TLM Never Abrogated?

Started by bben15, January 23, 2014, 05:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bben15

Pope Benedict XVI stated in his Summorum Pontificum that the TLM was never abrogated, and its celebration never needed permission. If this was the case, then were the various indults granted irrelevant? Such as the Agatha Christie indult; the 1984 indult; the indult allowing older and infirm priests to celebrate it?

Thank you.

tradne4163

There are differing opinions on it.

As a sedevacantist, to give you one example, I regard the "indults" as irrelevant because Paul VI had no authority over the Liturgy to begin with, so the suppression of the Latin Mass (as well as the promulgation of the New Mass) had no force whatsoever.

Those in the SSPX crowd, as well as many of those who might fall under the Ecclesia Dei/Motu Proprio Mass crowd, will say that as an immemorial custom, the Traditional Mass could not be suppressed, and thus indirectly also say the indults are irrelevant. Well, actually SSPXers will outright say the suppression was illegal.

Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Cesar_Augustus

Well, in practice it was different, Priests were persecuted for example.

Greg

If you could not access the Tridentine mass it was abrogated.  Arguing over legalisms is silly.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Greg on January 23, 2014, 07:40:03 PM
If you could not access the Tridentine mass it was abrogated.  Arguing over legalisms is silly.

I agree.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Kaesekopf

Also agreed.

It's a novel legalism to wash away the last 50 years that Rome and the Curia have treated like trash devout traditionalists and devout Catholics who simply wanted the Mass.

Much like the new prayer for blessing holy water, it means nothing.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

bben15

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 23, 2014, 08:32:29 PM
Also agreed.

It's a novel legalism to wash away the last 50 years that Rome and the Curia have treated like trash devout traditionalists and devout Catholics who simply wanted the Mass.

It seems as if the Tridentine Mass was de facto abolished, but not de jure. But yes, I agree. The 40 years of prohibiting the Mass of the Ages to us is unacceptable, and can't just be forgotten by a simple "it was never abrogated, and its celebration never needed permission." Even today, we have particularly liberal bishops who circumvent Rome and force their personal prejudice towards the TLM on the faithful of their diocese, that is, prohibiting the celebration of the TLM in their diocese.

Not very good bishops, if you ask me. I never understood how forcing your personal prejudice on the faithful of the diocese can be beneficial towards their spiritual welfare.  >:(

Maximilian

Quote from: bben15 on January 23, 2014, 10:20:12 PM

It seems as if the Tridentine Mass was de facto abolished, but not de jure.

I was both de facto and de jure. Benedict's statement was nothing more than a straightforward denial of reality. In fact, Pope Paul VI forbade the Latin Mass, both in theory and in practice.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 23, 2014, 08:32:29 PM
Also agreed.

It seems as if the Tridentine Mass was de facto abolished, but not de jure. But yes, I agree. The 40 years of prohibiting the Mass of the Ages to us is unacceptable, and can't just be forgotten by a simple "it was never abrogated, and its celebration never needed permission." Even today, we have particularly liberal bishops who circumvent Rome and force their personal prejudice towards the TLM on the faithful of their diocese, that is, prohibiting the celebration of the TLM in their diocese.

Not very good bishops, if you ask me. I never understood how forcing your personal prejudice on the faithful of the diocese can be beneficial towards their spiritual welfare.  >:(

You'd be surprised at how quickly bygones are bygones in certain circles.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Greg

Even today, we have particularly liberal bishops who circumvent Rome and force their personal prejudice towards the TLM on the faithful of their diocese, that is, prohibiting the celebration of the TLM in their diocese.

I admire those ones the most.  The are at least being mentally consistent and defending their religion.  It is easy to think of these people as the enemy, but that appears to be a childish and simplistic view to me.

The ones that ban or restrict the TLM in the parishes are sending a clear signal that the new religion and the old are not compatible.  In this way the dolts in the pews can make their choice.

I have long held the suspicion that it is the appeasers in the middle who are the real enemy and now I am convinced of it.  The people who will never call a spade a spade, never speak in simple terms, make excuses for both sides, tell us what they think the Pope really meant, use canonical legalisms to sow confusion everywhere, resort to fideism when rational arguments desert them, call themselves peacemakers and moderates but actually just facilitate a state of permanent tension and confusion.

Over time you lose far more souls to apathy than you would to an all out war.

This is why, l believe a God hates the lukewarm and the excuse makers so much and wants to vomit them out of His mouth.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

nmoerbeek

Quote from: Greg on January 24, 2014, 04:02:09 AM
Even today, we have particularly liberal bishops who circumvent Rome and force their personal prejudice towards the TLM on the faithful of their diocese, that is, prohibiting the celebration of the TLM in their diocese.

I have long held the suspicion that it is the appeasers in the middle who are the real enemy and now I am convinced of it.  The people who will never call a spade a spade, never speak in simple terms, make excuses for both sides, tell us what they think the Pope really meant, use canonical legalisms to sow confusion everywhere, resort to fideism when rational arguments desert them, call themselves peacemakers and moderates but actually just facilitate a state of permanent tension and confusion.

Over time you lose far more souls to apathy than you would to an all out war.

This is why, l believe a God hates the lukewarm and the excuse makers so much and wants to vomit them out of His mouth.

"When you hear anyone spoken ill of, make the accusation doubtful if you can do so justly.  If you cannot, excuse the intention of the accused party.  If that cannot be done, express sympathy for him [and] change the subject of the conversation"  St Frances De Sales, Introduction to the Devout Life pg 205

It is a hard line to walk when discussing our neighbor and not cross over into sin.  It is better to condemn ideas and ignorance rather than people.

Also the term lukewarm is much more broad than the fervor of the confession of our lips, but is to describe the zeal at which we amend our whole life in conquering sin and growing in virtue. 
"Let me, however, beg of Your Beatitude...
not to think so much of what I have written, as of my good and kind intentions. Please look for the truths of which I speak rather than for beauty of expression. Where I do not come up to your expectations, pardon me, and put my shortcomings down, please, to lack of time and stress of business." St. Bonaventure, From the Preface of Holiness of Life.

Apostolate:
http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Contributor:
http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/
Lay Association:
http://www.militiatempli.net/

Parresia

If the TLM was never officially abrogated, then a whole bunch of priests and members of the laity were treated unjustly by the Church for decades.  The Church needs to own up to that. 

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Parresia on January 29, 2014, 08:27:13 AM
If the TLM was never officially abrogated, then a whole bunch of priests and members of the laity were treated unjustly by the Church for decades.  The Church needs to own up to that.

Also this.
If we can apologize for the Crusades, Inquisition, etc...

Parresia

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 29, 2014, 11:26:42 AM
Quote from: Parresia on January 29, 2014, 08:27:13 AM

Also this.
If we can apologize for the Crusades, Inquisition, etc...

Ding ding ding. 

OSB Melitensis

Quote from: bben15 on January 23, 2014, 05:30:59 PM
Pope Benedict XVI stated in his Summorum Pontificum that the TLM was never abrogated, and its celebration never needed permission. If this was the case, then were the various indults granted irrelevant? Such as the Agatha Christie indult; the 1984 indult; the indult allowing older and infirm priests to celebrate it?

Thank you.

Yes and no. The previous indults were needed in view of the consistent attacks by the hierarchy. Then Summorum Pontificum was needed because of various reasons, specified in the link:

http://pro-tridentina-malta.blogspot.com/2012/09/fifth-anniversary-of-summorum-pontificum_14.html 

In Malta, the TLM was de facto suppressed and although there was a resurgence between 2007 - 2011, since the pontificate of Francis began, it's become a rarity.
"In ancient times, our forefathers sowed the seeds of the wheat of faith in that field which is the Church. It would be quite unjust and improper if we, their descendents, gathered, instead of the genuine truth of wheat, the false tares of error. On the contrary, it is logically correct that the beginning and the end be in agreement, that we reap from the planting of the wheat of doctrine the harvest of the wheat of dogma. In this way, none of the Characteristics of the seed is changed, although something evolved in the course of time from those first seeds and has now expanded under careful cultivation. What may be added is merely appearance, beauty, and distinction, but the proper nature of each kind remains."  St. Vincent of Lerins