The Parish Hall > The Coffee Pot

Any good Catholic Facebook groups?

(1/5) > >>

Bernadette:
Can anyone recommend any? Thanks!

Insanis:
Facebook is evil. If you aren't using it to make money, stay away from it.

Also, Zuckerberg stated what he thinks about people who use Facebook, and it is clear that if you want a platform for something good (Catholic groups), relying on Facebook is a bad idea.

It is like a forum, but run by anti-morality sociopaths for profit, and trying to get the whole world to participate.

A Catholic group on a platform designed to be used to gather data about users and push marketing to them and run by anti-Catholic fanatics is on a very shaky foundation.

Disclaimer: this advice is made with the best intentions using the facts of Facebook and their Leader, and caution about the nature of the platform by itself, but it does not mean it is moral advice. Facebook is just a bad idea unless you are profiting from it, which is what it was designed to do (before it was about rating the attractiveness of females against their knowledge or will).

Jayne:

--- Quote from: Insanis on May 23, 2021, 02:20:21 PM ---Facebook is evil. If you aren't using it to make money, stay away from it.

Also, Zuckerberg stated what he thinks about people who use Facebook, and it is clear that if you want a platform for something good (Catholic groups), relying on Facebook is a bad idea.

It is like a forum, but run by anti-morality sociopaths for profit, and trying to get the whole world to participate.

A Catholic group on a platform designed to be used to gather data about users and push marketing to them and run by anti-Catholic fanatics is on a very shaky foundation.

Disclaimer: this advice is made with the best intentions using the facts of Facebook and their Leader, and caution about the nature of the platform by itself, but it does not mean it is moral advice. Facebook is just a bad idea unless you are profiting from it, which is what it was designed to do (before it was about rating the attractiveness of females against their knowledge or will).

--- End quote ---

I agree that Facebook itself is not good, even if a specific group on it is relatively OK.  I have seen various Catholic and conservative groups migrating away from it over recent years. 

Are people here using other platforms?  What is involved in joining?

Insanis:

--- Quote from: Jayne on May 23, 2021, 02:38:46 PM ---I agree that Facebook itself is not good, even if a specific group on it is relatively OK.  I have seen various Catholic and conservative groups migrating away from it over recent years. 

Are people here using other platforms?  What is involved in joining?

--- End quote ---

I would recommend you look off a platform. These platforms aimed to be walled gardens, and to make money from data mining, intrusions of privacy, and marketing.

Find a local group, and then, if they have an online meeting place, join it. Don't do it the other way around.

Privately run forums are what you want actually. These monolithic platforms are the worst possible form of a forum. Don't rely on them. They'll abuse their power.

That is why they are free: make an account, give them access, and then get hooked.

andy:

--- Quote from: Insanis on May 23, 2021, 02:20:21 PM ---Facebook is evil.

--- End quote ---

This is a blatant lie. Facebook by itself, as a platform, as a technology is a good thing.

Are you afraid to reveal your real identity?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version