Advent wreath...what do you do

Started by Chestertonian, December 02, 2015, 12:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

advent wreats....wheere do you put them, what do you do with them, when do you light them, how long do you leave them lit

we have always had an advent wreath even before we had children It always goes up on the first sunday of advent

but mostly it just sits there.  we actually still have the same candles that came with it when we received it as a wedding present 11 years ago--shows how often it gets lit

our home altar is in our bedroom since many days i don't leave the bedroom, it also can be set up so that i can have mass said there, which hppens every so often.  sometimes i need to be on home oxygen which means no candles, so if the o2 concentrator is set up, no candles not even for mass

this advent i am home and only on oxygen as needed, so we can light candles.  but what do you do when you light them?  is there a specific prayer you are supposed to say? 

we arent so great at having a shared family prayer routine and are lucky if we have a daily rosary, not even necessarily at the same time.  and a family rosary is great, but it does not vary according to the liturgical seasons
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Kaesekopf

I have an Advent wreath but am lazy in using it.  In the ideal world, however, I would light it in the evening time, to say Vespers and Compline, and then during my pre-sleep 'ritual'/preparation for bed.  That seems most appropriate, I think.

If I had a family, I'd light it for the family rosary/prayer time, etc, or just when I wanted to help set a prayerful atmosphere.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dymphna17

These are the prayers we say.  Where it says Priest, the Husband says it.  We light the candle before we eat and if I'm in the right frame of mind, we sing OCome, O Come Emmanuel.  The candle stays lit until we are done eating.

The following are the Advent wreath prayers that change every week. They are prayed at the lighting of each candle every day during Advent.

Week One:

The first candle is lit, and the prayer for the first week is said.

Priest:

Let us pray.
Stir up Thy might, we beg Thee, O Lord,
and come, so that we may escape through Thy protection
and be saved by Thy help from the dangers
that threaten us because of our sins.
Who livest and reignest for ever and ever.

All: Amen.

During the first week one candle is left burning during the evening meal, at prayers or at bedtime.

Week Two:

Two candles are lit on the second Sunday and allowed to burn as before. The prayer for the week is:

Priest:

Let us pray.
O Lord, stir up our hearts
that we may prepare for Thy only begotten Son,
that through His coming
we may be made worthy to serve Thee with pure souls.
Through the same Christ our Lord.

Week Three:

Three candles, including the rose candle, are lit on Gaudete, the third Sunday, and during that week. The following prayer is said:

Priest:

Let us pray.
We humbly beg Thee, O Lord,
to listen to our prayers;
and by the grace of Thy coming
bring light into our darkened minds.

Week Four:

All four candles are lit on the fourth Sunday and allowed to burn as before. The prayer said the fourth week is:

Priest:

Let us pray.
Stir up Thy might, we pray Thee, O Lord, and come;
rescue us through Thy great strength so that salvation,
which has been hindered by our sins,
may be hastened by the grace of Thy gentle mercy.

?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

GeorgeT

We light it at dinner time. It's in the middle of the kitchen table. There are prayers we say with it for our Christmas ritual, not nothing else. Our prayers usually are said with jessee tree ornament when we do the jessee tree. We light a candle and burn incense on our altar during family rosary.
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html