Rick and Morty Clip

Started by dellery, June 24, 2021, 09:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dellery

Quote from: TheReturnofLiveThink Redditors who unironically watch Rick and Morty or Young Sheldon, and laugh at it as if they are the only ones who understand it.

Never seen this show before, but somebody just sent me this clip which is very satisfying.
Judging from the people I know that watch this show, it probably shouldn't be recommended, but I'm not sure.

Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: dellery on June 24, 2021, 09:16:51 PM
Quote from: TheReturnofLiveThink Redditors who unironically watch Rick and Morty or Young Sheldon, and laugh at it as if they are the only ones who understand it.

Never seen this show before, but somebody just sent me this clip which is very satisfying.
Judging from the people I know that watch this show, it probably shouldn't be recommended, but I'm not sure.

Oh boy.

It's definitely an "adult show" in the same sense that shows like Family Guy and SouthPark are - crass, juvenile, and adolescent. However, unlike those shows, it's sense of humor is a lot more dry, surreal, and sarcastic. I used to watch it when I was a lot younger.

As far as crass / adult shows like that go, you missed the boat at the show's prime (the first two seasons), and while there are some jokes that are funny here and there from Season 3 onwards, the show initially seemed to have character development and a moral message (ironically), but now the show has become incredibly flandarized and even more juvenile due to commercialization and the type of people a show like this attracts, with no meaning behind the show other than "lol Nihilist scientist ha ha sex joke ha ha"

Also, their fanbase is notoriously obnoxious; they're synonymous with neckbeard, effeminate nice-guys on Reddit who think they are geniuses with their Corporate Liberal political takes.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

dellery

Yeah... I watched the episode that contained the above clip and could barely finish it. Not Recommended.

What you say about the fanbase does seem to be true and it is definitely the same with Reddit people. You can accurately peg them for being braindead Redditors with the first few minutes of a conversation.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions

GiftOfGod

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.  ;D

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid  8)
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: GiftOfGod on June 25, 2021, 06:24:31 PM
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.  ;D

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid  8)
:lol:

Top post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

andy

Cannot wait for Insanis's response!

dellery

Quote from: andy on June 25, 2021, 06:43:37 PM
Cannot wait for Insanis's responce!

This is a high IQ thread; your childish taunts are not welcome here.

Nous Defions

andy

Quote from: dellery on June 25, 2021, 06:59:54 PM

This is a high IQ thread; your childish taunts are not welcome here.

Oops. You better create a high IQ sub so people like me are not confused.

dellery

Quote from: andy on June 25, 2021, 07:10:17 PM

Oops. You better create a high IQ sub so people like me are not confused.

You still need to fix the grammar in your taunting post. Maybe a second edit will finally do the job.

Nous Defions

andy

Quote from: dellery on June 25, 2021, 07:12:33 PM
You still need to fix the grammar in your taunting post. Maybe a second edit will finally do the job.

How many languages do you speak?

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: GiftOfGod on June 25, 2021, 06:24:31 PM

Classic
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

TheSaintsAreComing

I like the idea of a series set in a wild sci-fi setting with small limitations of what can happen, but while I've seen some episodes that were funny it's way too gross and nihilistic overall for me to appreciate
I'm gone

Kaesekopf

Fourteen day ban for this.  The sniping and comments are out of line. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

andy

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 27, 2021, 11:16:50 PM

Fourteen day ban for this.  The sniping and comments are out of line. 

I found a way to escape the jail week earlier LOL. I truly wish you had a better sense of humor though. My comments were not personal. No regrets here. Would do that again.

Insanis

Quote from: andy on July 05, 2021, 07:54:18 PM
I found a way to escape the jail week earlier LOL. I truly wish you had a better sense of humor though. My comments were not personal. No regrets here. Would do that again.

In case you were wondering, I never watched the show and I figured it was just an animated show for a more mature audience like so many such shows.

While they often contain less than wholesome content, I don't think most are occasions of sin for viewers who want some simple entertainment.

(This is not an endorsement of any particular show or episode, and it is not a condemnation of any of them either.)