The Parish Hall > Family Life

Wearing simple black to Mass

(1/4) > >>

queen.saints:
“This same habit of simplicity and sense of appropriateness have another remarkable effect in old Catholic lands. In Spain and Portugal, women of every rank, young and old, married and unmarried, never attend church save dressed in black and deeply veiled...

The same custom prevailed all over Christendom before the Reformation: one not unlike it rules in many parts of Italy and France, in spite of the sad changes brought about by revolutionary impiety. At any rate, the practice points to the beautiful discipline of the Church in times when she was powerful enough to enforce her own regulations; and the austere simplicity and sentiment of equality which underlie the custom, embody her doctrine and feeling.“

“The Mirror of True Womanhood: A Book of Instruction for Women in the World” by Bernard O'Reilly

I had heard about this from an old Hungarian lady, but she said it was only traditional for older ladies when she was growing up.

Very happy to have read this and think it will make getting ready for Mass/recollection before and after much easier.

Christe Eleison:

--- Quote from: queen.saints on August 30, 2021, 10:01:02 AM ---“This same habit of simplicity and sense of appropriateness have another remarkable effect in old Catholic lands. In Spain and Portugal, women of every rank, young and old, married and unmarried, never attend church save dressed in black and deeply veiled...

The same custom prevailed all over Christendom before the Reformation: one not unlike it rules in many parts of Italy and France, in spite of the sad changes brought about by revolutionary impiety. At any rate, the practice points to the beautiful discipline of the Church in times when she was powerful enough to enforce her own regulations; and the austere simplicity and sentiment of equality which underlie the custom, embody her doctrine and feeling.“

“The Mirror of True Womanhood: A Book of Instruction for Women in the World” by Bernard O'Reilly

I had heard about this from an old Hungarian lady, but she said it was only traditional for older ladies when she was growing up.

Very happy to have read this and think it will make getting ready for Mass/recollection before and after much easier.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, for this thread, Queen Saints! :thumbsup:

When ladies visit the Pope they are required to dress in black head to toe, in addition they should have their head covered. Everything in black. Unless they are a Catholic Royal, like Princess Charlene of Monaco, Queen of Spain, Letizia, they may wear white, “privilege du blanc.” This privilege is for queens of Catholic countries, or in some cases, the wife of the head of state of a Catholic country.

A couple of years ago I saw a video online, that I loved, but I cannot find it now.
It had a title somewhere in the video "I stand by the Catholic Church". In the video,
it showed a procession in Spain somewhere, with ladies wearing black Mantillas, black lace gloves, beautiful black dresses. I believe at the time, I thought it was during Holy Week. But I remember someone telling me that the ladies dress like that during every Catholic procession celebrating a Saint's feast.
The music was very inspiring. People of different beliefs commented on how beautiful the music was. And they kept asking the name of the song.
I tried looking for the video to post it here, but I can't find it.

In part of the video they showed Pope Benedict with a Monstrance. Beautiful old Catholic Churches, etc.

Thanks for the name of the book! :thumbsup:

Lynne:
And it's on archive.org!

https://ia800504.us.archive.org/19/items/TheMirrorOfTrueWomanhood/TheMirrorOfTrueWomanhood_text.pdf

Christe Eleison:

--- Quote from: Lynne on August 30, 2021, 04:49:45 PM ---And it's on archive.org!

https://ia800504.us.archive.org/19/items/TheMirrorOfTrueWomanhood/TheMirrorOfTrueWomanhood_text.pdf

--- End quote ---

Dear LYNNE,
You are the BEST! Thank you!  :thumbsup: Awesome!  :cheer:
Let's see if I can download it! I look forward to reading this!  :)

queen.saints:

--- Quote from: Christe Eleison on August 30, 2021, 02:19:47 PM ---
A couple of years ago I saw a video online, that I loved, but I cannot find it now.
It had a title somewhere in the video "I stand by the Catholic Church". In the video,
it showed a procession in Spain somewhere, with ladies wearing black Mantillas, black lace gloves, beautiful black dresses. I believe at the time, I thought it was during Holy Week. But I remember someone telling me that the ladies dress like that during every Catholic procession celebrating a Saint's feast.

--- End quote ---

That’s so interesting!  :pray3:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version