The Parish Hall > Family Life

How to be poor?

(1/11) > >>

Gardener:
This titular question comes from plain ignorance. It doesn't come from malice or joking. I'm genuinely curious because, due to the vaccine mandates by the pudding eating Commander in Thief, this may be more reality than mental exercise in the near future... the very, very near future.

Background: I've done the poor thing before (well, I think so at least?) but I was single, fresh out of the Army, and my VA/Army retirement was able to pay for a very crappy studio apt ($500/mo at the time), basic food (maybe $200/mo), and I could do odd jobs when and how I wanted; in short, I was poor but not in a state of manic desperation. I didn't have to do food kitchens or contemplate crime. I somehow lived joyfully and very simply on something around <20k a year in the higher cost of living location of Colorado Springs. I even paid off a vehicle by scrimping and saving. I'd randomly force myself to go to bed hungry sometimes to "practice" in case it got worse, though I thought worse meant bad and at the time I thought I had it pretty darn good (which I did, compared to many). But I have no idea how to be that level of poor with kids, a 2021 mortgage, or in an environment that's not permissive to a rapidly unpopular mode of thinking with very little upward or even lateral mobility. It was a different time.

So tell me... if you have been, are, or are intimately connected with assisting or interacting with poor folks in the context of family and much higher cost of living: how do you, or they, do it? I want honest answers. If you are embarrassed by the reality, please PM me.

Tips?

Tricks?

What sort of things were lines in the sand for you and how did you mitigate those perceived needs and the need for crossing the line?

Does the current environment change how you might approach things?

Feel free to add to things I might not have asked.

Thanks.

Heinrich:
That crappy studio had a great view. You are welcome here. The Traditional Catholic homesteading culture is a thing. I can put you in contact with some people. One’s a retired Lite Col, US Army.

red solo cup:
I've been homeless and I've gone without food.  There was a time when if I wanted to eat I had to steal. I can tell you that a stick of butter will go up one sleeve and a box of spaghetti up the other.
First and foremost, hook up with a church. They almost always have an essentials closet where you can get toothpaste, t-paper, pads, clothing etc. Many have some sort of food pantry. Where I live the Methodist Church runs the Food Pantry. They will load you with canned goods, pasta and rice. Even frozen meats . They'll make you a PB and J or even a grilled cheese. Right now we're looking at a tidal wave of homelessness in Central Maine. The United Church of Christ (Congregationalists) has a woman who goes around with a VISA card and will fill your car's gas tank so the people living in their cars in the Walmart parking lot don't freeze at night. Last year the UCC gave out backpacks with food and a tent.
It's so bad they're considering stacking shipping containers in church parking lots. Once a month the USDA gives big boxes of food at the Episcopal Church. Have you heard of Farms to Families? Ivanka Trumps group. Once a month they go to different places and give out food. Info on that is available online. And my parish runs the Soup Kitchen. We don't just provide meals. We also give desserts, fresh produce and all the bread you can carry.
There's a Senior Center where you can get a full meal for 5 bucks. They have computers where you can fill out job applications. Classes to teach you how to balance a checkbook, how not to get scammed and how not to go into debt. When I was in school what they used to call Home Ecce.
Even the homeless shelter which is always full will give you a meal and let you shower. They've been using Covid money to put people up at the Budget Inn.

diaduit:
Practice now.

Try to cut back by 100 dollars per week.  Think longterm and shorterm.

What are your biggest expenses.  When my husband lost his business we were on social welfare while he retrained.  In Ireland SW is not too bad.  So I'll pm you probably tomorrow, what our costs were and how I saved.  I literally looked at every penny and didn't really think the big stuff until I had to.

Mortgage, could you sell your house and buy a site and put in a nice mobile home? Could you half your mortgage doing this?
Can you do interest only mortgage until you get back on your feet?
Can you move in with parents and rent out your home until you get back on your feet.
Do you know an elderly relative that needs looking after and you can live rent free to provide company and help?

Food, only cook dishes that do two to three days.  So lots of stews, bologneses, curries and pack with veg so that you don't miss the smaller portions of meat.  Can you get some chickens for your own eggs and they are wonderful for eating up scraps so you save on the cost of waste.
Look into homemade receipes for deodorants, laundry powder, floor cleaners etc.
Be merciless on tv, phone and broadband expenses.

Pull out excess stuff from around the house and sell on second hand platforms.  I got rid of a lot of stuff and probably covered our private health insurance for that year.
Order your food shopping online for delivery, that way you don't pick up stuff you don't need and you save on fuel for the car. Mine also twice year gives vouchers which I can boost to double value and use against my electricity bill.

Never use the dryer for clothes.  Go back to clothes line.

Try to pay bills in full and not monthly.  So for example car insurance...paying monthly means there is money leaving account once a month, well if you do this for house insurance, health insurance etc....something is always leaving your account. If you can pay in advance while you have money now, I would do that and take that headache out of the way. When your managing your monthly budget then, you're not trying to work around different payment schedules hitting the account.

Let the kids know so they can work with you.

Keep one luxury.  Ours was our holiday mobile in Co Clare which costs us in site fees every year.  I just couldn't part with it. Also I didn't let my health insurance go but I did go to a basic basic plan.

When is the mandate in ....can you save like mad now to tie you over a couple of months?

Do you have a private pension, can you borrow on the strength of that and sure you never know, apocalypse and all that and being locked out of the economy might have benefits  8).

I'll send you my expenses that year and you can factor in USA cost of living etc to see if you can get anything out of it.  However I don't think USA social welfare is as good as here.

Christe Eleison:
Dear Gardener,
I am very sorry for what you are going through  :grouphug: You & your family
are in our prayers! :pray3:

A couple of things, it seems that Montana is the only state to outlaw
vaccination as a requirement for employment.
I am not sure about the TLM situation there.

And the there at least 20 states without a mandate, like South Carolina, Indiana, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Alabama, Tennessee, Nebraska, Texas, South Dakota, Arkansas, Arizona, Iowa, Missouri,
West Virginia, Utah.
The list is in this link:https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6256180976001#sp=show-clips

South Dakota has a conservative Governor, and the FSSP is also there.

I do remember that the people in the Western part of Montana would
attend the TLM at the FSSP in Coeur D' Alene, Idaho. There is also an
SSPX in Post Falls Idaho as well.
Even prior to Benedict XVI Motu Propio, the people in North Idaho have always
had the TLM. The place is packed with Trads & they all help each other out.
Even with employment. I think they have every flavor, with some Sede Chapels as well.
A positive to the area, is that your children will be able to have friends
that have been brought up in the Faith. And in the future, maybe
even a spouse.
And no major type of natural disasters to worry about.
No hurricanes, no tornadoes, etc. You just have a volcano in WA state that
might go off in the future ;). And the place is a hunters dream, you can hunt,
fish, go bike riding, ski, etc. And people are nice, the place is gorgeous!
And it is a RED state!
The Bishop is in Boise, and he supposedly said that the FSSP in North Idaho
is safe, because they do not talk badly about Vatican II  ::), or something
along those lines...
The sad thing is that with so many people flocking to the area, the cost of
housing has gone up, the cost of living has gone up, but it is still much lower
compared to where you are at.  And you do not have to live in Coeur D' Alene
itself, but further away to keep your housing costs down.

It is a conservative area, where homeschooling is done without
having to report to anyone, no testing, no requirements, nothing!
It is super easy.
With a lot of conservative TRADS, conservative Mormons, super
conservative Evangelicals, the area will probably stay conservative
for the near future.
And the people in that area are super strong on their gun rights.
The area has a ton of conservative retired LEO's, military, etc. etc.
And again, they all help each other.

One thing to think about is that due to the Moratorium on rental
properties, now landlords are really strict on who they rent to.
And unless you arrive with a job, it will probably be hard to buy
another property.

So, it is probably advisable for you to stay where you are at, because at least
you have a roof over your head. And maybe you can spend time
looking for employment that can be done from home.
There are a lot of Trads that own businesses, so maybe speak with a couple
of priests that you know, and maybe one of them can put you in contact with
a possible position somewhere (that can also be done from home)

Prior to finding the ideal position, you could apply to tutor students
online, maybe? Maybe Heinrich, knows more about this.

The Kansas area also has a lot of Trad business owners, maybe speak
with the FSSP & SPPX priests there. 

I know that you do not want to live in Texas, but again, contact the
priests there with the FSSP in Dallas, in Tyler, TX. There might be
someone that can employ you to work from home.

The good part of you owning your home where you are at, is that
you can grow a ton of food, veggies, spices. Get some
chicks (like DIADUIT did) for eggs, meat.

I  will continue in another post, I do not want to lose this.
I keep getting logged off  :(

--- Quote from: Gardener on September 12, 2021, 12:02:42 AM ---This titular question comes from plain ignorance. It doesn't come from malice or joking. I'm genuinely curious because, due to the vaccine mandates by the pudding eating Commander in Thief, this may be more reality than mental exercise in the near future... the very, very near future.

Background: I've done the poor thing before (well, I think so at least?) but I was single, fresh out of the Army, and my VA/Army retirement was able to pay for a very crappy studio apt ($500/mo at the time), basic food (maybe $200/mo), and I could do odd jobs when and how I wanted; in short, I was poor but not in a state of manic desperation. I didn't have to do food kitchens or contemplate crime. I somehow lived joyfully and very simply on something around <20k a year in the higher cost of living location of Colorado Springs. I even paid off a vehicle by scrimping and saving. I'd randomly force myself to go to bed hungry sometimes to "practice" in case it got worse, though I thought worse meant bad and at the time I thought I had it pretty darn good (which I did, compared to many). But I have no idea how to be that level of poor with kids, a 2021 mortgage, or in an environment that's not permissive to a rapidly unpopular mode of thinking with very little upward or even lateral mobility. It was a different time.

So tell me... if you have been, are, or are intimately connected with assisting or interacting with poor folks in the context of family and much higher cost of living: how do you, or they, do it? I want honest answers. If you are embarrassed by the reality, please PM me.

Tips?

Tricks?

What sort of things were lines in the sand for you and how did you mitigate those perceived needs and the need for crossing the line?

Does the current environment change how you might approach things?

Feel free to add to things I might not have asked.

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version