Gelatin on Fridays?

Started by Daniel, June 12, 2020, 05:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Since gelatin (the ingredient found in non-vegan gummy bears and many other foods) is made from cow hooves, then I was wondering whether we can eat it on Fridays? Seems to fall under a category similar to that of pork rinds, but I'm not sure what the rule is there.

Padraig

I avoid it. I think of it as the ultra-concentrated form of bone broth, which wouldn't be permitted on Fridays.

Now, if you can find fish gelatin on the other hand... (Apparently it's a thing. I've seen reference to it in archival art restoration as a natural adhesive.)

Maximilian

Quote from: Padraig on June 12, 2020, 05:54:33 PM

Now, if you can find fish gelatin on the other hand...

There's agar. Not too hard to buy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agar

Agar (/?e????r/ or /?????r/), or agar-agar, is a jelly-like substance, obtained from red algae.[1]

Agar has been used as an ingredient in desserts throughout Asia, and also as a solid substrate to contain culture media for microbiological work. Agar can be used as a laxative, an appetite suppressant, a vegetarian substitute for gelatin, a thickener for soups, in fruit preserves, ice cream, and other desserts, as a clarifying agent in brewing, and for sizing paper and fabrics.

Jayne

I remember looking it up but I can't remember where, just that I thought it was a good source.  It said that gelatin and collagen powder were permitted on Friday, but pork rinds are not.

That made sense to me because a powder no longer looks or tastes like meat.  Pork rinds look and taste meaty to me.  (Also delicious, but that is beside the point.  :D )
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Lynne

Quote from: Jayne on June 13, 2020, 09:22:57 AM
I remember looking it up but I can't remember where, just that I thought it was a good source.  It said that gelatin and collagen powder were permitted on Friday, but pork rinds are not.

That made sense to me because a powder no longer looks or tastes like meat.  Pork rinds look and taste meaty to me.  (Also delicious, but that is beside the point.  :D )

Oh, that's interesting. I try to remember to use collagen powder each day but have skipped Fridays...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Lynne on June 13, 2020, 09:51:15 AM

Oh, that's interesting. I try to remember to use collagen powder each day but have skipped Fridays...

It never even crossed my mind to omit collagen powder ok Fridays 🤦. I have so many other things I'm scrupulous about, this one slipped my radar 🤣

Lynne

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on June 13, 2020, 11:46:04 AM
Quote from: Lynne on June 13, 2020, 09:51:15 AM

It never even crossed my mind to omit collagen powder ok Fridays 🤦. I have so many other things I'm scrupulous about, this one slipped my radar 🤣

lol I've never thought of myself as scrupulous but here we are.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"