This is why I have confession PTSD

Started by TandJ, March 11, 2024, 09:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TandJ

Spent hours examining my conscience and went to my local parish for confession and the priest said this

"God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and may I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, ✠ and of the Holy Spirit."

I asked him to say it again and he repeated the same way. I asked him again and showed my face and said "say I absolve you from your sins" please and he mumbled something so I left.

Now I have to wonder if I'm actually absolved

Acolyte

"I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, ✠ and of the Holy Spirit."

You say that's what he said. What's the problem ?
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Greg

I wouldn't worry about it.  Even if he wasn't a priest your confession would still be valid if made in good faith.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

TandJ

Quote from: Acolyte on March 11, 2024, 09:49:58 PM"I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, ✠ and of the Holy Spirit."

He added his own word to the prayer. I bolded the addition. I'm just very picky about things being said correctly without embellishing

Acolyte

Quote from: TandJ on March 11, 2024, 10:16:27 PM
Quote from: Acolyte on March 11, 2024, 09:49:58 PM"I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, ✠ and of the Holy Spirit."

He added his own word to the prayer. I bolded the addition. I'm just very picky about things being said correctly without embellishing

He still didn't add anything to the absolution itself.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Baylee

Welcome to the local Novus Ordo parish.

Do you have a certainly valid traditional Catholic priest in your area or within driving distance (Resistance/SSPX/Sedevacantist)?  I would go to that priest and stop going to the NO. 

Added:  I would also discuss this "confession" with him.  He may advise you to make another general confession.

Greg

Agreed.  Don't sleep with dogs then complain you have fleas.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

TandJ

Quote from: Baylee on March 12, 2024, 05:10:33 AMWelcome to the local Novus Ordo parish.

Do you have a certainly valid traditional Catholic priest in your area or within driving distance (Resistance/SSPX/Sedevacantist)?  I would go to that priest and stop going to the NO. 

Added:  I would also discuss this "confession" with him.  He may advise you to make another general confession.

Besides the absolution what is wrong with my confession?

Baylee

Quote from: TandJ on March 12, 2024, 07:16:01 AM
Quote from: Baylee on March 12, 2024, 05:10:33 AMWelcome to the local Novus Ordo parish.

Besides the absolution what is wrong with my confession?

Absolutely nothing wrong with your confession.  I am speaking of the absolution. Sorry...I can see how that might have been misinterpreted.

I think a Traditional Catholic priest would probably advise you to do your general confession with him after learning of the so-called Novus Ordo "absolution".  Even after you corrected him, he refused to say the right words.

What a farce.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

He changed it from the first-person present tense to the first-person subjunctive tense.

Many people might say, "May I earn a million dollars per year," but very few of them can say, "I earn a million dollars per year."

OP:  You will never get a definitive answer about whether the absolution was valid.  If you don't find yourself at peace and want certainty, then find a TLM parish and make your confession there.
this page left intentionally blank

TandJ

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on March 12, 2024, 09:16:04 AM

He changed it from the first-person present tense to the first-person subjunctive tense.

Many people might say, "May I earn a million dollars per year," but very few of them can say, "I earn a million dollars per year."

OP:  You will never get a definitive answer about whether the absolution was valid.  If you don't find yourself at peace and want certainty, then find a TLM parish and make your confession there.

Well that's distressing that there's nobody who can figure out things like this in regards to validity

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: TandJ on March 12, 2024, 09:24:59 AMWell that's distressing that there's nobody who can figure out things like this in regards to validity

There is a Vatican office whose job is to answer questions regarding the validity of dubious sacramental forms, but it is not likely that you would be able to get their attention.

Melkite

Quote from: TandJ on March 12, 2024, 09:24:59 AMWell that's distressing that there's nobody who can figure out things like this in regards to validity

It was almost certainly valid.  The question of importance is whether it was licit.  Even if it wasn't, the culpability is on him, not you.  If your contrition was true, and you attempted to the best of your abilities to make a good confession, God is not going to withhold the absolution from you on a technicality that isn't even your fault.

Baylee

Quote from: Melkite on March 12, 2024, 12:45:26 PM

It was almost certainly valid.  The question of importance is whether it was licit.  Even if it wasn't, the culpability is on him, not you.  If your contrition was true, and you attempted to the best of your abilities to make a good confession, God is not going to withhold the absolution from you on a technicality that isn't even your fault.

The problem is the form of absolution is not "May I absolve......", but "I absolve.....".  One wouldn't say that a person is almost certainly validly baptized if the form used was "May I baptize you..." rather than "I baptize you.....".

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Melkite on March 12, 2024, 12:45:26 PMIt was almost certainly valid.

And on what basis do you make this judgment?

Quote from: Melkite on March 12, 2024, 12:45:26 PMThe question of importance is whether it was licit.

Wrong.  A man would be culpable for receiving a sacrament illicitly only if that man knew that it would be illicit and received it anyway, like receiving one's sacraments from one of the Eastern Orthodox churches.

Quote from: Melkite on March 12, 2024, 12:45:26 PMEven if it wasn't, the culpability is on him, not you.  If your contrition was true, and you attempted to the best of your abilities to make a good confession, God is not going to withhold the absolution from you on a technicality that isn't even your fault.

Why rely on subjective assurances when one could have objective certainty simply by going to a priest who won't mangle the formula?