Anniversary of the forum approaching

Started by Jayne, December 10, 2021, 01:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

This forum was opened to the public toward the end of December in 2012.  We are soon approaching its ninth  anniversary. 

Kaesekopf periodically asks whether it is worth keeping this forum running (as I recall, when it is time to pay the server fees).  My answer to this question is that, if this forum cannot be operated as the moderated forum it was founded to be, then it should not be kept going at all.

Some months ago, KK posted his thoughts on the forum's purpose.  He wrote that it is "to promote a Catholic community in these trying times, in these times of emergency, and it is to promote the growth and practice of the Faith for posters and lurkers."  How do we measure up to this?  I would say that we are failing.

There are multiple high-frequency posters filling the forum with nastiness and/or vulgarity. This does not promote the growth and practice of the faith. There are also people who make it very clear that the "community" here does not include those who have received the Covid vaccine and that we are not welcome. The discussions here are dominated by insults and personal attacks.

I spent years in which my health limited by ability to get out much and I depended on SD for many of my social and spiritual needs.  I am grateful for how it helped me then, but I do not see how it could fill that role for anyone now.  The overall tone of this forum is horrible.

There will always be people who do not "play well with others"  and they were kept under control when the forum was moderated.  Now they are the most noticeable element of the forum.  Their visibility means that the new people who join tend to be those who like a mean-spirited free-for-all, rather than those interested in spiritual encouragement and edification.  So the problem will only get worse unless something is done about it. 

This forum was meant to be moderated by a team, not one person on his own.  And now that one moderator should be focussed on his personal life, not "herding cats" here.   This is not a healthy situation.   I ask that we either restore moderation or pull the plug.

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

diaduit

There are multiple high-frequency posters filling the forum with nastiness and/or vulgarity....

One of those posters, (I am sure you include me in that)  I can guess you are talking about, was very anti Irish and we clashed and yet it was a suggestion by him about the novena of the Sorrowful mysteries that had a huge impact on me and my prayer life. 
It is not for you to finger wag and if you don't like the forum then leave if you wish but why have you this incessant need to keep stirring.
I have left other Catholic forums as I didn't like the tone or atmosphere...its simple.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: diaduit on December 10, 2021, 01:56:45 PM
It is not for you to finger wag

Is it finger wagging to ask for the forum rules to be enforced?
this page left intentionally blank

Christina_S

You make a few good points, Jayne. I have to agree that the forum is a much more pleasant place when moderated. It was a good reminder of which behaviours were unacceptable when a new post came up in the banned members thread. Sure, there were the few usual suspects who got the the ruler a lot, but it was certainly a space where lurkers or quieter members didn't have to be afraid of So-and-so cussing them out or going after them with ad hominem attacks. I do miss that aspect.

That being said, there are still limited aspects of the forum that I find edifying. The opinions of certain esteemed posters like Miriam or Michael Wilson are always worth reading, in my books. Other posters provide me with reasons not to join certain factions within the Church.

What would it take to keep the place moderated? Just wondering in terms of hours/effort/number of people.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Jayne

There are multiple high-frequency posters filling the forum with nastiness and/or vulgarity....

One of those posters, (I am sure you include me in that)  I can guess you are talking about, was very anti Irish and we clashed and yet it was a suggestion by him about the novena of the Sorrowful mysteries that had a huge impact on me and my prayer life. 

For the record, this incident was not in my mind when I posted.  But perhaps you should consider how you feel about anti-Irish comments before you tell a Catholic of Jewish background that she can't help being sneaky because it is in her blood (especially when the only "evidence" of sneakiness is posting in agreement with a majority opinion on the forum).  I suggest you try doing unto other as you would like done unto you.:wag:

Note that the above paragraph is an example of finger-wagging, unlike the OP.

mikemac

Quote from: Christina_S on December 10, 2021, 02:57:12 PM

What would it take to keep the place moderated? Just wondering in terms of hours/effort/number of people.

Even if we had just one moderator I think it would make a big difference.  I think the moderator would need to log in once a day.  A lot of members are doing that right now anyway.  We have no moderation right now.  Even just the fact that we have a moderator might change things around here.

Edit to add;
We need someone that's not afraid to "punch a heretic".  ;)
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

GiftOfGod

Other posters provide me with reasons not to join certain factions within the Church.
You provide me with a reason to not become an indulterer/R&Rer.
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Jayne

When the forum first started there was a team of 5 people.  That seemed to work well. 

Even though the official number of members is higher now, the activity is way down.  Number of posts over the last few years is around a third of what it was in the first years of the forum.  So we probably don't need as many moderators.

Edit to add: Here are the stats.  (Sorry I can't figure out how to format it.)First column is new topics, second is new posts:

2021   1889         34601   
2020   1798         32427   
2019   1821         23302   
2018   2050             37515   
2017   2808             68443   
2016   3159             72613   
2015   3399            76703   
2014   4794            111110   
2013   4777             96531   

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Jayne on December 10, 2021, 01:32:22 PM
This forum was opened to the public toward the end of December in 2012.  We are soon approaching its ninth  anniversary. 

Kaesekopf periodically asks whether it is worth keeping this forum running (as I recall, when it is time to pay the server fees).  My answer to this question is that, if this forum cannot be operated as the moderated forum it was founded to be, then it should not be kept going at all.

Some months ago, KK posted his thoughts on the forum's purpose.  He wrote that it is "to promote a Catholic community in these trying times, in these times of emergency, and it is to promote the growth and practice of the Faith for posters and lurkers."  How do we measure up to this?  I would say that we are failing.

There are multiple high-frequency posters filling the forum with nastiness and/or vulgarity. This does not promote the growth and practice of the faith. There are also people who make it very clear that the "community" here does not include those who have received the Covid vaccine and that we are not welcome. The discussions here are dominated by insults and personal attacks.

I spent years in which my health limited by ability to get out much and I depended on SD for many of my social and spiritual needs.  I am grateful for how it helped me then, but I do not see how it could fill that role for anyone now.  The overall tone of this forum is horrible.

There will always be people who do not "play well with others"  and they were kept under control when the forum was moderated.  Now they are the most noticeable element of the forum.  Their visibility means that the new people who join tend to be those who like a mean-spirited free-for-all, rather than those interested in spiritual encouragement and edification.  So the problem will only get worse unless something is done about it. 

This forum was meant to be moderated by a team, not one person on his own.  And now that one moderator should be focussed on his personal life, not "herding cats" here.   This is not a healthy situation.   I ask that we either restore moderation or pull the plug.

You are such a virtue signaling Jew it makes me sick.

Pull the plug? Literally nothing is forcing you to be here.

Its easy af to start a forum, or a discord channel or whatever. If you ain't happy about it than sod off and start your own.

Jews man, not even once
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

LausTibiChriste

It is not for you to finger wag and if you don't like the forum then leave if you wish but why have you this incessant need to keep stirring.
I have left other Catholic forums as I didn't like the tone or atmosphere...its simple.
In my defense, not that it's much at all, my anti-Irishness has softened considerably.

Especially once Ive learned how heavily Jewish the British echelon is,, and from that, what they did to the Irish.

Im glad OLOS helped you, She is the bomb :)

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Jayne on December 10, 2021, 03:17:30 PM

When the forum first started there was a team of 5 people.  That seemed to work well. 

Even though the official number of members is higher now, the activity is way down.  Number of posts over the last few years is around a third of what it was in the first years of the forum.  So we probably don't need as many moderators.

Edit to add: Here are the stats.  (Sorry I can't figure out how to format it.)First column is new topics, second is new posts:

2021   1889         34601   
2020   1798         32427   
2019   1821         23302   
2018   2050             37515   
2017   2808             68443   
2016   3159             72613   
2015   3399            76703   
2014   4794            111110   
2013   4777             96531

Here's an idea.. How about you go start your own forum.

What's stopping you?

- MaximGun

Jayne

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 10, 2021, 04:07:09 PM

What's stopping you?

Since starting a forum is so easy, perhaps you could start one in which your uncouth behaviour is permitted.  Why post on a forum where you have no intention of following the rules?  It is not fair to all the posters who do follow them and perhaps even joined the forum because they agree with these rules.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Jayne on December 10, 2021, 04:16:23 PM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 10, 2021, 04:07:09 PM

What's stopping you?

Since starting a forum is so easy, perhaps you could start one in which your uncouth behaviour is permitted.  Why post on a forum where you have no intention of following the rules?  It is not fair to all the posters who do follow them and perhaps even joined the forum because they agree with these rules.

Go start your own, Juden.

I've had my bans for my behavior accordingly. You say you appreciate all KK has done then start this thread badmouthing him?

You people are an absolute cancer. You started this entire thread as a virtue signaling + shit on KK-fest.

Im happy with this forum. You're not. Therefore it's up to you to go start your own. KK has no need for your bullshit.

Honestly, I'm starting to understand why pro-Nazism is so rampant in the Trad world these days

- MaximGun

queen.saints

Whatever happened to the other forum that started up last year after Hildegarde messaged everyone and then disappeared? It was so classy and I've always wondered if they made it a private forum and I didn't make the cut.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

queen.saints

Hildegarde, if you're reading this, I promise not to talk too much, please let me join your club.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.