Is "Going against the grain" on a forum an act of bravery?

Started by The Curt Jester, May 27, 2021, 09:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Curt Jester

So recently it was brought up that taking the minority stance on this forum is brave, courageous, venture-into-Mordor heroic.  Given the recent trend toward starting polls, I thought I'd add another one so I don't derail the thread from which this topic sprang forth.

My own opinion on this is that there is very little courage whatsoever in taking an opinion that is at odds with most of the posters. Why?  The forum is anonymous.  While one may know or have met a few of the people here, the vast majority are unknown (and will remain so).  It's not like disagreeing is going to result in being beaten by a stick, drowned in a bathtub, or incarcerated in a cell full of baboons.  The worst that happens is that someone types a few pages of angrily-arranged symbols (otherwise known as letters) which might make the veins in your neck pop out.  And if that gets old, there's the magic trick of signing out from the forum, departing for a few hours, days, weeks, or light years and waiting for the waters to calm.  Odds are when you return, people will have moved on to new arguments (or new versions of old arguments) and your previous posts will have been forgotten.

Where is the bravery?
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Insanis

Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 27, 2021, 09:32:15 PM
So recently it was brought up that taking the minority stance on this forum is brave, courageous, venture-into-Mordor heroic.  Given the recent trend toward starting polls, I thought I'd add another one so I don't derail the thread from which this topic sprang forth.
Do people not use that function often? I started three and added one to a thread. That is not really a trend. That is someone using the obvious functions of the forum.

I've never been a trendsetter, and I don't want to be.

QuoteMy own opinion on this is that there is very little courage whatsoever in taking an opinion that is at odds with most of the posters. Why?  The forum is anonymous.

Where is the bravery?

I wouldn't say it is bravery per se, but it should only be done if one is willing to accept the responses one will get. If one wants wholesome informative responses in one's "New replies to your posts", one should not go against the prevailing opinion.

However, in my view, forums are for discussions, so finding contrary opinions that are not in the realm of heresy or blasphemy is usually a good thing to help explore a topic.

For example, my recent thread about rosary centres was a reflection on my use of the same two types of centers for almost everything I make unless asked otherwise. The one I prefer is a medal from 1830, and a lot of Rosaries were made before then and other people would have different preferences.

I want to know what the majority of others think because I don't know.

(And I don't think anybody is going to find the Medal of the Immaculate Conception controversial.)

On the other hand, I don't want to deal with the sort of responses that starting a thread about my view on Vatican II might get.

(When I joined this forum, I had no intention of getting involved with Vatican II or Sede* debates and to focus on devotions, social interactions, and other things like that...little did I know that certain devotions had naysayers that I never suspected could exist in any Catholic.)

It is not brave in itself, but to be willing to deal with an onslaught of attacks, insults, and arguments against oneself is a form of "Internet bravery" if one is able to keep oneself composed in one's responses.

EDIT: I voted for the middle one with the lemon juice, because the last one seemed to equate having a different view as being automatically a willingness to argue, and I don't think that is true.

EDIT 2: Going against the forum is foolish usually (trolling). Pro-Windows posts on a Linux forum would be trolling. Going against common opinions within the forum, such as file system choices on the same Linux forum might be brave in a way if one is going to get some heat for it and one wants to test oneself in responding to it, but otherwise, it is just what discussion forums are for.

EDIT 3: EXT4 all the way. Down with Btrfs!

maryslittlegarden

You get points for the Eowyn/Nazgul reference in the poll :):):)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Insanis

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on May 28, 2021, 07:21:52 AM

I deduct points for failing to mention Merry, who was most important than Eowyn in that confrontation. Merry was not a Man. He was a Hobbit. And he had a blade that was important in itself (given to him by Tom).

That is what was important.

The Curt Jester

Quote from: Insanis on May 28, 2021, 07:37:08 AM

I deduct points for failing to mention Merry, who was most important than Eowyn in that confrontation. Merry was not a Man. He was a Hobbit. And he had a blade that was important in itself (given to him by Tom).

That's why Merry was not included.  He had too much chance with an overpowered sword.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Insanis

Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 28, 2021, 07:43:40 AM
Quote from: Insanis on May 28, 2021, 07:37:08 AM

That's why Merry was not included.  He had too much chance with an overpowered sword.

It was not overpowered. The Daggers of Westernesse were one of the few blades that could even touch him. Without that, no other weapon could be used.

The fact he had one and was able to use it is not being overpowered. He also did it at great risk to himself.

Melkor

It was kinda OP. It had powerful runes that were the bane of wraiths. Just sayin....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on May 28, 2021, 08:21:38 AM
It was kinda OP. It had powerful runes that were the bane of wraiths. Just sayin....

Yes, but compared to other weapons, which were ineffective, and the fact it was hazardous to the wielder makes it less powerful than a normal sword/dagger fighting normal beings.

It requires extremely close proximity, and could only break a spell.

If it caused instant death, I agree, it would be over powered, but that is not what it did.

You have entities in your title.

Melkor

How is it hazardous to the one who wields it?

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Melkor on May 28, 2021, 08:29:26 AM

Almost got his arm blown off by the dang thing!
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on May 28, 2021, 08:29:26 AM

Don't get casual on me here.

Entities in the titles again.

Melkor

True, but if we consider the fact that the sword was probably not made to take on the likes of the Witch King, it seems to have been poor judgment on Merry's part (valiant but foolish).

Melkor

Please explain the 'entities' in the title thing you keep saying.

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on May 28, 2021, 10:21:33 AM
True, but if we consider the fact that the sword was probably not made to take on the likes of the Witch King, it seems to have been poor judgment on Merry's part (valiant but foolish).

Well, desperate judgement. When the chips are down, and the salsa has run out, you do what you can while you can. It wasn't like they had expectations of walking out alive after. What fear of death can their be when you expect it?

And I'd call it a dagger.

Melkor

It was a dagger to men, but a sword to Merry.