The Pardon Crucifix Indulgences

Started by Vetus Ordo, May 13, 2021, 03:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

Does anyone have one of these?

The Pardon Crucifix Indulgences

The Pardon Crucifix is the only crucifix that gives indulgences for carrying it or kissing it. These indulgences were declared by Pope St. Pius X in 1905, and were approved in the pardon of the living and the souls in Purgatory in 1907.

This crucifix makes this a powerful spiritual assault weapon against evil forces attempting to separate us from the love of God and His will for our lives.

These indulgences have been declared upon the Pardon Crucifix by Pope St. Pius X in 1905, and have been approved in the pardon of the living and the souls in Purgatory in 1907 (no longer mentioned in the new enchiridion).

Below are the indulgences originally attached to the Pardon Crucifix:

1. Whoever carries on his person the Pardon Crucifix, may thereby gain an indulgence.

2. For devoutly kissing the Crucifix, an indulgence is gained.

3. Whoever says one of the following invocations before this crucifix may gain each time an indulgence: "Our Father who art in heaven, forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." "I beg the Blessed Virgin Mary to pray to the Lord our God for me."

4. Whoever, habitually devout to this Crucifix, will fulfill the necessary conditions of Confession and Holy Communion may gain a Plenary Indulgence on the following feasts: On the feasts of the Five Wounds of our Lord, the Invention of the Holy Cross, the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, the Immaculate Conception, and the Seven Sorrows (Dolors) of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

5. Whoever, at the moment of death, fortified with the Sacraments of the Church, or contrite of heart, in the supposition of being unable to receive them, will kiss this Crucifix and ask pardon of God for his sins, and pardon his neighbor, will gain a Plenary Indulgence.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

MundaCorMeum

I do!  It's bronze, and I love it.  Probably one of my favorite devotions.  I learned about it maybe 5 years ago.  I liked it so much, I copied the promises by hand into my prayer journal. I especially like that the requirement is to simply "carry it on your person".  So, I can keep it in my pocket or hold it or wear it, depending on my need at any given moment.

ETA: thank you for the reminder!  It is in my bathroom drawer at the moment.  I set it in there awhile back, and have neglected to carry it since.  I need to go get it again.

Jacob

It is the crucifix of the Rosary Gardener kindly sent me awhile ago.  Thank you, Gardener!
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Elizabeth.2

Isn't it just a wonderful Crucifix. I just got a new one.  Really need a good way to keep it on.

Melkor

Quote from: Jacob on May 13, 2021, 07:26:16 PM
It is the crucifix of the Rosary Gardener kindly sent me awhile ago.  Thank you, Gardener!

Yes I have that Crucifix on my WW1 replica Rosary!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Elizabeth.2

You brothers in Christ  :beer:

mikemac

Yeah I thought that was a pretty cool idea that Gardener come up with.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Michael Wilson

Thank you V.O. For posting this; I started carrying the Crucifix since you posted this. Here is some more information that I found while researching the subject.
https://www.thecompassnews.org/2017/03/where-its-all-spelled-out/
QuoteBy Patricia Kasten | The Compass
March 31, 2017
Most of us are used to seeing crucifixes bearing the inscription "INRI" above Jesus' head as he hangs on the cross. INRI stands for "Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews." John's Gospel tells us that this is what Pontius Pilate had written, in three languages (Hebrew, Latin and Greek), and placed on Jesus cross (Jn 19:20). Since Latin has no letter for "J," the abbreviation became INRI.

However, there is one crucifix that does not bear an abbreviation, but the entire Latin inscription: "Iesus Nazarenus, Rex Iudaeorum." It is called the Pardon Crucifix. It first came to prominence at the 1904 Marian Congress in Rome.

On June 1, 1905, Pope Pius X approved the granting of indulgences for those who use a Pardon crucifix. (A plenary, or full, indulgence is the remission of any temporal punishment, after death, that is due to a person for sins that have been forgiven.) To gain the indulgence, the Pardon Crucifix should be used in the following ways:

Devoutly kissing the crucifix;
    Saying one of these invocations before this crucifix: "Our Father who art in heaven, forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us;" or "I beg the Blessed Virgin Mary to pray to the Lord our God for me;"
    Using the crucifix on the feasts of the Five Wounds of our Lord, the Invention of the Holy Cross, the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, the Immaculate Conception, and the memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows (the Seven Dolors);
    At the time of death, kissing the crucifix and asking pardon of God for one's sins, and pardoning one's neighbor.

As with all devotions connected to an indulgence, the usual requirements set by the church for all plenary indulgences also apply:
    Reception of the sacrament of reconciliation;
    Reception of the Eucharist and;
    Prayer for the intentions of the pope.  (This prayer requirement is fully satisfied by at least one recitation of the Our Father and the Hail Mary prayers.)

Later in the year 1905, on Nov. 14, Pope Pius X extended the indulgence so it could be used for souls in purgatory as well.

While the front of the Pardon Crucifix — outside of the Latin inscription — is a familiar crucifix, the reverse differs from others.

In the center is an image of the Sacred Heart, along with the words: "Behold this heart which has so loved men" on the vertical beam. These are the words St. Margaret Mary Alacoque said she heard Jesus speak to her in a vision of his Sacred Heart in 1675. St. Margaret Mary promoted devotion to the Sacred Heart. (The feast of the Sacred Heart is now "a moveable feast" which means its celebration depends on the date of Easter — it falls on Friday, 19 days after the feast of Pentecost. This year, the Solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus is on June 23.)
    On the crossbeam are the words "Father, forgive them."
    At the base of the cross' shape are a star and a stylized "M" to honor the Blessed Mother, who stood at the foot of Christ's cross.

Some of the feasts mentioned above as related to the Pardon Crucifix are familiar to us, while others may not be, since they are not as prominent as they were before the revision of the church's calendar following the reforms after the Second Vatican Council.

The more familiar feasts may be the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (Sept. 14), the Memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows (Sept. 15) and the feast of the Immaculate Conception (Dec. 8).

Less familiar are the feasts of the Five Wounds of Our Lord, which used to be celebrated on the Fourth Friday of Lent and the Invention (or the Finding of) the Holy Cross, which was marked on May 3 at one time.

Sometimes, one will find what is called a "Three-Way Pardon Crucifix," which includes the Pardon Crucifix, along with a St. Benedict Medal and a Miraculous Medal. Both of these medals are slightly older than the Pardon Crucifix.

The St. Benedict Medal honors the patron of Europe and founder of the Benedictine Order. St. Benedict of Nursia, whose feast day is July 11, died in 547 A.D. While he lived centuries ago, this medal in his honor dates only to 1880. It was cast as a jubilee medal in honor the 1,400th anniversary of his birth in 480 A.D. Benedict founded the Abbey of Montecassino in Italy, in the year 529.

His medal is full of symbolism, including the cross on the reverse. That cross is surrounded by many letters, which are acronyms for several Latin phrases, including CSSML: "Crux sacra sit mihi lux" (Holy Cross, be my light)" on the upright beam of the cross.

The Miraculous Medal dates to July 18, 1830, when a novice in the Daughters of Charity in Paris experienced the first of three reported visions of the Blessed Mother. St. Catherine Laboure said Mary asked that a medal be struck showing her, standing on a globe, crushing a serpent. On the medal, rays of light come from Mary's outstretched hands and the medal is ringed with the words: "O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee." On the back of the medal is an "M" entwined with a cross and surrounded by 12 stars. Beneath this monogram are symbols of the Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

The Pardon Cross and the two medals all serve the same purpose — to remind us of the love of God revealed to us in Christ.

Sources: Vatican.va; ewtn.com; rorate-caeli.blogspot; Catechism of the Catholic Church; "Modern Catholic Dictionary"; "Our Sunday Visitor's Encyclopedia of Catholic History"; "Dictionary of Catholic Devotions"; "Why Do Catholics Do That?"; "The Catholic Encyclopedia"; "The Modern Catholic Encyclopedia"; "Encyclopedia of Catholic Devotions and Practices"; courageouspriest.com; romancatholicman.com; St. John's Abbey in Paterson, N.J. at osb.org; "The Life of St. Benedict"; and e-benedictine.com.

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

mikemac

Nice.  The site called them Combat Rosaries but if I can remember correctly when Gardener did that most of the choices were Rosaries with Pardon Crucifixes with a couple of them having St. Benedict Crucifixes.  Now I feel like I need to get a Pardon Crucifix.
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

Source

Insanis

I used to make Rosaries and chaplets of all kinds quite a lot. I have two I made for someone who wanted samples, but I ended up owning them (weird situation, but they knew of my previous work and wanted me to make some samples for their bookstore, and they bought the beads I said I would need, so I made them, and after a while, I paid for the beads they bought and took them back after they didn't get back to me on what they wanted going forward, and that bookstore eventually mutated in another direction anyway).

If anybody wants a nice Rosary with this crucifix, I can make that happen (and you get to pick the center too).

If anybody wants a Memento Mori Rosary, that is what they are now.

Insanis

Here are the images of a Rosary I made with this crucifix just now:

https://imgur.com/a/4IfXWPI

Attaching the images didn't work, so I'll be using Imgur temporarily.

EDIT: Attachments working. I added the upcoming silver rosary parts with a solid sterling silver Pardon Crucifix.

EDIT 2: Temporary imgur link for the silver parts: https://imgur.com/a/y8WsT3n (lighting and focus was tricky)

mikemac

Source

Insanis