Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949).  A perfectly-executed dark comedy, which the British do better than most.  The tenor of it slightly reminded me of The Ruling Class (1972), with Peter O'Toole.  This one has Alec Guinness in eight different roles (probably best as a cloddish Anglican vicar) as well as the archaic inclusion of the word "nigger" in the rhyme of "eeny, meeny, miny, mo."  It will doubtless be heaped onto the flames during the coming regime.

Greg

The Eagle has Landed.  High Quality whole film

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Stu Cool

Quote from: Greg on July 06, 2020, 07:54:09 AM
The Eagle has Landed.  High Quality whole film

Good movie.  I have it as I also have the book.  I'm not much of a fiction guy but I love WW2 history and have read that book several times.  There is a book sequel which wasn't too bad either.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 05, 2020, 07:33:35 AM
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949).  A perfectly-executed dark comedy, which the British do better than most.  The tenor of it slightly reminded me of The Ruling Class (1972), with Peter O'Toole.  This one has Alec Guinness in eight different roles (probably best as a cloddish Anglican vicar) as well as the archaic inclusion of the word "nigger" in the rhyme of "eeny, meeny, miny, mo."  It will doubtless be heaped onto the flames during the coming regime.

That is one of my favorite movies
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

red solo cup

The Good Liar with Helen Mirren. Very good.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Mono no aware

The Ladykillers (1955), another great Ealing Studios comedy.  I had added these to my Netflix queue back in 2017 when Peter Hitchens included a list of his favorite movies in a blog post against Dunkirk.  He has good taste in film, which was already evident in that he hated Dunkirk (2017) and liked Ida (2013).  Two of my own favorites, Blader Runner and Groundhog Day, also made his cut.  And I firmly agree with him that cinema has been in decline since the 1990s.

abc123

Gods and Generals extended version, 2003

Not nearly as good as Gettysburg but if you are a Civil War buff and have almost 5 hours to kill, why not?

Heinrich

Quote from: abc123 on July 21, 2020, 12:13:55 PM
Gods and Generals extended version, 2003

Not nearly as good as Gettysburg but if you are a Civil War buff and have almost 5 hours to kill, why not?

Kinda like a scripted, real documentary. Not a gripping, exciting film; it's bereft of token battlefield ballyhoo, but two deleted scenes are tops of favs of mine:
The most despised races in American history given great heft here:

[yt][/yt]

[yt][/yt]
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

recessus

JAWS 2. It's a perfect summer movie and while not the original, a great followup.

[yt][/yt]

There's a lot of fascinating backstory online about JAWS 2, the first blockbuster sequel Hollywood ever produced (if you ignore the prior year's EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC)

A lot of people don't realize that the original director was fired 1/3 way into filming, because his script was darker and more character driven. It got a complete rewrite and roughly half the supporting cast was fired or replaced. All this hangs a unique "what might have been" pall over the movie...

Jacob

I once read about a suggestion for Jaws 2.  The movie should have been about Chief Brody's PTSD.  There would be no actual shark, but Brody thinks there is and acts accordingly and the town acts accordingly to its psycho police chief. :D
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Mono no aware

Kent

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 20, 2020, 11:33:49 AM
The Ladykillers (1955), another great Ealing Studios comedy.  I had added these to my Netflix queue back in 2017 when Peter Hitchens included a list of his favorite movies in a blog post against Dunkirk.  He has good taste in film, which was already evident in that he hated Dunkirk (2017) and liked Ida (2013).  Two of my own favorites, Blader Runner and Groundhog Day, also made his cut.  And I firmly agree with him that cinema has been in decline since the 1990s.

Hitchens may have been biased because of the IMAX experience.  I think Dunkirk is a prime example of a film's directorial vision and production/marketing/distribution vision being misaligned.  It is sold and disseminated as an epic war film, and when experienced in IMAX (I also first saw it in that context) is a veritable barrage on the senses, and mostly forgettable for the same reason that your average Summer blockbuster is forgettable-- worse, even, because Nolan is a much more thoughtful director than someone like Michael Bay or Zach Snyder, so you both get the sense that the film was 'too much' while also getting the sense that there should have been more there.

But really it is a pensive and subtle film, one which requires the kind of attention that cannot really be afforded with blaring speakers and a thirty foot screen.  This at least is my experience, having later purchased it for home theater.

It is at times boringly patriotic, but that is a problem in messaging rather than in the film's actual technique.  I do think the film struggled a bit in toeing the line between patriotism and 'the horrors of war.'  But war films (or at least, WWII films) typically struggle to do this, and are usually better if they pick a lane: either unbridled patriotism or unapologetic focus on the men with dismissiveness of the cause (my preference lies with the latter, although it is almost a cliche at this point because of how popular it has become).
I do profess to be no less than I seem, to serve him truly
that will put me in trust, to love him that is honest, to
converse with him that is wise and says little, to fear
judgment, to fight when I cannot choose, and to eat no fish.

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Kent

Finished Carl Dreyer's filmography last night with his (1964) Gertrud.  Started it last week with his (1925) Master of the House and just watched everything in order.

Nothing really holds up to his (1928) Passion of Joan of Arc.  His last three films-- all spaced about a decade apart after his (1932) Vampyr nearly ruined his career-- were all twisted domestic tales, none really coming close to his late silent and early 'talkie' work, I don't think. 

Gertrud was like reading Joyce.  Too well done to turn away from, but a really miserable story of reckless abandon to modernity masquerading as freedom.
I do profess to be no less than I seem, to serve him truly
that will put me in trust, to love him that is honest, to
converse with him that is wise and says little, to fear
judgment, to fight when I cannot choose, and to eat no fish.