Is "Going against the grain" on a forum an act of bravery?

Started by The Curt Jester, May 27, 2021, 09:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 27, 2021, 09:32:15 PM
So recently it was brought up that taking the minority stance on this forum is brave, courageous, venture-into-Mordor heroic.

I am wondering if you are referring to my post in which I wrote:
QuoteSince there are multiple people on this forum quite vocally opposed to the vaccine, it takes a willingness to go against prevailing opinion to post about receiving it.  I have made a point to thank all the posts in which forum members have admitted doing so.  Every time someone stands up to the group-think it makes it a bit easier for those who come after not to be intimidated.

This is the closest thing that I have noticed to claiming that it is brave to take a minority stance.  Did I overlook something?  If you are referring to my post, then you are greatly exaggerating.

It is usually unpleasant to deal with being insulted, attacked, and called names.  Many people prefer to avoid this.  This reaction is more akin to avoiding stepping in dog poop than to actual fear.  Other people prefer to confront unpleasant posting.  This is more a matter of temperament that bravery.  It is characteristic of the choleric personality,

And besides, one does not simply walk into Mordor.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on May 28, 2021, 10:26:22 AM
It was a dagger to men, but a sword to Merry.

As a weapon, it had the reach of a dagger. The fact Merry was small doesn't change this (and in fact, shortens its reach even more).

The dagger/sword distinction can matter for carrying it, but the real distinction comes from the other end I think.

I think the real question is Is going after a powerful Wraith with a dagger an act of bravery?.

The Curt Jester

Quote from: Jayne on May 28, 2021, 10:27:15 AM
I am wondering if you are referring to my post in which I wrote:
QuoteSince there are multiple people on this forum quite vocally opposed to the vaccine, it takes a willingness to go against prevailing opinion to post about receiving it.  I have made a point to thank all the posts in which forum members have admitted doing so.  Every time someone stands up to the group-think it makes it a bit easier for those who come after not to be intimidated.

It was part of the inspiration for this thread, along with some reactions to your post, however it is not a conclusion that I came to based entirely on your post, nor do I interpret your post to mean that.  It's a thought that has been in my head basically since the time I ever began posting on a forum and I have seen instances of the idea pop up here and there, though usually not directly.  Sometimes it's implied in this manner:  "You're a coward if you stop replying to me" . 

Plus, I wanted to see if the reference to Lord of the Rings would derail the thread.  I should be a betting person because I was correct.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Insanis

Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 29, 2021, 09:09:39 AM
Sometimes it's implied in this manner:  "You're a coward if you stop replying to me" . 

I think I got a few of those in my new replies to my posts.

It is silly.

I might as well respond "if you don't give me $50 now, you are a poo-poo head".

QuotePlus, I wanted to see if the reference to Lord of the Rings would derail the thread.  I should be a betting person because I was correct.

Every thread here gets derailed. If you only bet on sure things, you'll never win anything.

Jayne

Plus, I wanted to see if the reference to Lord of the Rings would derail the thread.  I should be a betting person because I was correct.

Derailing a thread on Suscipe Domine is considerably easier than walking into Mordor.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Insanis

Quote from: Jayne on May 29, 2021, 10:42:43 AM

Derailing a thread on Suscipe Domine is considerably easier than walking into Mordor.

Technically, one can get carried into Mordor while unconscious, so getting into Mordor does not seem to be that difficult in itself.

All evidence points to: Mordor is very easy to get into.

Bernadette

I've never seen going against popular belief or opinion as particularly brave. It is what it is. I've done it on more than one occasion with no ill effects.
My Lord and my God.