Watched Oppenheimer the movie

Started by Greg, July 27, 2023, 04:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

I thought it was rather rubbish.  Too emotional and only about 1 or the 3 hours was about the bomb.  Matt Damon's character was the only person I did not want to kill.

I would recommend a good documentary or podcast about the Manhattan project.

Also the movie has sex scenes in it which are pretty gratuitous and completely unnecessary
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Greg on July 27, 2023, 04:53:47 PMAlso the movie has sex scenes in it which are pretty gratuitous and completely unnecessary

IMDB's "parents guide" makes it very easy to find out which films contain this sort of filth and avoid them entirely.
this page left intentionally blank

Miriam_M

Quote from: Greg on July 27, 2023, 04:53:47 PMI thought it was rather rubbish.  Too emotional and only about 1 or the 3 hours was about the bomb.  Matt Damon's character was the only person I did not want to kill.

I would recommend a good documentary or podcast about the Manhattan project.

Also the movie has sex scenes in it which are pretty gratuitous and completely unnecessary

And your last sentence is precisely why I watch almost no modern movies.  They're considered "not movies" unless an irrelevant sex scene is artificially added.

The Manhattan Project was not a Sex Project. I refuse to add to the company's revenue for that reason alone, but thank you for the additional artistic review.

Miriam_M

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on July 28, 2023, 02:58:38 PM
Quote from: Greg on July 27, 2023, 04:53:47 PMAlso the movie has sex scenes in it which are pretty gratuitous and completely unnecessary

IMDB's "parents guide" makes it very easy to find out which films contain this sort of filth and avoid them entirely.

This one, too, but it appears not to be as current at the moment.  (When my children were younger, I regularly checked with this website.)
https://www.screenit.com/search_movies_by_artistic_rating.html

Melkor

Looks ok but probably won't watch due to sex scene. Or maybe I'll watch with one of my sisters and they can fast forward or whatever.

I like Cillian Murphy, I've seen clips of Peaky Blinders and it looks amazing.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Aethel

I actually rather liked Oppenheimer. I think they did a great job at showing what his mindset was and how it shifted from before and after. Although I agree it was too long, and the whole Greco-Roman and Hindu mythological imagery went nowhere in the film.

Miriam_M

Here you go, Greg.  Perhaps you already saw this.  I have not yet seen the documentary referred to here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/27/movies/day-after-trinity-oppenheimer-documentary.html

Greg

I suppose you know the SSPX priest Daniel Oppenheimer is a relation of his?
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Greg on July 30, 2023, 10:35:08 AMI suppose you know the SSPX priest Daniel Oppenheimer is a relation of his?
Yea! I hear he is really 'the bomb'  :laugh:   
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

clau clau

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)