Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

voxxpopulisuxx

WW Z. Didnt blow me away but it made my wife bury her head in my shoulder a couple times....so for that it was worth all the tea in china.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Othmar

Der Kaiser

Quote from: Othmar on June 26, 2013, 04:14:33 PM
The Great Gatsby.

How was that? I never did see it. I liked the Book and the old movie, but the rap music scared me away. It is set in the jazz age for Pete's sake not a thug ghetto :P
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Hat And Beard

Quote from: Der Kaiser on June 26, 2013, 07:45:58 PM
The Great Gatsby.

How was that? I never did see it. I liked the Book and the old movie, but the rap music scared me away. It is set in the jazz age for Pete's sake not a thug ghetto :P
Last time I checked, jazz came from and thrived in the 'thug ghetto'.

Mono no aware

piabee

Caught the last hour of Rebecca on TCM.

LouisIX

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Othmar

The Great Gatsby.

It was great. I cringed a bit when I first heard the soundtrack, but I could live with it. It's not that noticeable after a while.

I've never read the book, so I can't compare it with that.

totiusque

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on June 23, 2013, 05:12:51 AM
WW Z. Didnt blow me away but it made my wife bury her head in my shoulder a couple times....so for that it was worth all the tea in china.

I just saw this as well, only I was with my brother-in-law instead of my wife, so I had no such relief.  It was 'meh'.  The movie was like a cross between Outbreak/Contagion and 28 Days.  I wouldn't say it was bad, or not worth watching once, but even the recent RomCom zombie movie Warm Bodies was more entertaining to me.  No zombie flick beats Shaun of the Dead, though.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Mono no aware

Quote from: LouisIX on June 27, 2013, 12:52:21 AM
Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on June 26, 2013, 09:57:20 PM

How was this?

Personally, I thought it was fantastic.  But I can definitely see why critics are so divided on it.  There's a dizzying array of intertwining story lines spanning several centuries, one of which is in the (unsubtitled) language of a post-apocalyptic patois, and the running time approaches three hours.  It's demanding and frequently mystifying.  Cinematically, however, it's in league of its own.  It's certainly one of the most impressive and beautiful CGI extravaganzas ever produced (it's a real treat having CGI in the hands of genuine artists like Tom Twyker and the Wachowskis, as opposed to hacks like Zach Snyder and Michael Bay).  The editing that weaves the story lines together is innovative; you would think that rapid-fire cuts between the sequences would only heighten the confusion, but somehow it doesn't.  It's almost symphonic how they all flow together.  I haven't been able to get it out of my head for the past two days.  It will require a second and possibly third viewing, and I'm even curious to read the book.

It isn't, however, Tom Twyker's masterwork.  That remains Perfume.  But the Wachowskis, for their part, have now outdone The Matrix.  IMO.

LouisIX

Sounds like it's definitely worth a watch.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Der Kaiser

Quote from: Hat And Beard on June 26, 2013, 08:16:41 PM
The Great Gatsby.

Uh...no
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

LouisIX

Quote from: Der Kaiser on June 27, 2013, 04:10:34 PM
Quote from: Hat And Beard on June 26, 2013, 08:16:41 PM
The Great Gatsby.

Uh...no

Actually that's quite true, but it still doesn't justify using hip hop music in the movie version of the quintessential 1920s novel.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on June 27, 2013, 11:50:05 AM
Quote from: LouisIX on June 27, 2013, 12:52:21 AM
Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on June 26, 2013, 09:57:20 PM

How was this?

Personally, I thought it was fantastic.  But I can definitely see why critics are so divided on it.  There's a dizzying array of intertwining story lines spanning several centuries, one of which is in the (unsubtitled) language of a post-apocalyptic patois, and the running time approaches three hours.  It's demanding and frequently mystifying.  Cinematically, however, it's in league of its own.  It's certainly one of the most impressive and beautiful CGI extravaganzas ever produced (it's a real treat having CGI in the hands of genuine artists like Tom Twyker and the Wachowskis, as opposed to hacks like Zach Snyder and Michael Bay).  The editing that weaves the story lines together is innovative; you would think that rapid-fire cuts between the sequences would only heighten the confusion, but somehow it doesn't.  It's almost symphonic how they all flow together.  I haven't been able to get it out of my head for the past two days.  It will require a second and possibly third viewing, and I'm even curious to read the book.

It isn't, however, Tom Twyker's masterwork.  That remains Perfume.  But the Wachowskis, for their part, have now outdone The Matrix.  IMO.

Hmmm... I have a free redbox movie code.  Might rent that one, looks good. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."