[Poll] What is your approach to music?

Started by Insanis, June 01, 2021, 05:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insanis

I was thinking about music and one's approach to music and how easy it is to listen to music of one's choice at almost any time, and I wondered what the overall trend here is in addressing how it is consumed.

So, all signs pointed to it being a good topic for a poll.

The options are geared to one's actual behaviors in regard to music, and aren't meant to indicate one approves or disapproves of any particular music (except maybe the first two options).

Bernadette

I listen to cello music and occasionally to Sinatra (early) or Rod Stewart's Great American Songbook. I have some religious music (hymns and chant), but I don't listen to it very often.
My Lord and my God.

Jayne

I hardly ever listen to music.  Of the little I do listen to, probably the main thing I listen to at home is liturgical/spiritual.  I also occasionally track down an old half-remembered song to find out how it goes, but I don't keep listening to it once my curiosity is satisfied.  Pre-Covid I would go to live (classical) concert performances, but more to show support for my musician friends than for the music itself.

Most of the time, when I'm alone, I appreciate the silence so much that I don't want to ruin it with music.

I didn't feel that any of the poll answers were a really good fit, but I picked the liturgical option since that was somewhat close.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Insanis

Quote from: Jayne on June 01, 2021, 06:06:24 PM
I didn't feel that any of the poll answers were a really good fit, but I picked the liturgical option since that was somewhat close.

I forgot people like you existed. Sorry.

For anybody else like this, the most restrictive option is best for this to indicate one doesn't seek out secular music much at all.

Melkor

I listen to a good mix of everything. Except hip hop, pop, or rap. Careful attention to lyrics and the artist. Ok with swear words but not blasphemy. Any evidence of satanism and out the band goes.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on June 01, 2021, 06:08:43 PM
I listen to a good mix of everything. Except hip hop, pop, or rap. Careful attention to lyrics and the artist. Ok with swear words but not blasphemy.

Electronic, Industrial?

QuoteAny evidence of satanism and out the band goes.

So says Melkor, eh?

How do you find evidence of Satanism? (Historically, this has been one of those accusations against random bands for having secret Satanic messages, so I'm not sure if you are referring to card carrying Satanists, occult references, or less clearly explicit signs of it.)

Melkor

Quote from: Insanis on June 01, 2021, 06:11:33 PM
Quote from: Melkor on June 01, 2021, 06:08:43 PM
I listen to a good mix of everything. Except hip hop, pop, or rap. Careful attention to lyrics and the artist. Ok with swear words but not blasphemy.

Electronic, Industrial?

QuoteAny evidence of satanism and out the band goes.

So says Melkor, eh?

How do you find evidence of Satanism? (Historically, this has been one of those accusations against random bands for having secret Satanic messages, so I'm not sure if you are referring to card carrying Satanists, occult references, or less clearly explicit signs of it.)

I was talking mainstream genres, not niche ones.

Any explicit satanic imagery, outrageous blasphemy, or band members who are occult. It is actually pretty easy to get a feel for a band by looking at album covers and looking up lyrics.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Miriam_M

I'm from a musical family and a musician myself.  What's true about musicians is that we value all music that meets standards of art and craft, which means that this taste will also cross all genres and eras, to locate those standards. 

I love all very good music.  Since popular music devolved after the last great era of classic rock (especially the late '60's and early '70's), I have found very little to respect in more modern popular music -- only an occasional artist who's an outlier for current trends. 

But the fact that I can appreciate artistic value in excellent popular music does not mean that I listen to it often, any longer, or that I seek out Classic rock on any regular basis.  My favorite music remains the canon of classical music, which includes, however, modern music of that genre.

I love excellent country, excellent jazz, excellent folk, and I'm wild about reggae (always have been).  Also quality international music in general.  Still, my go-to genre is classical, with a special affinity for the French and Italian baroque.

I find rap to be repulsive and to be limited as a musical form, being that it is only metric and not melodic. I see some musicality in some hip-hop; however, again, the message and the language are often unacceptable. 

Standards of musical excellence come first.  Then comes mere personal preference within those standards, which for me is classical-dominant.  People can call me a snob, but there really are differences in quality.  Take, for example, LatinX music: in my neighborhood it is mostly the super-low-class stuff that is played:  trash.  But there exists much more artistic music of that category that is heard less often; one has to seek it out or stumble upon someone playing it.

I do listen to liturgical music as well, but since I sing so much of it, it's not necessarily how I relax.  I help others choose liturgical music, so I have to listen to a lot of it, anyway.

Michael Wilson

I had a collection of classical music records, including Gregorian Chant that I listened to; but I realized that with the limited time that I had for leisure, I had to make a choice between listening to music or reading books about Catholicism; I chose the latter. I tried reading while listening to classical music, but the music just pulled me in, and I couldn't concentrate on my reading. I finally gave away my stereo system and record collection.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The Curt Jester

I mostly listen to liturgical music and folk music.  I find it to be the most suitable for my children since I can't trust much that comes out these days, not that I like current style anyway.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

red solo cup

Quote from: Miriam_M on June 01, 2021, 07:29:02 PM
I'm from a musical family and a musician myself.  What's true about musicians is that we value all music that meets standards of art and craft, which means that this taste will also cross all genres and eras, to locate those standards. 

I love all very good music.  Since popular music devolved after the last great era of classic rock (especially the late '60's and early '70's), I have found very little to respect in more modern popular music -- only an occasional artist who's an outlier for current trends. 

But the fact that I can appreciate artistic value in excellent popular music does not mean that I listen to it often, any longer, or that I seek out Classic rock on any regular basis.  My favorite music remains the canon of classical music, which includes, however, modern music of that genre.

I love excellent country, excellent jazz, excellent folk, and I'm wild about reggae (always have been).  Also quality international music in general.  Still, my go-to genre is classical, with a special affinity for the French and Italian baroque.

I find rap to be repulsive and to be limited as a musical form, being that it is only metric and not melodic. I see some musicality in some hip-hop; however, again, the message and the language are often unacceptable. 

Standards of musical excellence come first.  Then comes mere personal preference within those standards, which for me is classical-dominant.  People can call me a snob, but there really are differences in quality.  Take, for example, LatinX music: in my neighborhood it is mostly the super-low-class stuff that is played:  trash.  But there exists much more artistic music of that category that is heard less often; one has to seek it out or stumble upon someone playing it.

I do listen to liturgical music as well, but since I sing so much of it, it's not necessarily how I relax.  I help others choose liturgical music, so I have to listen to a lot of it, anyway.
+1
non impediti ratione cogitationis

clau clau

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Frank

in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

Insanis

Quote from: Frank on June 02, 2021, 06:08:23 AM

????.......I couldn't find 4'33"

That is the title of the piece.

QuoteFollowing measures taken by the Federal and regional authorities in Germany to contain the corona pandemic, the Philharmonie Berlin will be closed from 2 to 30 November 2020. In view of this, the Berliner Philharmoniker and their chief conductor Kirill Petrenko added another work, 4'33'' by John Cage, to their concert from 31 October.

clau clau

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)