that includes both men and women:

They appear to be wading in the reflecting pool at the Washington Memorial.

Also as a way of explanation, it might be added that we live in a strange and curious age, where even traditional Catholics are sometimes known to actually switch genders.  Kind of like those African frogs that change their sex in times of an extreme fluctuation in the population's mating demographic.  Humans, of course, can only do this in a cosmetic sense.  I do not foresee such a thing occurring in my own life, but let's face it: predicting the future is a tricky business.

Cesar_Augustus

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 02, 2014, 03:26:53 PM
Quote from: erin is nice on May 02, 2014, 03:18:22 PMIt meets my requirements, but not necessarily all trads. I mean, I wear jeans every day, and most trads have a problem with that, so I am obviously a reprobate.

I have read that the phrase has been attributed to Pius XI by the Cardinal Rufino Santos of Philippines, and in the pamphlets of Father Bernard Kunkel's movement, is attributed to the Cardinal Vicar of Pius XI.

In other websites, is attributed to Cardinal Basilio Pompilj (is he the same Cardinal Vicar of Pius XI?), to the Cardinal Vicar of Pius XII, and to Pius XII himself.

I don't know if that phrase was ever said, or if is binding

Chestertonian

Wonder what people went swimming in in the middle ages... I'm guessing they just swam in the nude?  It also seems like in most of the world, people have no real issue with nude beaches and in most of Europe the Speedo type swimsuit is most common for men. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

verenaerin

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 02, 2014, 07:15:18 PM

Well, the OP does not really specify a particular gender, at least not as it is worded.  The title is "Swimming Apparel," which is gender-neutral, and I asked what would be appropriate for "beach-going, modesty-minded Catholics," which again does not single out any specific sex.  The picture I posted is, of course, a picture of women, but that was just a random flip of the coin.  Vintage swimsuits are interesting in both the men's and women's styles.  I could find one of men if you think it would be more equitable.  Basically, I wasn't trying to leave anyone out; I thought this should be a broad discussion (no pun intended).

Here is a picture that includes both men and women:

They appear to be wading in the reflecting pool at the Washington Memorial.

Also as a way of explanation, it might be added that we live in a strange and curious age, where even traditional Catholics are sometimes known to actually switch genders.  Kind of like those African frogs that change their sex in times of an extreme fluctuation in the population's mating demographic.  Humans, of course, can only do this in a cosmetic sense.  I do not foresee such a thing occurring in my own life, but let's face it: predicting the future is a tricky business.

Ok, you are right, you didn't specifiy sex, everyone just went there and I assumed because of the pic you posted.

AFA men go. I think it is modest that they wear longer shorts, I imagine they all come with a lining. (my son's has netted underwear in his). Also, when not actively swimming, I wish that men would wear shirts.