The Parish Hall > Family Life

How does homeschooling multiple children work?

(1/4) > >>

GiftOfGod:
How can the teacher lecture if other students of different levels are in the same room? Is most of homeschooling reading and working out of books? Just curious.

Insanis:

--- Quote from: GiftOfGod on May 25, 2021, 01:15:06 AM ---How can the teacher lecture if other students of different levels are in the same room? Is most of homeschooling reading and working out of books? Just curious.

--- End quote ---

I have no personal experience, but regular school rooms are full of people at different levels. Regular school is more about managing crowds and dealing with boredom than education.

The basics are the same for everybody though, so one focuses on that. Then, one can exercise flexibility for the more capable.

Also, older ones can help younger.

GiftOfGod:

--- Quote from: Insanis on May 25, 2021, 01:17:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: GiftOfGod on May 25, 2021, 01:15:06 AM ---How can the teacher lecture if other students of different levels are in the same room? Is most of homeschooling reading and working out of books? Just curious.

--- End quote ---

I have no personal experience, but regular school rooms are full of people at different levels.

--- End quote ---

By levels I meant grades. If you have a kindergartener, a third-grader, a sixth-grader, and a tenth-grader...what do you do?

Insanis:

--- Quote from: GiftOfGod on May 25, 2021, 01:21:54 AM ---By levels I meant grades. If you have a kindergartener, a third-grader, a sixth-grader, and a tenth-grader...what do you do?

--- End quote ---

Grades are a construct, not reflecting reality that much.

People almost always progress faster than public school grades allow, so the distinction is for legal purposes only.

As for your scenario, that is pretty good for learning.

Are you picturing kids sitting all together and a parent lecturing them as a group? That is not how learning works. I'm sure it is a lot more flexible depending on circumstances, and one can just have different focuses at different times.

Think of it as an extension of parenting. How does one raise the kids? One probably teaches them the same basic way.

MundaCorMeum:
For not having any experience, Insanis is pretty spot on.  I have 8 kids, and I basically do what he laid out.  I do have a block of time in the morning where I "lecture" as a group....the younger ones are around and listening in (my 4 year old can quote Shakespeare, sing chant, and knows who Plutarch is - or atleast his name, anyway), but only the 8 year old on up are required to sit in on those lessons. I cover literature (in the form of family read alouds, varying the reading level with each book), picture study (again, 4 year old can do this), music appreciation, chant and sacred music, history, geography, folk music and solfa.  I have a loop that I work through.  After that, we take a short mid-morning break, then the children have a spiral notebook with their own studies assigned, tailored to their level.  The only true education is self education, so for the older ones, I mostly guide, check work, and engage in discussions.  Until a child can read, I am very hands on.  For the non-readers, we stick with math, phonics, religion, and a read aloud loop in which I read a different book each day to them from either literature, history, or science.  My oldest is musically talented, so she teaches piano to some of her siblings.  It's not for the faint of heart, to be sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version